Property line site/source

kreagerc

FNG
Hey all, Ohio whitetail hunter here. I'm looking for a reliable site/source to show property lines between public and private. Ideally, a free source would be great. Not sure I trust the Google map on my phone. I know ONx is reliable, but figure I'd check with you all before forking over some money.

All states should have a free GIS mapping service. This should show all property lines. Of course some counties and states will be more accurate than others depending on funding etc.

Google "county" ohio gis mapping, should produce something.

OP
kreagerc

kreagerc

FNG
Thank you. Never went the county route for the GIS maps. Rookie mistake I guess.

WCB

WKR
I agree look specifically for your county. either use GIS or Plats as a descriptor in your search

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The cost of something like Gaia GPS is not all that much, and having property lines, hunting units, Etc displayed on the map you are using in the field can be quite helpful. I find it worth paying for. I was only using Alaska's online GIS service, it is still a good tool, but I would not opt to go back to it exclusively.

Some of it depends on where and how you are hunting. As I walk into my hunting area and continue to walk as I hunt, it is nice to see exactly when I cross that line and can or cannot take an animal.

OP
kreagerc

kreagerc

FNG
The cost of something like Gaia GPS is not all that much, and having property lines, hunting units, Etc displayed on the map you are using in the field can be quite helpful. I find it worth paying for. I was only using Alaska's online GIS service, it is still a good tool, but I would not opt to go back to it exclusively.

Some of it depends on where and how you are hunting. As I walk into my hunting area and continue to walk as I hunt, it is nice to see exactly when I cross that line and can or cannot take an animal.
Never heard of Gaia. Thank you for the incite. I agree with you on the instant update. Benefits to Gaia over ONx? Or does it come down to personal preference.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Never heard of Gaia. Thank you for the incite. I agree with you on the instant update. Benefits to Gaia over ONx? Or does it come down to personal preference.

I have not used ONx, so cannot compare. Gaia GPS is considered the gold standard by many of the hikers, mountaineers, back country skiers, avalanche professionals, and SAR people I have spoken with. So it is what I decided to use. I also have US Topo Maps Pro as it was cheaper and a one time purchase, but have not used it in the field since getting a Gaia subscription (which I got when I started volunteer SAR).

I think ONx has a few hunting specific features that Gaia does not (plus you can get a chip for ONx if you run a Garmin GPS). From what I can tell, Gaia has more features in general and is cheaper per year.

This comes from Gaia, so take it for what it is. https://blog.gaiagps.com/gaia-gps-vs-onx-hunt/

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Love OnX. Heard good things about Gaia. If you are just doing Ohio, I think OnX is only $29/year and I would say well worth it. More for whole country. They don't have all states for all hunting layers so check first.

Best thing with OnX is being able to download maps for offline use in the mountains. Put phone in airplane mode and GPS still works. Syncs with my account on pc for easy e-scouting and posting waypoints.

Brendan

WKR
Gaia is $40 a year. OnX is $100 a year for a comparable package. Functionality is very similar - both can show public / private. Both work without cell signal and you can download maps for use offline. Both sync with a web app on your PC. Most of the difference is just interface / personal preference, or small details here and there.

If you only want one state, you can get OnX cheaper, and I've seen sales / discounts here and there.

To be fair, Basemap is another option with similar functionality, lots of threads here if you search. I've used all three, and currently only pay for Gaia.

Pretty sure they all use the exact same data sources - County GIS records which you can often get for free if you're interested in something limited.

sram9102

WKR
Just search for the GIS that whatever county you hunt uses. I would be leery about trusting any of the mapping software to accurately place the property lines. I work with our GIS daily and we have places where the lines are off by 30/40 feet in some places and that is on city lots. Could be an issue if you plan to hunt near the boundaries.

ONX has been good for me. I work for a highway dept developing projects and I even use it in the field when looking at projects and I am on my own, dont have survey crew support. I have found that for the most part it is pretty damn accurate.

Stonebear

FNG
GIS will probably be the most accurate, but as many have said, can still be off.

I have tried both OnX and Gaia. I really wanted to like OnX because I like supporting hunting-specific companies, but I find Gaia superior for my needs. I really like their map selections and interface. I have also tested location accuracy back-to-back on downloaded maps and Gaia was far more accurate in my area.