Pros & Cons of setting up a base camp.

Kushtekaa

FNG
We have fairly good mountain goat hunting in my area, but they are difficult to get to because of our 'U'-shaped glacier valleys & lower elev. brush. I could hunt from my house every morning & do the 3,000 ft. ascent everyday or throw the extra gear in the pack & hunt from a basecamp. Guys generally due the former around here (with some success), but I figured my success would go up if I hunted out of a base camp? What say you?

I think I would call a small temporary camp a "spike camp", but yeah it works. I've climbed up and done spike camps at brushline on both Kodiak and PWS. We even shot two different billies right from the tent one year. In my limited experience they aren't nearly as likely as a sheep to get antsy and leave the country, but it's still probably a good idea to keep the camp somewhat concealed and better yet downwind of the area holding goats.

You local guide commonly spike camps with his clients. I'd say it's a pretty well established technique for your area, even if the locals may not always do it that way.

The only drawback is that you have to get the goat AND camp back down the mountain, which is not something done in a single load. But given the size of your goats, you probably aren't single tripping a goat anyway?

^^^Agree. Even when I'm getting flown in and putting up a base camp right there, I always hike in/up and spike camp. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only way to goat hunt. If I can bed down within close proximity of 'em, that's what I'm doing. I'm too lazy to hike several miles and several thousand feet every day just to get within range.

Natevon04

FNG
I’m with Troutbum, we almost always try to spike out whether it’s goats, elk, bear.. he’s right, for me it’s out of
Laziness but that’s kind of an oxymoron bc obviously your packing more weight and making, most likely if you kill something, another trip but to me it makes the entire experience more enjoyable. But with the job/ family life I have I can’t go every single weekend so it just works out to spend 4-7 days and get after it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
You are pretty much committed to an area if you spike camp. A lot depends upon how easy your access is to the goats! You better be in A-1 shape if you intend on hiking in and out each day to access different goat areas! If you are certain goats are in an area and have several days to hunt from a base camp I think you would be a lot better off than going back and forth through jungle several days.

It obviously helps having experience with the right kind of gear for a spike camp. A lot of guys just starting off bring WAY more than what they need. Once you get the logistics figured out a spike camp works pretty darn well.

Where I hunt goats here in Colo it's possible to cover lots of alpine country without the hassle of having to penetrate devil's club and alder "jungles" that are common on the coast of Alaska. It is physically demanding, time consuming, and frustrating getting through these jungles to the alpine ....especially with a hefty, bulky pack! I can't imagine doing this many days in a row unless there is a decent trail or route directly to the alpine.

I'll also add that it's really nice to be able to hike/hunt hard all day and when it's quitting time, you just quit. Whether because it's getting dark, you're just tired, you found the perfect place to spike, or you've finely got set up on some goats. Just drop your pack, set up your spike camp and call it a day. There's no worrying about what time it is and weather or not you're going to have enough time to make it back to base camp before it gets dark, etc.

Not knowing the particulars of your area...but I'd sure go with a light base/spike camp. 3K and x-miles to get to hunting is going to get old fast if you haven't connected after a few days. Plus if your home I'd so close, getting out in one load isn't as critical. Hell, so can haul your goat out and go back in to collect your camp the next weekend! I'm biased though, I always (usually) enjoy a high camp....

Jimss

WKR
Another consideration is weather! Unless you are lucky with the weather you may spend a lot of time just waiting for clear view of the goat hills without clouds! Pick your days wisely!

Natevon04

FNG
Another consideration is weather! Unless you are lucky with the weather you may spend a lot of time just waiting for clear view of the goat hills without clouds! Pick your days wisely!

^^^bingo. In goat country if there is rain or snow in the forecast just stay home. Not bc your a weenie but bc you won’t be able to see your hand in front of your face through the fog!

^^^bingo. In goat country if there is rain or snow in the forecast just stay home. Not bc your a weenie but bc you won’t be able to see your hand in front of your face through the fog!

Rain or snow in the forecast?? Don’t ever plan on hunting goats on Kodiak then. Even on the most beautiful days there’s always a chance for rain and snow. Oh, and wind too, like cat 5 hurricane kind of winds, later on in the afternoon.

Natevon04

FNG
Must be an elevation thing. I think the highest point on Kodiak is like 4000’? Down here You can wait it out if it’s gonna snow for a day or two during your trip but otherwise your wasting your time IME. If the weather forecast is bad, I’d move your trip ahead or back a couple days if you can.

Jimss

WKR
From my experience in the Misty Fjord's the later you delay into the season the higher the chance for rain, snow, and horrible weather. It obviously changes from one year to the next but we generally try to hunt as early in the season as possible. One of the down-sides to that is goat hair isn't as much of a premium! It's also nice having super long day length!

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
From my experience in the Misty Fjord's the later you delay into the season the higher the chance for rain, snow, and horrible weather. It obviously changes from one year to the next but we generally try to hunt as early in the season as possible. One of the down-sides to that is goat hair isn't as much of a premium! It's also nice having super long day length!
Yes, the "monsoons", as I like to call them, start around mid-August here & continue until mid-Jan. Although by the time you get into mid-Nov. in my area it is usually snow, but we've been getting a lot of freeze thaw events the first half of winter, which was not the case 20 years ago. Absolutely, the earlier in the season you go the better your chance of good weather.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I have zero input other than to state how insanely jealous I am that you can hunt mt goat from your house!!!

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
I have zero input other than to state how insanely jealous I am that you can hunt mt goat from your house!!!
Well don't get too jealous, we pay for it with the shoulder season climate 'wet & cold + mud', groceries that are twice as much and fuel that's at least 50% higher. We live in a very small home to make up the difference.