Prosthetic nebraska muzzleloader muley

ritt1991

FNG
hey guys, I'm new to the page & wanted to ask a few questions!
1 yr ago I lost my right leg above knee in a motorcycle accident. I have been working hard on exercising & gaining walking strength back on my "new" leg!
My fiancé & I are looking to go to the Scottsbluff or Chadron area for a muzzleloader hunt this fall.
Does anyone have any helpful information on that area? Maybe certain areas that would be easier for me to walk than others? Obviously I'd like to hunt private ground but I'm guessing it is getting tough to come by out there just like it is here (central mn).
Thanks guys. I look forward to comments!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the public land near Chadron is fairly rugged it's generally referred to as the Pine Ridge the canyons are fairly deep and rugged the national forest south of Chadron is pretty rough with a lot of deep canyons. The public area to the West of Chadron actually West of Fort Rob. is big canyon that are steep but does have both deer and elk. I think if walking is difficult I would look to other areas. The Valentine National Refugee, it is rolling Sandhills with good road access. The McElvie National Forest Southwest of Valentine would also be more suitable terrain but will be tough hunting in December. The Fort Niobrara NWR has decent terrain but is a draw for the Muzzy deer access a good part of its 20,000 acres would be suitable to limited walking ability. Possibly the easiest terrain for walking but it is huge is the Crescent Lake NWR East of Alliance it's size and low density of deer depending on the weather may make it difficult for you. I wish you the best of luck and keep at it, public muzzy loader hunting is getting harder in Nebraska as more out of state hunters are lengthening their seasons by hitting limited public land in December. https://maps.outdoornebraska.gov/PublicAccessAtlas/
Best of Luck!

OP
R

ritt1991

FNG
Most of the public land near Chadron is fairly rugged it's generally referred to as the Pine Ridge the canyons are fairly deep and rugged the national forest south of Chadron is pretty rough with a lot of deep canyons. The public area to the West of Chadron actually West of Fort Rob. is big canyon that are steep but does have both deer and elk. I think if walking is difficult I would look to other areas. The Valentine National Refugee, it is rolling Sandhills with good road access. The McElvie National Forest Southwest of Valentine would also be more suitable terrain but will be tough hunting in December. The Fort Niobrara NWR has decent terrain but is a draw for the Muzzy deer access a good part of its 20,000 acres would be suitable to limited walking ability. Possibly the easiest terrain for walking but it is huge is the Crescent Lake NWR East of Alliance it's size and low density of deer depending on the weather may make it difficult for you. I wish you the best of luck and keep at it, public muzzy loader hunting is getting harder in Nebraska as more out of state hunters are lengthening their seasons by hitting limited public land in December. https://maps.outdoornebraska.gov/PublicAccessAtlas/
Best of Luck!
What about like Buffalo creek, bead mtn & those areas in the wildcat mtns? Or the public land that is to the west of there?
Thank you!

OP
R

ritt1991

FNG
I should say I'm actually pretty open to anywhere to hunt with hopes of mule deer over whitetail.
This is also going to be Honeymoon trip for my soon to be wife & I so success would be nice! Haha
Any help of areas to look into would be fantastic!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
The Wildcat Hills is the only one I'm personally familiar with and it isn't very large. You are pretty close to large population centers for Nebraska, Scottsbluff and Gering and I would guess they get hit pretty hard since they are only a few miles out of town. The Wildcat Hills is pretty steep terrain.

jmez

WKR
Might consider western SD. Terrain would be easier than NW NE. A lot of mule deer, a lot of public land.

Not sure how muzzleloader pressure is, have never been out in gun season

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
R

ritt1991

FNG
Might consider western SD. Terrain would be easier than NW NE. A lot of mule deer, a lot of public land.

Not sure how muzzleloader pressure is, have never been out in gun season

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I believe you have to apply for a muzzleloader buck tag in SD.

The Oglala National Grassland north of Crawford is rolling hills. That would be easy walking compared to some of the public wma out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
R

ritt1991

FNG
The Oglala National Grassland north of Crawford is rolling hills. That would be easy walking compared to some of the public wma out there.

Oglala is a draw unit i believe. Im looking for area that we can OTC tag. Thank you!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Oglala is a draw unit i believe. Im looking for area that we can OTC tag. Thank you!

Muzzy tags in Nebraska are unlimited no draw units in the state for Muzzy. I wouldn't hunt the grasslands for deer unless you are just interested in a good walk. I've hunted it some for antelope with some success and don't believe I've ever seen more than 1 or 2 deer on the grasslands.

OP
R

ritt1991

FNG
Muzzy tags in Nebraska are unlimited no draw units in the state for Muzzy. I wouldn't hunt the grasslands for deer unless you are just interested in a good walk. I've hunted it some for antelope with some success and don't believe I've ever seen more than 1 or 2 deer on the grasslands.
So if I'm correct after re-reading the regulations- muzzy is statewide except in the mule deer conservation area in South part of state & oglala is just buck muley only.

So if I'm correct after re-reading the regulations- muzzy is statewide except in the mule deer conservation area in South part of state & oglala is just buck muley only.
I know the last time I had a rifle tag for antelope there 2 years ago. Seen several signs posted that said only muley bucks to be taken. Saw a couple nice bucks while antelope hunting.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider