Protect your gear from being stolen?

Maki35

WKR
They make all sorts of long gun lock boxes/vaults for different types of vehicles. (Google search).
They make a back seat lockbox for pickups (it replaces the the storage bin under the backseat).
or a lock box in the bed (but I would also use a hard shell lockable bed cover or lockable cap to cover it.)

there's also the shotlock vault that can be mounted vertical/horizonal in the back of the cab to secure your long gun.

Attachments

• lockbox2.jpg
    lockbox2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 89
  • shotlock 1.jpg
    shotlock 1.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Opah

WKR
My Favorite was a windshield sunscreen with a scope cross hairs on it saying,
I can see you punk, feeling lucky ?
These are good also, my best suggestion is to not invite them by temptation
Travel with what you need to hunt leave nothing to attract attention to your vehicle
I will leave my glove box and center console open showing nothing here. You still may
get a broken window ( pissed frustration ) but most times they will pass you by

1599513371821.png

1599513483856.png

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
A friend of mine just had her truck stolen but they were able recover some if their stuff with tiles.

Gun case or spare surfboard are the most expensive things I've left in the SUV for many years. Drive an SUV to not have stuff in a truck bed.

I have posted a sign on the dash saying "I'm nearby with a high powered rifle, maybe watching you right now". :giggle:

Rokbar

WKR
If you're leaving any firearm make sure you have serial numbers recorded just in case.

eoperator

WKR
Not only physical items either, some puke got ahold of my debit card # yesterday and ran up $460 in random charges all in California before card protection shut it off. Even better the way the purchases were made I have to contest fraudulent charges. After this I think I will ditch the debit card and just use credit card.

MeatBuck

WKR
I have posted a sign on the dash saying "I'm nearby with a high powered rifle, maybe watching you right now". :giggle:
I thought of this but chp checks my rig where I park, may not go over so well.
Sitting there behind the binos suddenly hear over load speaker “come down form your hideout, we’ve got you surrounded”....

gelton

WKR
I don’t worry about it, I have insurance and am thereto enjoy my trip. I tend to keep expensive items out of clear view, but that goes for anytime not just hunting.
From my understanding, most insurance does not cover the contents of a vehicle, just the vehicle. At least in my one experience with this, my daughter's friend had her car broken into and her purse was stolen and she was SOL when it came to insurance. That being said I bought a topper to keep my things in the bed more secure for this exact reason...not going to stop a thief but will keep honest people honest.

brsnow

WKR
From my understanding, most insurance does not cover the contents of a vehicle, just the vehicle. At least in my one experience with this, my daughter's friend had her car broken into and her purse was stolen and she was SOL when it came to insurance. That being said I bought a topper to keep my things in the bed more secure for this exact reason...not going to stop a thief but will keep honest people honest.

It is a good idea to understand what insurance coverage you need and get an appropriate amount of coverage.

gelton

WKR
As many of us head out with all our expensive gear...what do you do to prevent theft? Got any suggestions to keeping thieves out of your camp/truck/trailer while your out hunting? Anyone use trail-cams at there truck/camp?

I am a little worried about leaving my rifle in the truck/trailer while bow hunting before the rifle opener.
I feel much more secure at a trailhead than I do staying in a hotel on the way to the destination. Generally speaking, and that is a big generally, most people on the mountain are respectful. However, I don't feel that way in a hotel at all.

I worry about it so bad that I refuse to let my hunting partner drive even though his truck is much more capable at pulling the trailer behind (2500 vs 1500) because I have a topper and he doesn't. The topper isn't going to stop a straight-up thief but it will keep honest people honest. At least it gives me a little more peace of mind.

However, as the political climate continues to heat up in this country, coupled with the hate of non-residents, I could certainly see things getting worse.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I feel much more secure at a trailhead than I do staying in a hotel on the way to the destination. Generally speaking, and that is a big generally, most people on the mountain are respectful. However, I don't feel that way in a hotel at all.

I worry about it so bad that I refuse to let my hunting partner drive even though his truck is much more capable at pulling the trailer behind (2500 vs 1500) because I have a topper and he doesn't. The topper isn't going to stop a straight-up thief but it will keep honest people honest. At least it gives me a little more peace of mind.

However, as the political climate continues to heat up in this country, coupled with the hate of non-residents, I could certainly see things getting worse.
If I have to stop at a hotel/motel ALL my gear gets unpacked into the room.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
If I have to stop at a hotel/motel ALL my gear gets unpacked into the room.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is no big deal on a backpack hunt, just throw on your pack, weapon case in one hand and a small bag in the other hand. However, kitchen sink style hunting makes this super cumbersome and logistically consumptive unless you can park directly in front of your hotel room door.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Trail cameras around the truck are a good idea, 2-3 are better than one. Just so the cops have something to go off of. Chances are you can get a vehicle plate in one of the cameras.

Does anyone ever stash a rifle in the woods? Thought about doing this when I scout before the season but have my rifle with me to test long range shots on BLM or FS. A friend told me to just hike the rifle a few hundred yards from the truck and stash in the bushes. Seems sketchy though!

First off, get a camper shell if you don't already have one. I built a set of drawers to sit in the back of my truck. I can keep stuff hidden in the drawers so that it is not visible from looking in the camper shell. Even if someone broke the camper window, they would have a hell of a time getting into the drawers from above.

The camper shell window locks, of course. And I also have a lock on my tailgate as well. The other thing I like to do is -- assuming it's legal to park in this manner on NF -- is back your truck up to a large tree so that that the tailgate/drawers cannot be accessed without moving the truck. I've considered running a hidden trailcam nearby to deter any tampering.