Protect your gear from being stolen?

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
As many of us head out with all our expensive gear...what do you do to prevent theft? Got any suggestions to keeping thieves out of your camp/truck/trailer while your out hunting? Anyone use trail-cams at there truck/camp?

I am a little worried about leaving my rifle in the truck/trailer while bow hunting before the rifle opener.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
I would not leave a firearm in the vehicle. That said I just left my camper in nat forest while I run home for a few days. There were no guns left in it either. Yeah I have a trail cam watching it, but really it’s all a game of chance. Too bad we can’t cut off a thieves right hand, but insurance will lessen the sting.

Please don’t leave a gun in the truck. You can, and you should be able to. It‘s your “home” and it locked. Tweakers love that attitude, and will be happy to sell your expensive hardware for pennies on the dollar. And there is a fair chance your gun will be used for some pretty nefarious shit.

i would stash mine in the timber before I would leave it in the truck.

When it comes to my limited expensive gear and especially firearms I keep it under my exclusive control. If I leave it in the vehicle I understand that I might lose it and okay with replacing the item stolen. But that's just my .02

Deadfall

WKR
If they want it, they gonna get it. Best not leave anything you don't mind loosing. That being said, I've personally never had a issue.

Rob5589

WKR
What can you do? Nothing really. Don't leave anything in sight if possible, do not leave guns unattended, lock up what you can. I have been known to stash stuff away from the truck. Just make sure you remember where 😁

Marble

WKR
I too have stashed stuff. Even a rifle while in the back country.

I try not to leave anything super expensive in my truck. It happens though. My yeti for one. Extra range finder.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
About 20 years ago my buddy and I stopped along a highway pull off, crawled down the bank to fish a river for 30 minutes or so and when we came back up we had a pickup bed full of nothing. Some jack wagon stole every last thing out of my pickup bed. Coolers, luggage, totes, waders, fishing poles, everything. Not a damn thing I could do about it either. I suppose it's a risk we take.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Black trash bags, I have yet to have someone in a trash bag stollen. Probably helps that I drive an old truck too. Don't look like you have anything worth taking.

Pelican cases chained or cabled to a solid part of the vehicle. Yes it can be cut, and it might inspire someone to think their is something worth stealing. However, most thieves are taking targets of opportunity and a little difficulty goes a long way for deterrence.

manitou1

WKR
Somebody needs to invent a gun vault for trucks. Like a mini safe that locks to under the seat mechanisms. They make them for handguns. Mine stays in my cab, locked under the seat in case I am in a venue where I cannot carry.

manitou1

WKR
Those are nice if you don't mind giving up a good portion of usable truck bed. I was thinking a steel or aluminum gun case/locker that can be secured to seat bolt downs. They are going to get what they want, but if it takes a lot of effort and time it may discourage them.
Another solution: Prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. Nobody takes time to solve these. Tampering with a motor vehicle is a felony in some states. Make it a federal law... minimum 5-10 years with no parole for mucking with someone's vehicle.
Build more prisons, enforce laws to the fullest. Exercise the death penalty for capitol crimes. Things would settle down. When there is little enforcement and even fewer prosecutions with menial if, any sentences, there is little fear of repercussion. We encourage crime in society now.

Last edited:
As many of us head out with all our expensive gear...what do you do to prevent theft? Got any suggestions to keeping thieves out of your camp/truck/trailer while your out hunting? Anyone use trail-cams at there truck/camp?

I am a little worried about leaving my rifle in the truck/trailer while bow hunting before the rifle opener.

You could put a few “don’t tread on me” stickers on your rig. It’ll let the tweakers and thieves know you mean business. Lol

I used to leave a pistol in my truck all the time. Where I live, I figured there’s no way my rig would get broken into. Then one night it did, and my pistol and other items were stolen. However, the cops busted some Mexican drug runners in a sting near the border of Mexico and recovered my pistol. How it got down to the other border who knows. So, I’m getting my pistol back after 2 years it being missing.

I no longer leave firearms in my rig in town. I do leave one in my truck out hunting every once in while. I’d rather leave it in my rig while out hunting than anywhere in the woods near a trailhead or parking area. If you can comfortably walk from your truck to where you stash that gun in the woods, Ms Jones and her dog plus 3 kids can stumble onto it.

Just my opinion!

i drove past a piece of property the other day and a new sign clearly stated "caution,leg hold traps set"
i took a picture of that and showed it to a warden pal,curious as to it's legality.
he told me that is the way to do it if you set leg traps.you have to post.
my skunkhound and i were roaming the national park one day and found ourselves mired in an area of wire snares, the dog getting caught as well as myself,good thing i had a leatherman tool. we both wised up and found a dozen more.i looked at a pool of water in the marsh with an unnatural mound of mud in the middle, took a stick ,smacked it ,snap,leg hold trap. would have broken skunkhound's leg .
point is, there were NO signs and here is the best part,they were set with the authority of the federal government to kill foxes to protect an an endangered species.
so maybe posting a leg hold trap sign may be legal in your area.
too bad we have to worry about this while trying to do what we do.

Mt Al

WKR
You can't totally stop it, but minimizing it to me is:
-Don't bring anything extra/high value you have to leave in your vehicle. For me personally, then I think about it too much.
-Bring stuff into the field and stash it way off the trail if I do need to bring extras.
-I try to have everything I need on my person or in my pack when I leave home.

My vehicles have no window tinting, are kind of old and don't have advertisements all over them that state "Please look in this vehicle for these brands of highly expensive gear you can easily sell for pennies on the dollar"

I do think trail cams are a good idea, but to step it up a notch you'd need to have signs inside, visible through the windows that state "under surveillance by multiple trail cameras" - plus a trail cam that picks up every vehicle coming up the road to help LE out if the worst happens.

hunterjmj

WKR
i drove past a piece of property the other day and a new sign clearly stated "caution,leg hold traps set"
i took a picture of that and showed it to a warden pal,curious as to it's legality.
he told me that is the way to do it if you set leg traps.you have to post.
my skunkhound and i were roaming the national park one day and found ourselves mired in an area of wire snares, the dog getting caught as well as myself,good thing i had a leatherman tool. we both wised up and found a dozen more.i looked at a pool of water in the marsh with an unnatural mound of mud in the middle, took a stick ,smacked it ,snap,leg hold trap. would have broken skunkhound's leg .
point is, there were NO signs and here is the best part,they were set with the authority of the federal government to kill foxes to protect an an endangered species.
so maybe posting a leg hold trap sign may be legal in your area.
too bad we have to worry about this while trying to do what we do.
Foothold traps don't break bones. They hold the foot. I've trapped for so many years and never seen broken bones. Also, you don't need a leatherman to get out of a snare, you just open the loop with your hands. Lots of misinformation on trapping out there. Trappers are not your enemy, they are on the same team.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04