Protecting ignition during NW hunt

Hello,

I'm planning on my 1st muzzleloader hunt this fall in Idaho with the muzzleloader permit restrictions (open ignition, open sites, etc).

Does anyone have any tips on how to protect the open ignition from the enviorment during the hunt to avoid misfires?

Best regards,
Kyle

Randle

WKR
I have a dry and safe brass cap on the nipple with a leather lanyard. It has worked well for me over the years

First thing I would tell you is to use #11 Mag caps or RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ caps combined with a #11 nipple from

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

Water_Proof_MSM_Spitfire.jpg

You will also need a #11 capper to install the cap on the nipple. With the capper you need to press the nipple on to the nipple post to expand the convolutions around the sides of the cap.

Traditions__11_Capper.jpg

The down side.... you can not easy pop the cap off the nipple. You either have to shoot it off or peel it off with the edge of knife. Then save that cap for range work.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have a dry and safe brass cap on the nipple with a leather lanyard. It has worked well for me over the years
This.
I think its called a Kap kover????
comes with a nipple that has a rubber o ring.
cap fits over , sealing it off. Removes easily,
works well.

After reading a couple of responses - I really should have asked - What rifle are you using - an inline or a side hammer?

Although with the response I gave you it really wouldn't matter.

If you decide to go with the capper let me know so I can provide you with some information about adjusting the holding spring.

OP
K
Thank you all! Great feedback. I'm shooting a Knight Ultra-lite mountaineer. I have a capper. I'm using winchester magnum bp musket caps. I'm trying to find RWS but I haven't had any luck. I have never heard of the kap kover or cow's knee for flintlock muzzleloaders. I'm leaning towards picking up a kap kover.

Thank you all! Great feedback. I'm shooting a Knight Ultra-lite mountaineer. I have a capper. I'm using winchester magnum bp musket caps. I'm trying to find RWS but I haven't had any luck.

I really would encourage you to try the #11 Mag style cap or the Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap versus any Musket Cap. The seal on the nipple is far better than any Musket cap I know of.

I have never heard of the kap kover or cow's knee for flintlock muzzleloaders. I'm leaning towards picking up a kap kover.

I am not sure you can find a Kap Cover for Musket caps - I have only seen them for #11's

A Cows Knee is for a side hammer rifle, Flint lock

Cow-s-Knee.jpg

This simple wrap works...

Wrap_the_Breech.jpg

Last edited:
OP
K
I'll test the #11 mag and dynamit noble 1075+ caps based on your feedback. You can't beat saran wrap for simplicity! Thanks again!

I really would encourage you to try the #11 Mag style cap or the Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap versus any Musket Cap. The seal on the nipple is far better than any Musket cap I know of.

I am not sure you can find a Kap Cover for Musket caps - I have only seen them for #11's

A Cows Knee is for a side hammer rifle, Flint lock

Cow-s-Knee.jpg

This simple wrap works...

Wrap_the_Breech.jpg
What ya got there on the bottom pic is a modern cows knee, a piece of well greased leather and a wang will do the job on that contraption and be a lot easier to remove.