Protecting taxidermy from bugs

Do you do anything to protect your mounts from bug infestations? I had a hide drying in my garage and noticed bugs in it. It got me paranoid about my mounts in the house. A quick Google search doesn't show a lot of available options anymore and the preferred product is no longer being made. I've read that some people dust in borax for a day then gently vacuum off. Any better methods?

I’d call a taxidermist and ask them what they suggest. I’d think they’d most likely know what’s best to help keep their work pristine. Not like many of them are short of work and need the job security. I’d bet they’d prefer you don’t have to bring it back and take time from other mounts they are doing to fix yours for problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I got a bird done and tax told me to put the bird in garbage bag and fumigate with bug spray if it ever showed signs of bugs.

I know you said the hide is drying - did you get all the meat of it? did you treat it with something?

You can always put some moth balls under and round it.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
I have all my mounts in one room, every 3 months I set off 3 bug bombs. I also yearly take down every mount and clean them. I will also spray some permetherine on a rag and give them a wipe. My taxidermist said best defense is a clean room and mount and watch for any signs of trouble.

I've wondered about this with a few deer hides I have laying around. I'd think permethrin would be a good start.