protective prescription eyewear during hunts

OP
O

orson

FNG
You are dead right. Poly lenses will provide the durability but you give up clarity. Most folks are unaware of this fact. Plastic lenses provide a higher abbvie value (greater clarity) but will sacrifice strength and durability. Trivex will give you the best of both worlds without sacrificing neither. Trivex lenses are stronger, lighter than poly and provide a profoundly greater clarity to your vision. Most companies will only offer lenses in poly because they are cheap and lines their pocket in profit margins. Some will offer trivex will charge you an arm and a leg for the premium lense.

Inspired by Jason Hairston of Kuiu, I think I have a better solution. No retail markup, direct to consumer product with just premium lense and coatings at half the price. Retail sucks. Stay tuned

I am curious as to what my fellow hunters who wear rx lenses are doing in the field. Are you just wearing your current rx frames in the field? What about the western hunters camping 10 days? Are you wearing contact lenses and packing in lense solutions? How are you solving this dilemma? I currently wear contacts in the field along with a pair of high contrast shades for eye protection. I despise having to wear contacts especially during camp out hunts because of the necessity to remove at night and reinsert them the following morning. Anyone else share my bane?

Are you a possible candidate for extended wear contact lenses. I use the Aquavue 30 day day/night lenses. I leave them in for 30 days at a time. I use a few eye drops in the morning and am good to go. Maybe you could at least wear them during your hunt

Hoodie

WKR
This is interesting. I'm really liking those glasses with the headband as well. To my knowledge I never had eye problems, till recently. Recently looked through one of my red dot sights the other week, and was seeing a snowflake. Looked through my other two red dots, and same thing, a snowflake. So it turns out I have an eye astigmatism.

If you´re in your 30s, be mindful of any rapid changes in your glasses prescriptions.

Just after I got in the military my right eye went from 20/20 to 20/40 over the course of maybe 6 weeks. After a misdiagnosis I eventually figured out it was a degenerative cornea disease. Had just enough time left in to get a surgery that stopped it progressing in my left eye. I get by fine without glasses for pretty much everything now, but my right eye can´t be corrected better than 20/35, so I shoot with my non-dominant hand and non-dominant eye.

It´s not weird at all to have minor changes pop up at your age, and degenerative cornea issues usually pop up in a person´s early 20s. Just get it checked out if you notice a really sudden drop off or anything.

Irregular astigmatism sure makes red-dots and bow sight pins fun.

Last edited:

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I had Lasik eye surgery in the early 2000's and I started to notice that my distance vision needed some help about 4 years ago. I now have about a -1 diopter correction now.

Initially, I tried contacts to address the nearsighted correction, but my eyes get so dry from the Lasik surgery that I can't stand wearing contacts for long periods. So I have been using a set of Oakley frames with Transition lenses.

The Transition lenses work great for me while mountain biking, archery, and rifle hunting. My main gripe is trying to use my Vortex Razor HD binos. I have to look through my binos without my glasses to get a decent FOV.

I can’t wear contacts any more due to a carbon arrow exploding in my face and scar tissue. So just glasses for me. I recently found a website Sportrx. They sell all sort of heavy activity such as hunting,dirt biking, skiing etc.
I have Wiley x I hunt with that have been coated for no fog. So far so good.
I wear costas and titanium frames everyday to work and church etc.

OP
O

orson

FNG
I can’t wear contacts any more due to a carbon arrow exploding in my face and scar tissue. So just glasses for me. I recently found a website Sportrx. They sell all sort of heavy activity such as hunting,dirt biking, skiing etc.
The best frame design is one that allows for you to change lenses according to the application or to field conditions. For instance, is the day going to be cloudy, bright or foggy? Are you wearing the glasses to work or to the field? I constantly preach about the need for bowhunters to wear eye protection and am dismayed why so many don't. Much like rifle hunting, a bow is firing a projectile and accidents can and do happen. Why wouldn't you wear lenses to protect you from the environment and elements and give you an advantage in visibility?

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nice everyday set of Oakley frames with lenses that are not replaceable without some work to the frames, but with my sporting Oakley frames I can just pop the lenses in/out. The Transition lenses make it nice to have one set that I can wear for bright days or even during the night.

I may have to alter my everyday lenses to accommodate my aging eyes as I will need to get some progressive lenses this year.

The best frame design is one that allows for you to change lenses according to the application or to field conditions. For instance, is the day going to be cloudy, bright or foggy? Are you wearing the glasses to work or to the field? I constantly preach about the need for bowhunters to wear eye protection and am dismayed why so many don't. Much like rifle hunting, a bow is firing a projectile and accidents can and do happen. Why wouldn't you wear lenses to protect you from the environment and elements and give you an advantage in visibility?

I always wear glasses doing everything.
I was 13 when i had a arrow blow up. Its a long story but in short i was removing a insert with a lighter like id seen at the pro shop. Put it in a vise and started pulling the arrow which was broke already. It came out of the vise and right into the corner of my eye/nose. It hit my skull and shattered into 100 little fragments. Very very lucky to be able to see. Just you g kid making a mistake.
My Wiley X i can change lenses. It was pricey but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Add me to the list of people using daily contacts. They are awesome since there is no need for solution and they are light. I use sanitizer or wipes to clean my hands so I don’t get gunk growing in my eyes.

Reactions: DDR
OP
O

orson

FNG
Just know that all those expensive brands Wiley X, Ray ban, Oakely etc will be fine but for the price you are paying, the lense should not be crappy polycarbonate. Imagine looking through a bino or scope for years thinking it was good and then looking through a scope with superior glass and realizing that there was another level in optics. Trust me, polycarbonate lense are the absolute worst

OP
O

orson

FNG
I wear my regular hi index lenses eye glasses that I wear everyday. I also take my prescription ray ban dark glasses. I don’t over think this
what if you needed only one frame with the best optical clarity interchangeable lenses? Your hi index and rayban into one frame. You get the hi abbe value of hi index with the strength of the poly lense. Best of both worlds without neither of its disadvantages. Polycarbonate on the rayban will sufffice but you are stuck with that same tint which on a cloudy rainy day wouldn't work and obscure your vision even more than the polycarbonate. No fuss no complications . Simple

bat-cave

WKR
I had LASIK ~23 years ago and it has ben amazing. As predicted, I know need glasses. I finally gave up and went to hunting / shooting (Bow & Firearms) full time. I wear my daily frames most of the time, but also picked up a pair of prescription lenses from Revant for my Oakleys and they are awesome. Very affordable lenses and awesome for backcountry outings!

idig4au

WKR
what if you needed only one frame with the best optical clarity interchangeable lenses? Your hi index and rayban into one frame. You get the hi abbe value of hi index with the strength of the poly lense. Best of both worlds without neither of its disadvantages. Polycarbonate on the rayban will sufffice but you are stuck with that same tint which on a cloudy rainy day wouldn't work and obscure your vision even more than the polycarbonate. No fuss no complications . Simple
I have the highest end hi index lenses possible in both my daily eye glasses as well as in my ray bans. I have a small fortune invested in my eye glasses. Nothing simplier than changing glasses as conditions warrant.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
If you just need a bifocal these babies work great. Different bifocal levels avail. And about 8$ They read as good as my Rx glasses and Z87 rated80FF7F81-D124-4089-A901-F860344F4095.jpegCouple brands available.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who cant wear contacts and have the struggle of glasses out hunting. My brother when we go on our hunting trips has a decent set up for his contacts, and actually brought a second set up for my son this year which was great. I just struggle with the cold and fogging, sometimes ice on my glasses when we hunt late November. I have looked at a few of the wedsites mentioned on here and I am impressed. Thank you for the read and lots of things mentioned I will be trying.

bat-cave

WKR
As a follow-up, I just received an email from Revant and they have a 20% off sale this weekend. For me it was <$100 to get a pair of prescription lenses that I can pop in/out of my Oakley frames. Great for both Archery and slinging lead. Yes, they are polycarbonate but I have zero issues with distortion in the two pairs I own. Discount appears to be automatic at checkout. I don't have any skin in the game with Revant, just passing on the deal.

I’m nearsighted and haven’t been able to wear contacts for several years due to mild dry eye.

My go to outdoors glasses have been Switch Vision brand with interchangeable RX lenses for the last decade or so.

I specifically have the H-Wall swept version. I have clear, Amber, and dark tinted lenses I can switch out as needed.

They have been very comfortable for me. I wear them running, boating, driving, and as safety glasses for mowing, weedeating, shop work, etc.

They are very lightweight, so I can carry a second frame and different lenses. On my backpack hunts with no problems.

The only durability problem I have had is the magnets that hold the lenses to the frames have come loose a couple of times, and the silicone nosepiece will deteriorate if they are left in a hot car all summer.

My problem now in my late 40’s is I am losing my near vision when I’m wearing glasses, so I’m looking into bifocal options. I have tried the stick-on cheaters mentioned above but haven’t got those dialed in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk