Protein powder banana bread!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My daughters in town for Thanksgiving and we decided to take a dab at making protein powder banana bread:)

I used the normal recipe, but added a little egg, mild and 3 scoops of 30 gram protein powder.

It's in the oven now....I'll keep you posted!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well paint me green and call me Gumby...it worked!

I gotta figure out the calories/protein per slice, but this may be a new backpacking food for me!

hunting1

WKR
I have made homemade Protein bars several times. The kids ate them like candy, so I guess they pass that test. I like them and figure them a good energy source. Here is the recepee:

Peanut Butter and Chocolate chip
1) Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

2) Use 2-bowls for mixing:

1st bowl

* 2 cups of oats

* 1 cup of nuts or sunflower seeds

* ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips

* 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder

2nd bowl

* ½ cup of crunchy peanut butter (more is better to me!)

* 3-eggs

* ½ cup of honey

Mix the contents separate and then add themtogether. Let them soak up in the oats.

* Press into a baking pan or cup cake pans.

* Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Berry Bars

1st Bowl

* Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

* Use 2-bowls for mixing:

Bowl 1

* 2 cups of oats

* 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder

* 1-cup of dry fruit (I like berries)

Bowl 2

* 3-eggs

* ½ cup of honey

* Cap of vanilla

Repeat the same as above. They should be between 325-450calories. I have had no issues with them staying good for 2-weeks in zip locks.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kaley and I have a busy day of shopping, twilight and church, but we're going to give these a try tonight.

Seeing as I'm in the field over half the year, the $ add up quick for backpacking food. I started dehydrating my own food towards the middle of the year and hope things like this will fill the void for everything else.

Should save me a good amount of $ for 2013!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did the twilight thing last night, have fun.

Any guesses how much per meal you can save? Compared to the average 7 dollar mountain house?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bars taste great!

I used trail mix instead of sunflower seeds and chocolate chips, but they taste a hell oh a lot better than a cliff bar.....

tstowater

WKR
The bars taste great!

I used trail mix instead of sunflower seeds and chocolate chips, but they taste a hell oh a lot better than a cliff bar.....

Anyone have a clue on the nutritional values of those bars??? Curious about the fat, carbs, sugars and protein values. Looking to get away from the store bought ones if possible. These sound tasty. Thanks

shaun

WKR
Just went through and ran the numbers for Hunting1's Peanut Butter Bars. I was pretty impressed to say the least. You can finnagle them around as needed i am sure. Here is what I came up with.

1)Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

2)Use 2-bowls for mixing:

1st bowl

* 2 cups of oats 10g Fat, 112g Carbs, 16g Fiber, 20g Protein, 600 Cal

* 1 cup of nuts or sunflower seeds 76g Fat, 28g Carbs, 23g Protein, 830 Cal (Raw Unsalted Sunflower Seeds)
* ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips 4.5g Fat, 1g Protein, 70 Cal

* 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder 2g Fat, 18g Carbs, 48g Protein, 300 Cal (Gasparri Nutrition Myofusion)

2nd bowl

* ½ cup of crunchy peanut butter (more is better to me!) 60g Fat, 28g Carbs, 36g Protein, 800 Cal
(Kirkland Signature All Natural Peanut Butter)
* 3-eggs 15g Fat, 21g Protein, 240 Cal
(Omega 3 Eggs)
* ½ cup of honey 136g Carbs, 480 Cal

Mix the contents separate and then add them together. Let them soak up in the oats.

* Press into a baking pan or cup cake pans.

* Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Totals: 167.5g Fat, 322g Carbs, 149g Protein, 3,320 Calories
Per Bar totals at 10 Bars: 332 Calories, 14.9g Protein, 32.2g Carbs, 16.75g Fat
Cliff Bar
240 Calories, 10g Protein, 40g Carbs, 7g Fat

If you want to know prices per bar just divide price of item by serving used. Diddnt have time to really do that but I bet you it will be be close to a dollar cheaper per bar. Witch definatly adds up overtime.

shaun

WKR
Haha ya that sounds about right. I never really got into breaking down food like this until about a few years ago when I started to track my intake pretty strictly

Lawnboi

WKR
There's some great bar recipes over on the kifaru forums. I have been making bars for myself for a while now and the always turn out good. Best thing about making your own is that you can add whatever you want.

My favorite ones iv made have been made similar to the recipe above, with more oats instead of sunflower seeds, and more peanut butter. Dehydrator bananas and chocolate chips

tstowater

WKR
Thanks for running the numbers. I'm guessing you could modify the recipes if you want to alter the fat, carbs, protein contents. This sounds like a good value for a backcountry hunt if you don't have to worry about it going bad.