PRS/Hunting pack?

BLJ

WKR
The quest for the “perfect” pack continues
Started shooting PRS style rimfire matches in the spring. Really liking them and I was able to shoot some field style matches as well. Really prefer these. Now I’m looking for a pack to carry my stuff.
The matches could be compared to the NRL Hunter series. I’m needing a good way to carry 2 shooting bags, 2 tripods, binos, rangefinder, at least 3 liters of water (preferably in a bladder), snacks for the day, small maintenance kit, IFAK, Pelican 1040 for ammo, and a small “admin kit” (notebook, pen, sharpie, match book).
A couple objectives are organization, ability to attach at least one tripod securely, and comfort. I’m at a 22” torso and need something that fits. I have a n old Kerry external frame now that isn’t bad, just really bulky. Looking to streamline a little. Something in between the frame pack and a day pack. Absolute upper on budget is $300. Not $301. I would prefer to be closer to $200 if possible. Thanks for reading the novel.

prm

WKR
I have not tried for your application, but an Eberlestock X2 is a very handy pack. I currently use one for saddle hunting.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Agreed. I’ve looked at it an the Upranger as well. The big issue I run into with the smaller packs is the torso length. My 22” torso keeps a lot of the smaller packs from fitting properly.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I really love my Kifaru 22mag for PRS shoots and hunting. It's been ideal for me though may be outside your stated budget. For the bigger hunts, I just change the pack off the frame to a larger one. Adaptable for my needs. Started with an Eberlestock but quickly sold it as the design/layout just didn't work for me.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’m finding out that my budget is going to really limit my options. But that’s just where I’m at right now.
I’m going to get ideas here then keep an I out for a used one. Hopefully.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m finding out that my budget is going to really limit my options. But that’s just where I’m at right now.
I’m going to get ideas here then keep an I out for a used one. Hopefully.

With a $300 budget, a used Arctyrx Bora or the like will be a much better pack than any tactical or hunting bag.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I ran an eberlestock gunslinger 2 for years in PRS, last 2-3 years i have dwindled that down to a small red rock assault pack and have never felt the need to go back to larger pack. I think the longer u shoot marches the less u realize u need.

Dobermann

WKR
The quest for the “perfect” pack continues
Started shooting PRS style rimfire matches in the spring. Really liking them and I was able to shoot some field style matches as well. Really prefer these. Now I’m looking for a pack to carry my stuff.
The matches could be compared to the NRL Hunter series. I’m needing a good way to carry 2 shooting bags, 2 tripods, binos, rangefinder, at least 3 liters of water (preferably in a bladder), snacks for the day, small maintenance kit, IFAK, Pelican 1040 for ammo, and a small “admin kit” (notebook, pen, sharpie, match book).
A couple objectives are organization, ability to attach at least one tripod securely, and comfort. I’m at a 22” torso and need something that fits. I have a n old Kerry external frame now that isn’t bad, just really bulky. Looking to streamline a little. Something in between the frame pack and a day pack. Absolute upper on budget is $300. Not $301. I would prefer to be closer to $200 if possible. Thanks for reading the novel.
@BLJ:

Others will have different ideas, but a 35 L pack seems about right for being able to carry all you need for a day's field match, including food, water, raingear, a warm layer, tools, tripod, one front bag, one rear bag, ammo, spare mag - and to be able to still put any gear you might wear on you during the match (such as ear pro and binos) into the bag to keep it all together.

Some of the 'three steps and shoot' PRS guys will say you can carry far less, but for field shooting, you'll probably find that 35 L maxes out pretty quickly when you really cover all the basics.

This is where Kifaru's 22 Mag, mentioned above, shines. It's outside of your budget, but you can find deals on used ones here (although you still need the frame - but as others have said, you can then add a larger bag to this for hunting down the track, and this will end up being cheaper in the long run, yet still have quality gear). Even if that's still not possible, you could check out its features and try to find something close.

From your list, I'd suggest ditching one of the tripods - if you're running one tripod to shoot off, you can get an RRS Cinch adapter to quickly put binos on and off the tripod. I'm not sure there's many guys who'd run two tripods for field matches.

For a lighter option than the Pelican, look at the ammo carry options from places like Armageddon Gear, Cole-Tac, Bison Tactical, and so on ... you will probably find a better option.

Hope that's of some help!

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
I’ve looked at the 22 more than once. I agree with you that it would be about perfect. Maybe time to sell some more stuff.
The reason I take 2 tripods is that we usually RO our own squad. Shooting off of one and spotting with the other.

Can usually find used Mystery Ranch packs in the classified that look as if they were never used. I use my metcalf for hauling stuff around for shooting and it can be overkill depending on what I'm taking, but I never feel overloaded or like the pack is flimsy.

Look for a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 or 35. I really like my 25 which I bought “used” on here, looked brand new for about half what you have budgeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Eberlestock x2 as well for a PRS application adding a scabbard is what I have done with mine great little pack that carries well decent organization. Have carried out lots of first elk quarters with mine before switching to a bigger frame & still great shape after 10 years. Loaned mine out this season to grandson getting started will get it back in the spring.

shaun1826

FNG
I’m looking at the Kifaru 22 mag myself for the same application. I see alot of 5.11 rush 24’s and 72’s at matches.

shaun1826

FNG
I just ordered a Mystery Ranch Pintler for the same application as you. I spent a few hours researching before landing on it. I was originally thinking a Kifaru 22 mag or Mystery Ranch 3DAP, but think the trizip will just be easier getting stuff in and out of the bag all day. The 3DAP is used by many and the Pintler is very close to it but with frame and about 300 more Cu in. It can be had for $337 right now at Blackovis.

shaun1826

FNG
@BLJ:

Others will have different ideas, but a 35 L pack seems about right for being able to carry all you need for a day's field match, including food, water, raingear, a warm layer, tools, tripod, one front bag, one rear bag, ammo, spare mag - and to be able to still put any gear you might wear on you during the match (such as ear pro and binos) into the bag to keep it all together.

Some of the 'three steps and shoot' PRS guys will say you can carry far less, but for field shooting, you'll probably find that 35 L maxes out pretty quickly when you really cover all the basics.

This is where Kifaru's 22 Mag, mentioned above, shines. It's outside of your budget, but you can find deals on used ones here (although you still need the frame - but as others have said, you can then add a larger bag to this for hunting down the track, and this will end up being cheaper in the long run, yet still have quality gear). Even if that's still not possible, you could check out its features and try to find something close.

From your list, I'd suggest ditching one of the tripods - if you're running one tripod to shoot off, you can get an RRS Cinch adapter to quickly put binos on and off the tripod. I'm not sure there's many guys who'd run two tripods for field matches.

For a lighter option than the Pelican, look at the ammo carry options from places like Armageddon Gear, Cole-Tac, Bison Tactical, and so on ... you will probably find a better option.

Hope that's of some help!
I’ll second the RRS cinch. Super quick and works great. I couldn’t imagine packing 2 tripods for PRS.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Thanks to everyone. I’m really l the Pintler right now. Time to start saving the pennies.

ppt2211

FNG
Mystery ranch may have some good options for you. They are a bit pricey, but not too long ago Scheel had a 25% off event.

Had some bad experiences with Misery ranch bags. I would suggest a bag in the 3500cu range. Kifaru is probably the most solid bag out there if looking for durability.
Kuiu does really good deals on their bags throughout the year. They just dropped this bag, looks like it could fit the bill.
Venture Divide 3000