PSA-be careful with sharp knives

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I went back and searched through my Amazon purchases and found my order and edited my post. I have been using level 5.
So bizarre. I got to an earlier post above and decided to search *my* Amazon orders and found my cut gloves are ANSI 3, then I went down a rabbit hole (https://www.mcrsafety.com/blog/all-about-cut-resistant-glove-levels). I have floundered recently and cut myself just sitting in my house cleaning or putting oil or wax on my sharp knives, so I’m upgrading my gloves. What did you buy?

OP - I hope your recovery is quick!

Finch

WKR
not a very big deer at all, weren't seeing many bucks and only had one day left. super fun hunt tho so no regrets...... other than the cut finger
d32bff4c6bb1298fe4c41e5343d63735.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Very cool, congrats again!

fmyth

WKR
So bizarre. I got to an earlier post above and decided to search *my* Amazon orders and found my cut gloves are ANSI 3, then I went down a rabbit hole (https://www.mcrsafety.com/blog/all-about-cut-resistant-glove-levels). I have floundered recently and cut myself just sitting in my house cleaning or putting oil or wax on my sharp knives, so I’m upgrading my gloves. What did you buy?

OP - I hope your recovery is quick!
I've purchased and used both of the gloves below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 12.14.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 12.14.10 PM.png
    597.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 9.12.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 9.12.11 PM.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 45
I haven’t used cut resistant gloves in 30 years but I should. I have plenty of scars on my hands and fingers to prove my stupidity. Some of the best gloves out there are Hexarmour. Hope you heal quickly and well.

"smooth is fast.. fast is smooth"

It's always that damn left index finger. Mines scarred up. Have dodged major ones. Luckily.

Worst one I had was cutting a cow elk up in the winter. I didn't even feel it. I noticed an excessive amount of blood flowing out of the dead elk. It was my left index finger middle knuckle.
I put a Cabela's winter glove on it and went back to work.
It suctioned it shut. Then when I pulled the glove off at the truck it had basically became a glued bandage. LOL. I bled all over the truck we were in.

I didn't go to the hospital, but that scar is for life now. It basically skinned the skin off my knuckle.
Scalpels are sketchy.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've purchased and used both of the gloves below.
Thank you. I did a bit more digging and found this site and “glove selector” tool - https://www.superiorglove.com/en/glove-selector/. I am debating getting the Sure Knit S10SXB (fabric, inexpensive but A8 protection) vs looking for something with similar cut protection but with some warmth (still analyzing, but maybe the HexArmor as mentioned by @butcherboy).

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Lots of talk about getting cut with sharp knives and they are very dangerous but, remember dull knives have caused many bad injuries. When you have to apply more effort to get the job done accidents happen. I have tried the gloves what cleaning fish, tuna in particular, and they are a pain in the ass when they get slimy, I am for ever rinsing them in warm water. I just learned a long time ago slow down, be mindful and keep knifes sharp.

I've been wearing cut resistant gloves on all animals for a few years. They're like $10 at Home Depot. I'm not sure which cut resistance level I normally get. There are some that seem too thick as to impede dexterity and some that seem like a sharp knife would go right through. The improved grip is reason enough to wear them and in cold conditions your hands stay warmer. As far as I can tell, there is no reason not to add a pair to your kill kit.

I suppose the proper thing to do is buy three pairs or so and test them with a fresh blade...

Jethro

WKR
worst part is the rest of my hunting season is pretty much over. hard lesson learned, but it'll definitely make me slow down and think about what I'm doing while cutting up a deer next time

Sorry to see this. But I think you'll find you will be able to hunt if you have a season you were planning on. I cut that tendon in my thumb, but with a chain saw, so it was pretty torn up. Had the surgery but only missed 1 day of work. Now it was in summer so no hunting going on but I would have been able to gun hunt. Not archery though as it was my bow thumb. It was July till I could draw my bow. But as soon as stiches come out they are going to want you moving and rehabbing that finger. So you may find you'll be able to hunt. I'm not saying you'll be 100%, but you'd be surprised how much you'll do with the other 3 fingers and a thumb.

I guess you could be a lefty and then that poses more of a problem pulling the trigger.

Good luck

Seth

WKR
Hope you heal up fast... I always have a cut resistant glove in my kill kit for this reason.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you heal up fast... I always have a cut resistant glove in my kill kit for this reason.
definitely gonna be putting one in my pack from now on that's for sure.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of talk about getting cut with sharp knives and they are very dangerous but, remember dull knives have caused many bad injuries. When you have to apply more effort to get the job done accidents happen. I have tried the gloves what cleaning fish, tuna in particular, and they are a pain in the ass when they get slimy, I am for ever rinsing them in warm water. I just learned a long time ago slow down, be mindful and keep knifes sharp.
Very true on the dull blades. I find my problems with super sharp blades is that you don't have to do much in the way of an accidental move to have an issue. I was recently merely putting Renaissance Wax on the knife below and I just fumbled it a bit and had to grab my FAK. I think I'm going to need to wear these gloves even when I just think about knives. 476C968D-700F-43AB-B11A-BF324770A09E.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Very true on the dull blades. I find my problems with super sharp blades is that you don't have to do much in the way of an accidental move to have an issue. I was recently merely putting Renaissance Wax on the knife below and I just fumbled it a bit and had to grab my FAK. I think I'm going to need to wear these gloves even when I just think about knives. View attachment 335089
Beautiful knife. I like knifes a lot.

Rich M

WKR
I started wearing a cut proof glove on my left hand when I clean game or fish. Suddenly those little nicks went away.

sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it heals quick.