PSA Dont be these idiots...

People somehow routinely get lost in the Columbia Gorge near my house. How I cannot imagine. Doesn’t the name say it all? Just walk downhill till you hit the Columbia River or the huge highway next to it were you parked….

I usually consider myself pretty sensitive to other folks needs and issues, and I’m not trying to run down any SAR or sheriff office folks, but I can’t help wonder if part of the problem is knowing that someone will try to come save you if you get into trouble?

jayhawk

WKR
A friend of a friend is on SAR for this area. They got a call for a kid that went on what he called a “spirit walk” and climbed one of the mountain faces. Got turned around and couldn’t find his way back so he called 911 who dispatched SAR. When they got to him, you could see the valley below from where he was at. That valley houses 100,000 people. The dude got lost but could see the ******* city and all he had to do was walk down.
Had a similar story a few years ago in CO where this grown woman hiked up a ridge and got turned around so we sent up some volunteers to go locate. They found her a couple hundred yards away and completely panicked. All she had to do was walk down the hill toward the road that she could already see. She was from NY City.

jmez

WKR
People somehow routinely get lost in the Columbia Gorge near my house. How I cannot imagine. Doesn’t the name say it all? Just walk downhill till you hit the Columbia River or the huge highway next to it were you parked….

I usually consider myself pretty sensitive to other folks needs and issues, and I’m not trying to run down any SAR or sheriff office folks, but I can’t help wonder if part of the problem is knowing that someone will try to come save you if you get into trouble?
Not just the Columbia Gorge. The way off of any mountain is downhill. Walk downhill, follow the water out at the bottom.

People get lost in the Black Hills every year. Pick a direction, any direction, walk straight, you will be out in an hour.

OP
S
Texas was really stupid when they gave up that mountain range.

With that said this isn’t a State product this is just a state of living in a delusional world filled with zero repercussions and last place trophies
The problem is people go to places like Disney Land then come to Colorado and think they can bring the same mindset that things will somehow be catered to them.

OP
S
On a lighter note. Back in Boy Scouts we were on a summer backpacking trip and a kid somehow forgot his sleeping bag. Anyway he ended up putting on a few jackets and put his legs in his pack. Then he got clever and waited for someone else to take a piss in the night and would sneak over and get into their bag. We had to all give him a good beating to get him out and back into his pack lol.

Years ago I took adult children to the mountains of Colorado in late June. Everyone had back packs I had assembled together with essentials. I was ridiculed by these "adult" children and made fun of for giving everyone a back pack and essentials that, and I quote, "they would never need". Four hours later, even though the "Google" weather report said clear skies, a storm blew over the mountain. Looked like it was going to pass but nope it turned and came head on. I warned them told them we had to get down off that mountain. They screwed around ignoring my warnings, with the wife screaming at them, as the rest of us started down below the tree line. Along came high winds, sky to ground lightning, pelting rain and hail mixed with sleet. I had told them they had to get down off that mountain. Temp dropped down to about 38 degrees with 30-40 mph winds. The two adults, (males), in their infinite wisdom, also decided to remove the rain gear and the gloves from their respective packs. With hairs on their arms rising from the static electricity, soaking wet, cold and miserable they hauled butt down looking like scared rabbits. They suddenly realized the "Old Man" was not quite so stupid. Amazing the wonderment and appreciation for a simple Husky 42 gallon Contractor trash bag. Needless to say that now, the backpacks are fully stocked. Mother Nature and the Mountains are non-forgiving and there is no place for stupid. I also have a great memory of the day and a great " I told you so!"

OP
S
Years ago I took adult children to the mountains of Colorado in late June. Everyone had back packs I had assembled together with essentials. I was ridiculed by these "adult" children and made fun of for giving everyone a back pack and essentials that, and I quote, "they would never need". Four hours later, even though the "Google" weather report said clear skies, a storm blew over the mountain. Looked like it was going to pass but nope it turned and came head on. I warned them told them we had to get down off that mountain. They screwed around ignoring my warnings, with the wife screaming at them, as the rest of us started down below the tree line. Along came high winds, sky to ground lightning, pelting rain and hail mixed with sleet. I had told them they had to get down off that mountain. Temp dropped down to about 38 degrees with 30-40 mph winds. The two adults, (males), in their infinite wisdom, also decided to remove the rain gear and the gloves from their respective packs. With hairs on their arms rising from the static electricity, soaking wet, cold and miserable they hauled butt down looking like scared rabbits. They suddenly realized the "Old Man" was not quite so stupid. Amazing the wonderment and appreciation for a simple Husky 42 gallon Contractor trash bag. Needless to say that now, the backpacks are fully stocked. Mother Nature and the Mountains are non-forgiving and there is no place for stupid. I also have a great memory of the day and a great " I told you so!"

That is the first thing I tell people coming to CO. Ignore the weather forecast, storms will hit or they wont any day and you need to be ready for them. Also, it can be sunny in one spot and quarter size hail a half mile away.

I had a similar thing happen at Mt Hermann last year on my birthday. My Wife and I did the Mt Hermann scramble trail which is 1,600 vertical feet climb in 1.5 miles. It was one of those trails you pull yourself up the whole way and 3 point scoot on your ass on the way down. Anyway we get to the top and I see some nasty clouds start to roll in fast. I told my wife we need to get down ASAP and we threw our lunch in our packs and got down below the tree line as fast as we could.

A few min later we see an older couple wearing jeans and t shirts with no pack and only a plastic water bottle at the saddle of the ridge. I first had to tell them the right trail because they had no map and I told them they need to get down NOW as the weather was coming in fast and the trail was hazardous dry much less deadly wet. The man informed me he saw the weather radar showing the storm was blowing East and they were fine. I told them again we just got pushed off the Summit and they need to listen but they refused.

Well, 20 min later the heavens opened up in a torrential downpour just as my wife and I got to the flat part of the trail. 20 min after that right after we got to the truck marble sized hail came pelting down. The temps plummeted as usual as the afternoon went on. I am not sure what happened to them but I checked the news the next couple days just to see.

bozeman

WKR
My wife snickers as each pack we carry ALWAYS has:
Small first aid kit
Whistle
Emergency fire start kit
Compass
Headlamp
Emergency blanket
Buff/bandana
Cordage
Multiple water purifiers
Knife

She always laughs even if it’s a one mile trip……but……too many stories like you read above and I want my kids to always be prepared. Literally takes almost no room in a pack.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm thankful that no one was injured or worse. I think as a hunter and avid outdoorsman, I take for granted what seems like common sense and logic to me, that there are so many people recreating on our public lands that have no understanding of how to do it safely. It is what it is, and thankfully no one was hurt.
However, I will say, even as an experienced outdoorsman, shit can happen that turns an everyday event into a life and death struggle. Just last year, I was rabbit hunting up in northwest Colorado, it was getting close to dark and I was walking back to my truck. I didn't have anything with me other than my 22, my knife in my pocket. I had parked my truck and was just hitting some sage flats for bunnies, sort of "run and gun" style, covering lots of ground. I was within sight of my truck, when suddenly my foot dropped into a jackrabbit hole. My foot went into it heel first, with my toes pointing upward. The ground was frozen solid and the way my foot was wedged in the hole, the more I struggled, the tighter it became.
Long story short, it took me 10 or 15 minutes to finally work my foot free. But in that time, I realized that I could have potentially froze to death within sight of my truck, because I had just hopped out to check a spot for rabbits and didn't even have my phone with me.

OP
S
I'm thankful that no one was injured or worse. I think as a hunter and avid outdoorsman, I take for granted what seems like common sense and logic to me, that there are so many people recreating on our public lands that have no understanding of how to do it safely. It is what it is, and thankfully no one was hurt.
However, I will say, even as an experienced outdoorsman, shit can happen that turns an everyday event into a life and death struggle. Just last year, I was rabbit hunting up in northwest Colorado, it was getting close to dark and I was walking back to my truck. I didn't have anything with me other than my 22, my knife in my pocket. I had parked my truck and was just hitting some sage flats for bunnies, sort of "run and gun" style, covering lots of ground. I was within sight of my truck, when suddenly my foot dropped into a jackrabbit hole. My foot went into it heel first, with my toes pointing upward. The ground was frozen solid and the way my foot was wedged in the hole, the more I struggled, the tighter it became.
Long story short, it took me 10 or 15 minutes to finally work my foot free. But in that time, I realized that I could have potentially froze to death within sight of my truck, because I had just hopped out to check a spot for rabbits and didn't even have my phone with me.

Its crazy how even the smallest set of events can lead to disaster. I used to work for a lady who had a husband that like to take a piss outside when he was drinking. It was a freezing Chicago night and he was up late by himself and got pretty drunk. He went out back to take a piss and fell on the ice and knocked himself out. They found his body the next day about 10 ft from his back door.

This was funny..
As well as everyone's stories I also liked the line from the OP link, "it's sunny in Texas!"
Amazing.

I chose not to take my phone/tech when out in nature, but I also take what I need. The rest is on me.

We just need to figure out a way for them to rescue me from the truck and get me 4 miles up the mountain, then I can handle the rest from there.
I was gonna say the same thing.... Since they probably won't go for this, maybe I'll save pushing the SOS button until I stick a bull in the bottom of a canyon. "Sir, is this an emergency? yes, I'm too fat, I need a chopper. No rush"

OP
S
I was gonna say the same thing.... Since they probably won't go for this, maybe I'll save pushing the SOS button until I stick a bull in the bottom of a canyon. "Sir, is this an emergency? yes, I'm too fat, I need a chopper. No rush"

"Yeah, no injuries I am all good... I actually was wondering if you could airlift this elk out of here? You boys like jerky right???"