PSA: Don't forget your hearing protection this fall!

From your Mayo Clinic cochlear implant audiologist, I want to remind all my fellow hunters out there to protect your hearing this fall. I see patients all the time who come in with significant hearing loss from shooting "just a few times when I'm hunting." Some require cochlear implants because they're hearing is so severely damaged. Don't let that be you. Your ears are just as sensitive in the field as they are on the range, even if you don't notice because of the adrenaline.

Below is a good article reminding us about this topic. How do you protect your hearing in the field and on the range?

https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...tions-for-hearing-enhancement-and-protection/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
I never shoot a gun, hunting or at the range without ear plugs. When hunting I either have Walker Game Ears in place, or manual ones ready to be placed in, so far it hasn’t cost me a shot and if it does, oh well. My hearing is more important than a dead elk.

I have so many friends who are in their 30s and already have trashed their hearing completely from shooting. I am really lucky my dad was a nut about hearing protection

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have tinnitus really bad in my left ear and my ears are really sensitive to anything remotely loud. Really sucks. I can still hear well but the constant ringing gets old. All from shooting a full mag from an AR with no hearing protection.

OP
westonadkins
I never shoot a gun, hunting or at the range without ear plugs. When hunting I either have Walker Game Ears in place, or manual ones ready to be placed in, so far it hasn’t cost me a shot and if it does, oh well. My hearing is more important than a dead elk.

Totally agree. I do the same bird hunting. That has cost me a few birds but it's an easy price to pay to save hearing.

OP
westonadkins
I have so many friends who are in their 30s and already have trashed their hearing completely from shooting. I am really lucky my dad was a nut about hearing protection

Eyes and ears!

OP
westonadkins
I have tinnitus really bad in my left ear and my ears are really sensitive to anything remotely loud. Really sucks. I can still hear well but the constant ringing gets old. All from shooting a full mag from an AR with no hearing protection.

I'm sorry to hear you experience that. A lesser known side effect of hearing damage due to noise is sensitivity to loud sounds. If your tinnitus is bothersome (interferes with sleep, concentration, communication), you could try keeping some ambient sound going to keep that ear busy. Some people use the TV, radio, or a desk top sound machine that produces white noise or other soothing sounds like rainfall, etc.

www.ata.org has some good info on tinnitus and hyperacusis.

muddydogs

WKR
I wear hearing protection during any shooting activity except big game hunting, I know I should when big game hunting but I'm not going to deal with protection for days on end for a shot or three if by chance I even get to pull the trigger. Guess I'm willing to take the risk for a couple rounds.

brsnow

WKR
I think if the typical hunter had their hearing checked they would be shocked. It is gradually so you don’t realize. I double up at range and wear electronic muffs while chasing elk. I wish there were better electric options, seem to only get 22-25 but much better than nothing.

njdoxie

WKR
I never shoot a gun, hunting or at the range without ear plugs. When hunting I either have Walker Game Ears in place, or manual ones ready to be placed in, so far it hasn’t cost me a shot and if it does, oh well. My hearing is more important than a dead elk. My hearing is perfect and I want it to stay that way.

11boo

WKR
5 years of infantry service=Reeeeee

I hunt with gun and bow, really prefer bow but back up my chances with a rifle cow tag usually.

I Always wear amplifier muffs in the field during rifle seasons,
Plugs AND muffs at the range.

Protect your hearing people, I wish I had a better knowledge of this back in the day.

Great advice from the OP.

OP
westonadkins
I wear hearing protection during any shooting activity except big game hunting, I know I should when big game hunting but I'm not going to deal with protection for days on end for a shot or three if by chance I even get to pull the trigger. Guess I'm willing to take the risk for a couple rounds.

I understand the inconvenience. One thing you might try is having one of those stemmed earplugs (look like little Christmas trees) available to put in your opposite ear before your shot.

For example, if you are right handed, your left ear is more susceptible to damage as its pointed towards the muzzle. It would only take a second to jam an ear plug in your opposite ear, and you could still have some sound awareness with your other ear. Better than nothing.

OP
westonadkins
I think if the typical hunter had their hearing checked they would be shocked. It is gradually so you don’t realize. I double up at range and wear electronic muffs while chasing elk. I wish there were better electric options, seem to only get 22-25 but much better than nothing.

MUCH better than nothing

sneaky

"DADDY"
12 years in Marine artillery says you are a little late with that recommendation. My hearing was destroyed a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
westonadkins
12 years in Marine artillery says you are a little late with that recommendation. My hearing was destroyed a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you've got hearing left, you've got hearing to protect