PSA: Horox Outfitters

ColoradoV

WKR
And folks wonder why health care costs are spiraling out of control......

Well elitist 21k a pop elk hunts and justification for them is obviously not a reason..........

ColoradoV

WKR
Don’t worry I am not wondering 👍..

The price is set that way so guys can afford 21k elk hunts.....

Thank you for you honest and open review. It is sad that your experience was poor and your expectations were not met. I would never judge anyone for what they spend their money on or how they spend it. I can only judge my own experiences and count them as blessings. Your review has helped me realize that due diligence on the part hunter must be done when researching guides/outfitters. Always ask for reviews, contacts, client lists and info etc... when planning a hunt with an outfitter.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this outfitter.

As an aside, a high-end (no fence) elk hunt on a certain reservation is going to cost about 2X this hunt.

It is what it is.

Titan

WKR
Yeah, I really think it would have had a better response without the price tag. I would like to say that the price is actually irrelevant, but I think it actually makes the mis-representation even worse.

Who cares how he spends his money. I have a couple friend who are in medical school/fellowship. After seeing what they go through for 10 years, I'm still not sure the salary is enough. I appreciate what you do Babayaga.

People spend the same % of their income on a lot dumber stuff and no one bats an eye

jspradley

WKR
325 vs 350

Two feet, one inch ....maybe three days of rain.

On a side note, just another example of Utah being the antithesis of the North American model of conservation

Well Utah was founded on being the antithesis of everything American but that's a whole 'nother story... lol

Sucks that the OP got taken to the cleaners like that... but damn thats a lot of cash for an animal.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
We have contacted Epic and they were shocked to hear the feedback. They said he was off their list.

Until he throws them some cash to get back on the list. I have 1 guided elk hunt lined up and it will likely be my last. I really enjoy the DIY. I’ll never criticize anyone for what they spend on what they like.

SDHNTR

WKR
If it’s any validation to the OP... and to also warn others... I too took my father on a hunt with this outfitter some years ago. A cheap cow hunt too! We were promised lots of opportunity and a physically easy hunt as my father was still recovering from a major surgery. Long story short... The place was shot out and what few elk we saw were super spooked and pressured. You go on a cow hunt expecting high success and out of three in our party I was the only one who had a reasonable chance at a cow. And that was because I was the only one capable of literally running up the side of a mountain to get within shooting distance before dark. The only other “opportunity” we had was a truck race after a spooked herd and the guide wanting my dad to take a 350yd+ shot at running elk. I was also told prior to the hunt that I could bow hunt and there would be pre set stands over water holes I could use. That was not the case. There was a stand or two in place (not several like I was told) but once I got there the bull hunters were using those stands and rifle hunting them because they were elderly and not in good shape. I didn’t want to be a jerk and argue with an old man for the stand. The Horrocks were nice enough people on the phone, but what we got was not what we were told to expect. They ultimately acknowledged that they should not have booked cow hunters together with bull hunters and apologized as we obviously took a back seat. Furthermore, there were some weird restrictions about booze. I respect all religious beliefs but we were told that if we wanted to have a drink after the hunt, we had to do so outside, and not in cabin. So My old man and I sat out in the cold to have a couple beers after the hunt. Food was just OK, accommodations were simple but sufficient and the guides were nice kids, but the whole hunt left a sour taste in our mouth. We were also recommended by the Carters (HF at the time) and informed them of our issues. It was all chalked up to bad luck.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Boy, hunting or no hunting there sure are some seriously jealous people out there. I don’t care if I’m spending $1 or $20k, I’m told by someone they are going to provide a certain level of service for my money I expect that level. He had an expectation set by what was supposed to be a very reputable group (Epic) and the outfitter. They over sold and under delivered. That is a recipe for failure, no matter the service.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wonder how different this thread would have gone if OP left the price out...

It probably would have gone the same way because NO ONE can EVER predict or promise what size of bulls you will see on a hunt unless they're running a high fence operation. And it doesn't matter what it costs.

The other thing here is what I posted in my "edit" above. We're talking about LO Tags AND a guided hunt all wrapped up in one package. Like I said, for that area the tag alone could have been $15k even without the guided option. So the actual outfitted hunt with 1 on 1 guiding would have been closer to $6k which is very much on par for most any elk operation in the West. So the pricing overall isn't out of the question or the ordinary for that area.

But again........NO ONE can guarantee the size of bulls you'll see on a true free range hunt. If they try to guarantee that.........RUN the other direction from that deal.

CorbLand

WKR
It probably would have gone the same way because NO ONE can EVER predict or promise what size of bulls you will see on a hunt unless they're running a high fence operation. And it doesn't matter what it costs.

The other thing here is what I posted in my "edit" above. We're talking about LO Tags AND a guided hunt all wrapped up in one package. Like I said, for that area the tag alone could have been $15k even without the guided option. So the actual outfitted hunt with 1 on 1 guiding would have been closer to $6k which is very much on par for most any elk operation in the West. So the pricing overall isn't out of the question or the ordinary for that area.

But again........NO ONE can guarantee the size of bulls you'll see on a true free range hunt. If they try to guarantee that.........RUN the other direction from that deal.

...and my post was not directed at anyone saying what you just said. It was directed at those that are bitching about his ability to pay what he did. You really should stop taking everything so personal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
...and my post was not directed at anyone saying what you just said. It was directed at those that are bitching about his ability to pay what he did. You really should stop taking everything so personal.

I didn't take it personal at all.

Just tried to summarize the course of the thread, and explain the pricing.

Wapiti1

WKR
It's a simple lesson in due diligence. The price is irrelevant. Folks get taken for much less in the guided/outfitted hunt world and they usually can't absorb the cost easily. For those folks it is a tragedy since they will do this once in a lifetime.

Do your research, ask questions, if something sounds perfect then don't trust just one source, talk with others that do guided hunts often and get their list of questions, call both successful and unsuccessful clients, etc.

It is good the thread was started. Someone may get referred to Horox on their once in a lifetime LE draw tag. This thread may prompt them to ask more questions. Horox may treat them well, maybe not, but I hope it gets them thinking.

Jeremy

Gumbo

WKR
If I were a rich man (which I'm not and almost certainly never will be) I'd sure as hell blow some money on trips for me and my family and friends, or buy a sweet piece of hunting ground for us. Bummer your hunt didn't live up to the expectations and the outfitter's claims. Hopefully your next hunt will be a better experience and you will find what you are after. Thanks for the warning.

EDIT: In the outfitter's defense there is a pretty solid number of bulls in the 320 class pictured on their website. Maybe it was just a bad year which is part of the game.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
I guided Josh on a difficult hunt several years ago. He was a pleasure to be around, hard hunter, and honest through all of our dealings. Not saying anything written here is untrue (I wasn't there), but wanted to mention my experience with the him for those doing research.

sneaky

"DADDY"
And folks wonder why health care costs are spiraling out of control......

Well elitist 21k a pop elk hunts and justification for them is obviously not a reason..........
Because he pays more for malpractice insurance in a year than your house is probably worth. Because people sue at the drop of a hat these days. I don't begrudge him one bit. You just sound bitter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you for info as I'm trying to do my due diligence w booking a hunt with him as well. I'm looking at a mule deer hunt and have some quest you or anyone they had experience. Message me or my cell is +19135587097. Thanks.