PSA: Hunting Elk With An Arrow Under 450 Grains Is Unethical

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to lean more towards the heavy over light side when it comes to arrow weight. 700 grains is still pretty crazy imo. In a perfect world where every shot was 20 yards, I’d give it a go. Too many variables though for me to feel comfortable at that weight. I’m all for planning for plan b hits, but with elk, if you hit near the front of the shoulder blade, I don’t think a 1000 grain arrow is getting through.

CJF

WKR
You don't get an "A" rating for Elk until 650 grains?

Mind blown. I'm ordering new shafts today.

Dennis

WKR
I think it important that all bowhunters read/review the Ashby studies which are about the arrows and not about the type of launch device. It seems to me that a 20 year study of arrow performance on game animals should at least be considered.

I only wish I had read the actual study earlier.

OP
Mighty Mouse
If you didn’t know, arrow weight like bullet weight does affect penetration. However, it seems that site is about longbows/recurve bows.

That probably means it affects almost nobody on this thread. There are a lot of reasons to use heavy arrows with longbows/recurve bows.

The chart without the context means nothing.
Ed Ashby's original studies were primarily conducted with longbows. The foundation that bears his name is attempting to continue his research and focus more on compound bows. The ABF claims that their newly released arrow weight chart is universally applicable regardless of bow type or draw weight.
Screenshot_20220602-082551_Facebook~2.jpgScreenshot_20220602-082629_Facebook.jpg

TripleJ

WKR
Although I use a heavier arrow now (465 grains), my buddies and I have killed a lot of elk with a 390/400'ish grain arrow. I guess I didn't know any better. It sure as heck wasn't unethical. I had pass throughs on multiple broadside elk, and on a frontal shot on a Roosevelt bull, the broadhead was 1 inch from poking out the back of the ham after going through the heart and other vitals. I understand the difference between KE and momentum and I know arrow weight is important, especially at slower speeds/lower poundage. I also know, however, the damage a 400ish grain arrow with a sharp broadhead and sufficient energy will do to an elk. You definitely don't need 600 or 700 grain arrows to kill elk.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Currently at 437 grains with a 25.5" shaft carbon to carbon....pretty stout for a 26" draw setup. 650 grains and my trajectory would look like a mortar shell...no thanks.

BBob

WKR
I'll proudly take the F rating. I like many killed elk with an even lighter setup years ago. I've moved to heavier but still get the F.

OP
Mighty Mouse
I think it important that all bowhunters read/review the Ashby studies which are about the arrows and not about the type of launch device. It seems to me that a 20 year study of arrow performance on game animals should at least be considered.

I only wish I had read the actual study earlier.
Ashby/ABF have put out some good pieces of information...but this ridiculous arrow weight chart is not one of them.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the 600+ grain for elk, but that is my own personal preferences. Whitetails I can be in the 450 rainge and be very happy. 3D I am in the high 200's and love it.