PSA…. I lost a buddy today

Broomd

WKR
Sad to read this, RIP.

Guys, almost as important as your PFD is the engine LANYARD CORD.
I've failed to wear mine much of this year and saw it lying there the other day. I'll wear it going forward.
An out-of-control moving boat can mean tragedy for you or others even with a vest on, especially for anyone in the water.

Lowg08

WKR
A friend of mine drown years ago because of no life vest or engine cord. He was flung out and the boat came around and ran over him. Knocking him out. He was 18. Just sad. No matter the situation.

CorbLand

WKR
It is scary how doing the things we enjoy can turn so quickly. Sorry to hear about this.

I use to ice fish a lot and went by myself quite a bit. Fell through the ice once and it was an eye opener on how fast things can turn. Be safe.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
That's tough, sorry to hear about it.

I had a hunting friend who died when we were in high school. They figure he hit his head when the canoe overturned. Possibly not hard enough to knock him out, but enough to disorient him so he couldn't survive without a lifejacket.

@Panhandler80 , sorry for your loss and sadness. It touches home as I lost a great hunting & fishing buddy and close friend in 2017 due to drowning while he was on a fly fishing trip in a western state. Think about him almost every day.

Q child

WKR
That sucks man. I'm sorry. That same thing has happened around here many times. Be safe out there.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never easy by any means. Sorry to hear and yes, take each day as it comes and hold to it with gratitude.
Take care.

Randy

Fatcamp

WKR
That's sucks.

I didn't get my first boat until my mid-30's, and my mom made me promise to always wear a life jacket when on the water. She is long gone but I honor that promise to this day. Should probably commit to my lanyard as well, this is a sad reminder that it matters too.

FLATHEAD

WKR
You never really get over losing someone close, you just learn to move on, but it changes you. Prayers sent.
I try to stress to my 18 y/o who fishes inshore around Orange Beach, AL. with a buddy to wear a life jacket and use the kill switch lanyard!!!! I'm not there, so I dont know.
I need to show him this post.

uglymud

FNG
Sorry for your loss sir.

I was nearly tossed out of my boat a few years ago heading up river in the dark. Running with full lights on but a log had floated down I didn't see. Picked me up out of the seat when I hit it. I was alone and it was cold that morning, I wear a life jacket and kill cord most days now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk