PSA- I screwed up!

Firehawk

WKR
So...in an effort to avoid total frustration and anguish, I am passing along a mistake I recently made with my awesome Maven B2 bino.

I had borrowed my friends nice 15x bino for a special LE deer hunt with my brother. So I used his Outdoorsman's bino adapter and stud in his bino and borrowed another friends outdoorsman's stud for my Maven. I removed my Field Optics Research stud and installed the outdoorsmans stud on my Maven. It worked awesome and I was looking at moving to that system for my own binos just yesterday.

Well I returned their stuff and put my Field Optics Research stud back in my Maven. Not thinking about what would happen, I tightened the stud too far without thinking as I was trying to get the slot to line up just perfectly. Didn't recognize any problem by doing so.

Fast forward to this morning and I pulled out my B2 to view the amazing Wasatch Range in all its fall splendor. The focus knob wouldn't budge at all. I tried pretty hard, but it only moved just a small range. Then it dawned on my that just a few days ago I had put that stud back in really tight. I loosened it up and tried again to move the focus knob. It moved a little better, but wasn't the buttery smooth it normally is. As I pushed a little too hard I felt a pop inside. Doh!!!! and all of a sudden I cannot focus the bino at all. Ugghhhh!!!

So...when you read that little warning in your owner's manual for both the stud and your binos, and it says to "Not overtighten" the adapter, this would be the reason why. PLEASE OBEY that rule and you won't be caused the grief and frustration that I feel today. Maven's warranty is awesome and they will fix it right up for me, but the General Season elk hunt started today in Utah and I have a tag that I intended to use this next week. I still will. I have a different bino that will work fine in a pinch, but I am used to the stellar view my Maven B2s provide.

I really hope that those of you who read this will find the humor in my folly, but also learn a lesson to make sure you use your tools the correct way. I screwed up so that you all don't have to. You are welcome. 😀

Also, I ordered the Outdoorsmans system today as I don't want to worry about having the "slot" line up properly again. The outdoorsman's stud is the perfect way to make sure this is done right. Ughh. Lesson learned.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
That sucks thanks for the heads up. Can the outdoorsmans stud cause the same thing to happen?
I suppose you could, but the only reason I went as tight as I did, was to get the "slot" for the tripod adapter lined up better. With the outdoorsmans stud, you screw it in, set the set screw and there are no "slots" that have to be lined up. So I can see where it shouldn't happen with the outdoorsmans. I can totally see how it happened with my other one as that slot needs to be in a position to allow the adapter to slide into it.

Already been in contact with Maven and sending them in today.

FH