PSA on having spare tire

I went out deer hunting this afternoon. I wasn’t even 3 miles onto the gravel road driving to an area I was going to hunt, and I blew out my tire.

I was worried and not completely sure I had a jack. Luckily I had everything I needed to keep on going but I really wasn’t prepared.

Would have sucked if I didn’t. I would have been hiking back to cell service to then have my wife drive up and find me to drop off a jack or would have been bothering my buddy at work.

Rob5589

WKR
Absolutely all the time. And make sure it's inflated and in usable condition. They can get beat up underneath the vehicle. One year I had towed my Jeep and the clutch fried so it was dead. So I used my 2wd Silverado and the first morning tore a sidewall on a downed tree. And never killed a deer. Not a great trip.

Good idea to check spare once in a while. Few years ago bottomed out my truck and tore hole in the spare. Didn't realize that till I needed it.

Reactions: 9.1
If we are towing the boat a long way, or any other trailer I go ahead and bring a set of leveling blocks (can be used to get a wheel off the ground if dual axle), a floor jack and a bottle jack, 2 spares, and an actual lug wrench (not one of the dinky ones that come with most cars)- not to mention bearing grease etc. When you are 1000 miles from home on the side of the freeway it’s nice to have the right tools.

It has saved many a trip.

I always carry a little air compressor with me to air up a neglected spare or limp a slow leaker back to society.

Knock on wood but as soon as I ditched the B/F Goodrich Rugged Trails my Tacoma came with I switched to Michelin LTX Defender and I haven't had a flat. That's two sets of tires, probably 130k combined. Now on the B/F Goodrich K02's and expect the same.

TSAMP

WKR
Lowering down that spare is a good maintenance task to perform from beneath your truck. I've seen more than one refuse to come out due to corrosion when needed.

Slightly off topic. For those with larger diameter tires, do you all upgrade your spare? I have 34s on my f150 and the factory spare is around a 32" I believe. Besides the fact a 34 won't fit down there I've just went ahead with the logic that I could limp along with the other tire up front if needed.

I have wondered if any abs sensors or somthing would flip out but it's a pretty small change in rotational speed. I never even needed to recal my speedo.

Rich M

WKR
I carry the following:

-Decent compressor that connect straight to the battery.
-Plug kit
-spare valve cores
-fix a flat can (for when you just need to get off the road).
-4 way lug wrench
-hydraulic Jack
I should probably get some valve cores - always carry everything else on this list. The ladies I work with borrow my air compressor. One just got new tires cause she was tired of borrowing the compressor.

Flat tire is a pain but if you are ready for it, you spend 10 minutes and are moving again. I have my lil old wife trained in changing a tire even though she can't turn the wrench - Stand on it and bounce... She said the worst part is trying to lift the flat tire into the trunk. Told her to just leave it there and we'll get it later.

When dragging a trailer, have spare tire for that and stuff to swap out bearings. Plus we use radial trailer tires.

Slightly off topic. For those with larger diameter tires, do you all upgrade your spare? I have 34s on my f150 and the factory spare is around a 32" I believe. Besides the fact a 34 won't fit down there I've just went ahead with the logic that I could limp along with the other tire up front if needed.

I have wondered if any abs sensors or somthing would flip out but it's a pretty small change in rotational speed. I never even needed to recal my speedo.

You sure it won't fit? I went from 30.6" diameter factory to 32.5" and was able to squeeze mine in there (Tacoma). It's pretty close to the exhaust so I zip tied a silicone heat shield on the tire just to be safe.

I agree with your logic though, you should be able to limp to town assuming your axles aren't locked all the time.

You may not be able to use 4wd depending on your set up...Turn off any traction control features for sure...you may also have to rotate ur tires so you have 2 of the same size on the rear if you want to use rear locler and 2wd...really depends of the type of 4wd system your vechile has. Smarter system isn't always better.

WKR
Thanks for the reminder. I haven't checked mine in a while. I love this general discussion section.

hunterjmj

WKR
Ask your local tire store for a used tire of the same size as what you're running. Got 2 for $10 bucks and found a wheel on Craigslist for $40. You'll have have 2 spares the same size. Good insurance for those long hunting trips.

Reactions: WCB
Lowering down that spare is a good maintenance task to perform from beneath your truck. I've seen more than one refuse to come out due to corrosion when needed.

Slightly off topic. For those with larger diameter tires, do you all upgrade your spare?
Great point on the lowering, I had a hell of a fight with my OEM spare a couple years back...

When I upgrade (upsize) wheels and tires from OEM I also buy a matching spare set. Guys on the off-roading forums I frequent say you should mostly so if you're stuck in a sh*thole you aren't risking damage to your suspension components.

I have no idea if that is even a valid concern to begin with, let alone a valid concern for non-built rigs, but I always be safe and just get a matching spare setup, full-size. Especially on lifted+aftermarket suspension rigs.

WCB

WKR
When I hunt remote out of state hunts especially, I have my original spare but also a extra spare from my previous set of tires or a used tire as hunterjmj mentioned. just throw it in the back of the truck. Had flats in the middle of nowhere with no plan on being in or around a town for another day or two. Throw the spare on and still have another just incase. Seems like it always happens late Sat or Sun anyways when small town shops are closed. It is also nice to have to go under your truck to nock your spare loose in the mud, snow, ice etc.

Also, I always have a piece of board to set the jack on...hate having it sink in the mud or snow.

Poser

WKR
When I hunt remote out of state hunts especially, I have my original spare but also a extra spare from my previous set of tires or a used tire as hunterjmj mentioned. just throw it in the back of the truck. Had flats in the middle of nowhere with no plan on being in or around a town for another day or two. Throw the spare on and still have another just incase. Seems like it always happens late Sat or Sun anyways when small town shops are closed. It is also nice to have to go under your truck to nock your spare loose in the mud, snow, ice etc.

Also, I always have a piece of board to set the jack on...hate having it sink in the mud or snow.

A traction board works well for having Jack support. I’ve used traction boards more times than any other piece of recovery gear, both for myself and helping random people get unstuck.

Shovel.

And while we are on that subject:

-Snatch strap (not a tow strap)
-Soft shackles
-Bridle for connecting a single snatch strap to 2 recovery points.

-a battery jumper setup.

Also: a saw.
I’ve had trees across FS roads on more than one occasion.

h2so4

WKR
Another vote for 2 spares.
I usually have a board or two as well to give me a solid place for the jack and to reduce the amount of lift required from the jack.