PSA on having spare tire

Got a flat one night about 13 miles in and no spare. Peeled the tire off the wheel with a stick and a screwdriver and drove out slowly. ROUGH ride and ruined wheel, but didnt have to walk......

I will be the first to chime in that I don’t carry a spare. Good 10 ply tires and all the gear to fix a leak. Have been doing it this way for over 10 years now. No issues.

Trailer different story. Always have spare for that.

I always carry a spare. When wife looks at cars that’s the first thing I look for. At least a donut.

Man, does everyone else not deal with a flat about once a week??

Of course, I carry a gas compressor on my truck, but also have 18v impacts in about all vehicles.

I always carry a little air compressor with me to air up a neglected spare or limp a slow leaker back to society.

Knock on wood but as soon as I ditched the B/F Goodrich Rugged Trails my Tacoma came with I switched to Michelin LTX Defender and I haven't had a flat. That's two sets of tires, probably 130k combined. Now on the B/F Goodrich K02's and expect the same.
I worry though that if i have to fill up a full size all terrain after patching I might over cook the compressor I have so make sure it's capable. I'm going to carry a full size compact bike pump as a backup. I used to carry one in my atv and I was glad I did when I had to let out all the air to patch flats

I worry though that if i have to fill up a full size all terrain after patching I might over cook the compressor I have so make sure it's capable. I'm going to carry a full size compact bike pump as a backup. I used to carry one in my atv and I was glad I did when I had to let out all the air to patch flats
I haven't looked at run times. My crappy one isn't rated for truck tires but also allegedly has a thermal shutoff feature. I'm probably using it outside the published specifications. Certainly a consideration.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've been lucky with my FJ80 and no spare, just a plug kit and a compressor.
33"er wont fit up underneath and I'm not spending 2K$ on a spare tire rack for the back.
I keep saying I'm gonna get a rim/tire and strap it down in the cargo area just in case.

I haven't looked at run times. My crappy one isn't rated for truck tires but also allegedly has a thermal shutoff feature. I'm probably using it outside the published specifications. Certainly a consideration.
Yea mine says to not run for a certain time continuously (8mins?) and it is slow so that got me thinking to have a bike pump just in case. Can only imagine how long itd take to get a 33in tire up to psi in the 40s with a small compressor

Last edited:
My dad has had the motorhome for about 15 years. Never once did he check to see if the tire iron was the correct size. About a a year ago he blew a tire and realized that the tire iron was indeed the wrong size...

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready for my trip to CO for first rifle. I've made sure my spare is in good order, I have two compressors, scissor jack with some 2x8 pieces of wood for platform if I need it. Chains for all 4 tires (4wd f150). Do yall recommend bringing a come-along and straps? I'll probably pick up some recovery boards but wanted to make sure I'm prepared for the worst.

I would also highly recommend checking your spare in addition to where your lug wrench is, lug key if needed and jack stand any time you rent a car, in or out of the United States. Two horror stories for ya

1) I was in in Belize about 20 years ago for a college class. The class finished early so a buddy and his wife and I decided to rent a car and drive to Guatemala to visit Tikal. I got us through the border checkpoint and that’s where pavement turned to rocky dirt roads. 30 miles into the jungle and we blew a tire. Had no idea where to find the lug wrench nor jack stand. After ripping the interior of the car apart we finally found it. Moved to the back to pull the spare tire off and as we dropped it on the ground you could hear water inside of the tire. A lot of water. With no other option we put it on and proceeded down the road. Within seconds the car started bouncing violently. The tire was warped. We decided at that point to turn around and go back to Belize. 25-30 mph hour the entire way back all the way across Belize. It took hours to get back. Terrible trip.

2). Costa Rica last year for spring break. Had the entire fam with me. Van loaded to the gills with luggage. Headed back from Arenal to the capital to catch our flight home. In the middle of a remote stretch of jungle road just starting a 5 mile descent and on a blind corner our tire blows out. There is no where to pull over. They don’t have shoulders. You get off the pavement and that van is rolling over it’s so steep. A gentleman behind me on a motorcycle pulls up next to me and I ask how far down till I can turn off. He said , it’s too far. Just park here. So on a blind steep turn I am parked. He grabs a pile of branches and piles them in the road up the hill behind us to notify traffic of a hazard. We pull out the lug wrench and jack stand and start to go to town. The lug wrench is the wrong size for the lug nuts. None of them fit. He flags down a random guy whose been driving since 3 am from Nicaragua who has what appeared to be an entire mechanic tool chest in the back of his van. He finds the right socket size and they get it changed. Wouldn’t let me help at all. I paid them handsomely and off we went.

Lesson is…….never never never rent a car or take your own car without knowing where the lug keys are, where the correct lug wrench is, where the jack stand is and what shape the spare is in.

Trial153

WKR
The spare on my new truck is the same size and brand (Falken) as the other tires except it’s on a steel Rim. I bought a second steel rim and another of new matching tire. Providing I like them I am half way to my set, I will keep the best two of the take off for my next spares. If don’t like them I will just replace them all with some flavor of MTs.
I aways have combo bottle jack/stand with me, and regular lug wrench as well.

Last edited:

bigbahksdude

Lil-Rokslider
I would also highly recommend checking your spare in addition to where your lug wrench is, lug key if needed and jack stand any time you rent a car, in or out of the United States. Two horror stories for ya

1) I was in in Belize about 20 years ago for a college class. The class finished early so a buddy and his wife and I decided to rent a car and drive to Guatemala to visit Tikal. I got us through the border checkpoint and that’s where pavement turned to rocky dirt roads. 30 miles into the jungle and we blew a tire. Had no idea where to find the lug wrench nor jack stand. After ripping the interior of the car apart we finally found it. Moved to the back to pull the spare tire off and as we dropped it on the ground you could hear water inside of the tire. A lot of water. With no other option we put it on and proceeded down the road. Within seconds the car started bouncing violently. The tire was warped. We decided at that point to turn around and go back to Belize. 25-30 mph hour the entire way back all the way across Belize. It took hours to get back. Terrible trip.

2). Costa Rica last year for spring break. Had the entire fam with me. Van loaded to the gills with luggage. Headed back from Arenal to the capital to catch our flight home. In the middle of a remote stretch of jungle road just starting a 5 mile descent and on a blind corner our tire blows out. There is no where to pull over. They don’t have shoulders. You get off the pavement and that van is rolling over it’s so steep. A gentleman behind me on a motorcycle pulls up next to me and I ask how far down till I can turn off. He said , it’s too far. Just park here. So on a blind steep turn I am parked. He grabs a pile of branches and piles them in the road up the hill behind us to notify traffic of a hazard. We pull out the lug wrench and jack stand and start to go to town. The lug wrench is the wrong size for the lug nuts. None of them fit. He flags down a random guy whose been driving since 3 am from Nicaragua who has what appeared to be an entire mechanic tool chest in the back of his van. He finds the right socket size and they get it changed. Wouldn’t let me help at all. I paid them handsomely and off we went.

Lesson is…….never never never rent a car or take your own car without knowing where the lug keys are, where the correct lug wrench is, where the jack stand is and what shape the spare is in.
Expanding on this, wife and I got a flat on a USFS logging road in MT last Summer. Got super lucky that we had a spare in the rental we were driving. If you flew somewhere to hunt and are renting a car, do a quick check to make sure the spare is in the trunk or under the truck. Lots of times they take those out. And of course tow trucks won't leave the pavement, so you'll have to hope someone else will find you and have recovery equipment.

I think we just had real bad luck with a random rock in the road, but real good luck with the spare being in the trunk. Anyways, that was a hike cut short.