PSA regarding Safariland holsters

I really feel like Safariland holsters are top notch in quality and fit, I have no gripes in that department. This is not a product bash, just a PSA for other users. The ALS absolutely does NOT function in sub zero temperatures even if moisture isn't present, your sidearm will be stuck in the holster and require a lot force to draw. There were three Safariland and two Serpa holsters in my group this year. Two Beretta, two Glock, one Springfield. Temps below 20 deg made the Safariland extremely hard to draw, and temps below zero made it a two handed wrestling match to draw the pistol.
I've used the Serpa for years with no complaints, I only switched to the Safariland because they offer better muzzle protection and an absolute positive lock .
If you're looking for a retention holster and plan on hunting in cold temps, the Safariland is not your friend.

sndmn11

WKR
My first cop job was in Winter Park, Colorado and the rotation work out to where I worked nights over the winter. -20f was not uncommon and traffic stops needed to happen with less than two minutes at the window or your hands were toast.

Never had an issue with the ALS or SLS retention and my pistol was unholstered at least a few times a work week. Did you try adjusting the tension? Were these pistol only holsters or with a mounted light?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I really feel like Safariland holsters are top notch in quality and fit, I have no gripes in that department. This is not a product bash, just a PSA for other users. The ALS absolutely does NOT function in sub zero temperatures even if moisture isn't present, your sidearm will be stuck in the holster and require a lot force to draw. There were three Safariland and two Serpa holsters in my group this year. Two Beretta, two Glock, one Springfield. Temps below 20 deg made the Safariland extremely hard to draw, and temps below zero made it a two handed wrestling match to draw the pistol.
I've used the Serpa for years with no complaints, I only switched to the Safariland because they offer better muzzle protection and an absolute positive lock .
If you're looking for a retention holster and plan on hunting in cold temps, the Safariland is not your friend.

7TS or 6000 series?

Have and do use ALS holsters in below zero temps all the time.

OP
D
Pistols only, no optics were mounted. I adjusted the tension on them a few time as they seem to mold to each weapon gradually and the draw only got smoother over time
My first cop job was in Winter Park, Colorado and the rotation work out to where I worked nights over the winter. -20f was not uncommon and traffic stops needed to happen with less than two minutes at the window or your hands were toast.

Never had an issue with the ALS or SLS retention and my pistol was unholstered at least a few times a work week. Did you try adjusting the tension? Were these pistol only holsters or with a mounted light?

BCsteve

WKR
We use the Safariland with ALS and SLS up here in Canada from your border to the Arctic Circle. We had a couple of documented issues in cold weather when first issued but in discussion with Safariland we are now told to spray the internals with silicone lube once a month. I haven’t of any further issues since.

OP
D
@Formidilosus
I have an immense amount of respect for your posts, and look forward to reading anything you offer on these forums. I hope you get percentages of SWFA sales because I've bought three in the last two years from scanning your commentary.
I'll check the tension one more time, but it seems the thumb release is stuck in cold temps...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus
I have an immense amount of respect for your posts, and look forward to reading anything you offer on these forums. I hope you get percentages of SWFA sales because I've bought three in the last two years from scanning your commentary.
I'll check the tension one more time, but it seems the thumb release is stuck in cold temps...

Don’t make a dime for them.

If the lever is what’s sticking, don’t be afraid to trim some plastic away if you see what’s causing it.