Psa, scammers, hackers and your accounts.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
There’s been a few hacked accounts recently operating in the classifieds. As Ryan posted a few days ago, please change your password and turn on the two step verification. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scammers-spammers-and-hackers.273252/
In addition I would like to ask for you to do this with any related accounts such as your email (for Rokslide), your payment service (pp, Venmo etc), any social media account that you might have linked to here (tapatalk). Please don’t use the same password for multiple accounts or variations of the password.

Let’s all do our part to keep our Rokslide accounts and classifieds as secure as possible and please report suspicious content.

TIA,
Tony

Last edited:

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Local security firm suggests that in order to remember different passwords for different sites, you can use a password formula.

Like this

Common word or name, special character, website abbreviation, special character and then a common 4 or 5 digit number. The common name or digits will be used across multiple sites, the abbreviation and characters will remain constant and unique to every site.

Rokslide example

Username: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Password: Hunt.rok+12345

This allows you to use a unique password for every site that is easily remembered.

I change my first common name or last common digits quarterly and vary the lengths.

cruisin68

FNG
There’s been a few hacked accounts recently operating in the classifieds. As Ryan posted a few days ago, please change your password and turn on the two step verification. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scammers-spammers-and-hackers.273252/
In addition I would like to ask for you to do this with any related accounts such as your email (for Rokslide), your payment service (pp, Venmo etc), any social media account that you might have linked to here (tapatalk). Please don’t use the same password for multiple accounts or variations of the password.

Let’s all do our part to keep our Rokslide accounts and classifieds as secure as possible and please report suspicious content.

TIA,
Tony

cruisin68

FNG
I Believe that ANY SCAMMERS/ or SPAMMERS would have to have ALOT of PATIENCE and TIME for doing ANY SCAMMING/SPAMMING due to these CRAZY REGULATIONS with this WEBSITE's RULES and REGUALATIONS just to ASK a QUESTION or just INTRODUCE ONES SELF !!!
at 72 YEARS OLD and NO PC GURU... I am CONFUSED !

For two factor authentication, in addition to an email and app option to get a security code, could receiving a code via text be added?

I have had MFA apps at employers for the last five years, and they frequently have issues. Don’t like using email either because that is one of the most frequently hacked things.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For two factor authentication, in addition to an email and app option to get a security code, could receiving a code via text be added?

I have had MFA apps at employers for the last five years, and they frequently have issues. Don’t like using email either because that is one of the most frequently hacked things.
@Jskaanland @Ryan Avery would know better than I would.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Text isn't an option for now.

I've been using Google Authenticator for years on other sites and just started using it here, without issue. One thing I will say for the software we use, you can set it up so it only asks once for a specific device. So my main computer and phone don't require it anymore. If I logged in on another device I would have to use Google Authenticator. Heres a list of apps that should work Authy, Google Authenticator, KeePassX and Yubikey.