PSA: Shut the DAM Gate!!

I also grew up on a farm/ranch and depending on what had happened with hunters…some years my dad wouldn’t let hunters on our property. When you spend a large portion of a day rounding up cattle out of your wheat field destroying part of next year’s crop and taking pounds off of the cattle at the same time. All because someone didn’t shut a gate.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I always leave the gate as I found it. As someone noted, it can burn you if the idiot before you left it open. (And you get blamed!)

It isn't that hard folks. Small price to pay.

Per the USDA report for 2021 rental rates per acre.
Idaho $13
Oregon $11
Washington $8

Just for fun go rent 20,000 acres for pennies.

I absolutely agree that you should shut the gate.

Maybe somebody who thoroughly understand it can sort this out for me. I thought that beef producers paid X dollars per month for each cow/calf unit they were running on a piece of leased federal land as in post #15. by North park. I understood under Bruce Babbitt the price went up to about five dollars per cow calf unit. seems like it’s back down lower now. Under what circumstances does the farmer rent land by the acre? Is that land for growing crops? if a beef producer is renting 10,000 acres at $13 per, in Idaho that’s 130,000. if that’s really rich grassy land, maybe you could Run enough cattle to make money. If it’s Sagebrush and cheat grass, Seems like you lose money.

I’m not sure exactly what the USDA report was about that showed the per acre charges…here’s a screenshot that shows per amu charge. I believe this was from 2011

Attachments

• 7C938A3A-5E4D-4FA7-9C29-A28001A02E0D.jpeg
    7C938A3A-5E4D-4FA7-9C29-A28001A02E0D.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 31

Northpark

WKR
Maybe somebody who thoroughly understand it can sort this out for me. I thought that beef producers paid X dollars per month for each cow/calf unit they were running on a piece of leased federal land as in post #15. by North park. I understood under Bruce Babbitt the price went up to about five dollars per cow calf unit. seems like it’s back down lower now. Under what circumstances does the farmer rent land by the acre? Is that land for growing crops? if a beef producer is renting 10,000 acres at $13 per, in Idaho that’s 130,000. if that’s really rich grassy land, maybe you could Run enough cattle to make money. If it’s Sagebrush and cheat grass, Seems like you lose money.
Agriculture receives a lot of $$$ in form of drought insurance, crop Insurance, FSA money for feed, disaster relief, NRCS funding infrastructure, and other varieties of government subsidies. The cattle industry has people in all levels of government to keep that money flowing. Think if I remember right the agricultural industry receives on average $25 billion per year in the US. Can’t remember exactly where I found that figure but It was published recently.

KsRancher

WKR
Most private pasture land I know of is leased per acre. But if you put in a per day basis it would be $1.10-$1.50 per cow/calf pair per DAY. Those cattle running at $1.50/month. Yes, that is pennies. I know their losses are more, etc. BUT THEY DONT PAY SQUAT FOR THE GRAZING

OP
FatCampzWife

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Agriculture receives a lot of $$$ in form of drought insurance, crop Insurance, FSA money for feed, disaster relief, NRCS funding infrastructure, and other varieties of government subsidies. The cattle industry has people in all levels of government to keep that money flowing. Think if I remember right the agricultural industry receives on average $25 billion per year in the US. Can’t remember exactly where I found that figure but It was published recently.
Sigh...many of you: don't remember the '80's Farm Crisis, weren't close enough to it (didn't lose your family farm or lose people to the rash of farmer suicides), don't know a whole lot about farmer return on products, or know maybe a few farmers that absolutely take advantage of a system to the extreme (just gonna drop this "our lovely gub'ners family does it, too" here)...

Here's a graphic, easy to read, & hopefully sheds light on why farm programs are needed...(buy LOCAL!)
1665536530411.png

BTW: this thread USED to be about common courtesy...

Elite7

FNG
I don’t think most are giving the farmers a fair thought on this one. I can run one cow on 3 acres here in Missouri. If I take that same cow and put it in most of the blm ground out west you’re looking at a lot more acres to run that cow per year.

There are a lot of factors that go into what I’m willing to pay per acre for rental pasture and I’m sure it’s the same out there. I imagine most of the public ground out there isn’t subdividing and water sources are limited compared to private lands.

I’ve farmed all my life in some form of another. Subsidies aren’t common. The number may seem large but it’s spread through a lot of programs and states. Most of the time you feel like the government is there just to make sure there’s a small profit margin being made so that food prices remain low

OP
FatCampzWife

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Do explain.
250 acres private Iowa prime whitetail habitat, bowseason only, $1000+

1000's of acres (or, half the state in our case), bow season muledeer buck, $40 (?)

Managing Federal & BLM land isn't free...the national budget is millions of $...

ToolMann

WKR
250 acres private Iowa prime whitetail habitat, bowseason only, $1000+

1000's of acres (or, half the state in our case), bow season muledeer buck, $40 (?)

Managing Federal & BLM land isn't free...the national budget is millions of $...
Paid for by taxes. That I pay plenty of. If you think the only money out if your/my pocket for that public land hunting access is your tag fee, you're mistaken.

OP
FatCampzWife

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Paid for by taxes. That I pay plenty of. If you think the only money out if your/my pocket for that public land hunting access is your tag fee, you're mistaken.
I'm not mistaken, I am very much aware of where my tax dollars go... but I'd MUCH rather pay taxes towards maintaining wild, beautiful lands, and the <2% of people who grow my food, than the oil/car/banking/energy/manufacturing and other industries that seem to "limp along" and make record profits...while receiving Billions in subsidies (aka. Our Tax Dollars)

ToolMann

WKR
I'm not mistaken, I am very much aware of where my tax dollars go... but I'd MUCH rather pay taxes towards maintaining wild, beautiful lands, and the <2% of people who grow my food, than the oil/car/banking/energy/manufacturing and other industries that seem to "limp along" and make record profits...while receiving Billions in subsidies (aka. Our Tax Dollars)
Speaking if what this thread used to be about...

IdahoBeav

WKR
Not the same thing at all.
It isn't the same thing. The rancher pays taxes and grazing fees- a direct fee to use public land. Hunters pay taxes and zero or miniscule fees to hunt public land. Hunters make up a very small portion of the taxpayer population, yet every tax payer is paying to maintain public lands.

Non-hunters are paying for our recreation, i.e. welfare.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk