PSA--Yellowstone Closed!

WCB

WKR
I bet the reservoir managers in central and northern Montana (where storage levels are 10-25% of normal) would love to move some of the Yellowstone water up north a few hundred miles for storage. Yeah it’s costly and not energy efficient… but this type of thing, along with investing more in better storage, will be happening a lot more in the future.
ok?

amassi

WKR
Like most of the western USA, we here in Cal. are into our fourth year of below normal rainfall, way below. During the wet years you can go by one of the many flood control canals ( they are called rivers out here) and watch trillions of gallons of rain water flow on its way to the ocean. These canals run anywhere from 15 ft. wide by 12 ft. deep too, 300 ft. wide and 30 ft. deep. I have asked myself many times, why hasn't the effort, and yes expense been put into pumping a lot of that water in to catch basin up and down the canals. Much of the land along these canals are of the industrial type, and storage could be built and not effect residential areas. Where I live there have been a few 500,000 gallon under ground storage tanks put in to catch rain water, if we ever get any, all of which is intended for irrigation for city parkways and freeway landscaping. There is no reason not to use that water for household use during times of drought, which are often out here. The expense would be high but, something needs to be done to collect the water, rather than letting it run out to the ocean.
You mean sites reservoir?
The American River watershed also needs 2 larger upstream storage facilities since folsom is far too small.

Water deliveries to the San Joaquin Valley should be curtailed permently, especially during wet years to keep reservoirs full. No more desert ag

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You mean sites reservoir?
The American River watershed also needs 2 larger upstream storage facilities since folsom is far too small.

Water deliveries to the San Joaquin Valley should be curtailed permently, especially during wet years to keep reservoirs full. No more desert ag

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Reservoirs are ideal and there are already some where the runoff could be pumped too, but even that is not being done. I just feel that along with the current reservoirs, other water storage location along the runoff canals would be filled once the reservoirs reached capacity. With droughts lasting years, there could never be enough reserves of water.

We traveled up here from Arkansas. Had plans to be in Gardiner, MT at the North Entrance tonight but luckily the lady from the hotel called and told us what was going on. They are completely cut off, no way in or out. We re-routed down to Cody but it looks like we won’t make it into Yellowstone on this trip.

Go to Buffalo Bills Wild West Center. It is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was reading an article saying Montana Governor Gianforte has basicallly been MIA throughout this and the Lt. Gov has been handling everything??? Seems like you'd head back ASAP for a disaster like this. Will be interesting to hear where he has been

Was reading an article saying Montana Governor Gianforte has basicallly been MIA throughout this and the Lt. Gov has been handling everything??? Seems like you'd head back ASAP for a disaster like this. Will be interesting to hear where he has been
Sounds like he stole a page from one of our Senators play books - Cancun Ted.

KurtR

WKR
Whats he going to do watch the water flow with every one else? Having been through all the floods here in 97 i could of gave a shit if the governor was around or not had better shit to worry about.

Whats he going to do watch the water flow with every one else? Having been through all the floods here in 97 i could of gave a shit if the governor was around or not had better shit to worry about.
I get your sentiment, but typically leaders want to be, and should be around during disasters and other large events.

The governor can start applying for disaster aid, call up the national guard to help with clean up and assist local law enforcement by closing down roads, etc. I've got no skin in the game I just found it interesting as the article I had seen made it sound like he wasn't communicating a lot over the first few days of the flood unfolding.

Oh well, damage is done either way. Carry on.

Broomd

WKR
You know it was real bad when it even change the MT. in the back ground.
Yeah, noticed that as well. Let's assume that's not the exact location where original photo was taken.
I saw recent overhead shots that seemed to confirm that valley was completely trashed.