PSE Mach 1 vs Bowtech Icon (something else?)

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Wanting to build a lightweight bow setup for a OTC archery elk hunt this Sept where I expect to hike several miles per day in search of elk with bow in hand. I know, its OTC and probably won't need the bow anyway :ROFLMAO: but these are the 2 I keep coming back to.....

Bowtech Icon - 7" brace height, 31" ATA, 335 IBO, weighs 3.2#

PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1 - 6 1/8" brace height, 32 1/8" ATA. 324 IBO, weighs 3.5#

I can't find the Zion in stock anywhere which is why I am looking at the Icon...seems to be the same bow as the Diamond deploy, Black knight, etc. I know it's half the price of the PSE, but I'm sure there are some good reasons for that.

If anyone has experience backpack elk hunting with these or other sub 4# bows, please let me know your thoughts.

Note - Current bow is an Elite Synergy which is 33.5" ATA, very forgiving 7 3/8" brace height, and 4.4#. Have also been looking at the Bowtech Solution SS 😬, but with its 4# weight, seems like I would just be upgrading to upgrade, and not to reduce weight.

Thanks for any guidance

In my experience those light bows take more to balance and hold for me. By the time I have my quiver and sight/rest the bow has picked up a fair amount of weight, I think mine was right at 6.5# this past year, that was no bars, lightweight sight, rest, quiver with 6 arrows. The way that bow balanced worked for me.

big44a4

WKR
Wanting to build a lightweight bow setup for a OTC archery elk hunt this Sept where I expect to hike several miles per day in search of elk with bow in hand. I know, its OTC and probably won't need the bow anyway :ROFLMAO: but these are the 2 I keep coming back to.....

Bowtech Icon - 7" brace height, 31" ATA, 335 IBO, weighs 3.2#

PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1 - 6 1/8" brace height, 32 1/8" ATA. 324 IBO, weighs 3.5#

I can't find the Zion in stock anywhere which is why I am looking at the Icon...seems to be the same bow as the Diamond deploy, Black knight, etc. I know it's half the price of the PSE, but I'm sure there are some good reasons for that.

If anyone has experience backpack elk hunting with these or other sub 4# bows, please let me know your thoughts.

Note - Current bow is an Elite Synergy which is 33.5" ATA, very forgiving 7 3/8" brace height, and 4.4#. Have also been looking at the Bowtech Solution SS , but with its 4# weight, seems like I would just be upgrading to upgrade, and not to reduce weight.

Thanks for any guidance

I had a Bowtech Carbon Knight. Setup ended weighing nearly the same as any other bow. Not a fan of light bows as they move more in the wind. My hunting bows with full quiver end up in the 9-10# range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
I went down this path last year. Shot a bunch of bows. Ended up with the PSE MACH 1. Flat out one of my favorite bows I have owned over the years. The fact that it is light is just an added bonus (and the listed weight is real). This is the 1st time in 6 years I didn’t buy multiple bows and pick a new one. Obviously everyone’s mileage varies but this is a bow I will own for a while. Speed is great and as advertised. Draw cycle is smooth. Holds steady. Quiet. Grip is alright, I use hockey tape anyways. Stays in tune. Back wall is right on.

Go shoot one!

I agree with TenBears completely...bought a ton of bows over the years. Been waiting on a Mach1 for a while that just came in last week. I bought it for the shot and feel- carbon is a bonus. I hunt a lot of late season and carrying around an aluminum at 20 degrees is no fun.

OR Archer

WKR
Those two bows are not even on the same level. I’ll flat out say the Bowtech “carbon” bows are big POS. I’ve seen a number of those risers warp. The Mach one is a good bow. Definitely the way to go between those two choices. You may want to take a look at the 2021 Xpeditions also. They have some nice lightweight offerings as well.

enemyway

FNG
I agree with ORarcher. The Mach 1 is probably the best carbon bow made. Its faster than advertised, its light for bow hiking, and it shoots as well as the best target bows. The negatives are price and some have finish issues (cracks in riser paint). I've shot a muley, coues, bighorn ewe, bull elk, Merriam turkey, while hiking all over NM with it.

DOMMA

FNG
I went down this path last year. Shot a bunch of bows. Ended up with the PSE MACH 1. Flat out one of my favorite bows I have owned over the years. The fact that it is light is just an added bonus (and the listed weight is real). This is the 1st time in 6 years I didn’t buy multiple bows and pick a new one. Obviously everyone’s mileage varies but this is a bow I will own for a while. Speed is great and as advertised. Draw cycle is smooth. Holds steady. Quiet. Grip is alright, I use hockey tape anyways. Stays in tune. Back wall is right on.

Go shoot one!
I agree. The Mach 1 is the first PSE I have ever owned. I am blown away at how well this light bow holds on target. Super impressed with this bow.

those bows cannot really be compared, they are in different worlds. i had a carbon knight for a couple years, and grew to hate that bow.... looking back, i'm guessing i was one of the lucky ones with a warped riser. that bow was not user friendly at all, wouldn't hold a tune, and was just all around fickle.

i currently own a mach 1, and never had a place to shoot one so bought a new one sight unseen.... it looks "too good" on paper, and figured it had some type of downfall in real world. luckily, i was wrong, that is my favorite bow to date, and it's not very close.

it is very light, but it holds incredibly well for it's weight (or any weight for that matter) i have a counter slide on it right now, but shot it without a stabilizer last year because i liked it better without a front bar. seriously a top notch bow, and shoots better than the specs indicate. of course they have one of the better draw cycles in the industry.... far better than some.

i think they are #1 for a pure mountain hunting machine, great shooting bows. i have a set of strings that should show up any day, i'm still shooting the factory strings, they are still in really good shape for being almost a year old, and they have been solid..... best factory strings i have shot by a good amount. i was going to swap them pretty quick, but never found a reason to, no peep rotation/serving separation, and held up well in the wet and brush..... the Oregon coast is hell on strings, and mine have really surprised me. now i will have a backup set ready to rock that are still in great shape.