Ptg trued actions

brushape

WKR
Anyone buy one of the trued R.E.M. 700 actions pacific tool and gauge sells? I'm pricing out an upcoming build it seems like a good deal when you add in the 1 piece lapua bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I was going to use their bottom metal until I researched the company and customer service sucks with quality issues, their actions are not cheap if they need to be trued up and for what they sell their trued and blue printed actions I would get a name brand over ptg.

Talk to your smith but to get their action trued you'll be paying for it and cost will probably not end up much less overall. Just have to decide, spend more on the action or the gun smithing but in the end you'll be spending the same.

I asked this question to a few different smiths and they all said the same thing I typed above.

My smith said the same thing, "just get me a rem 700 action and I'll true it". Them i let him talk me into a defiance action and ivery never been happier

FURMAN

WKR
I have read numerous bad reviews about PTG. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. If you feel you have other better and/or cheaper options go that route but remember most people only tell about the bad experiences.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
I have only had one experience with ptg and I bought go-nogo gauges that were delivered nice and quick. I can get a trued 700 long action from them with a one piece bolt with the lapua face for $657.25 I don't know how that can be beat. Long rifles inc quoted me $749 for a accurazied 700 long action with extra fees for the lapua bolt face, thread bolt handle, etc

I'm sure you can find negative feed on just about anything or anyone. My experience with them has been great! And now they are just around the corner from my work so I stopped in and asked for a tour just out of the blue 1 day. Everyone their was great to deal with and it was a very informative stop.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Wapitibob, have you trued an action or do you have machining knowledge? Using a piloted reamer to true the bolt raceway is common practice, I doubt there is a smith out there that uses a boring bar to true a raceway. Single point cutting the action threads is another topic.
Their price for a trued 700 action with fluted one piece bolt is attractive.

wapitibob

WKR
25 years cutting metal. If I screw up things fall out of the sky.
Smiths do several things nobody in a shop would do; like using id/od threads and face contact to try and hold concentricity of two mating parts.
Just giving my opinion, I wouldn't touch that action myself. I know guys that use Brownells action tools and a drill press and they're happy. That's really all that matters.

Last edited: