Public Land DIY Antelope Pros/Cons

I have hunted archery antelope OTC the last two years on public land, without guidance. Between the three of us that often hunt together we have harvested 3 Antelope in two years with a bow. A task that can seem impossible, but is far from it. We used many strategies from sitting water holes, spot/stalk, decoys, and everything in between. I don't want to dive to far into strategies because I am certainly not a professional but I do want to go over the pros and cons of DIY on public land.

Pros:
-There is plenty of public land full of antelope opportunities, not having a spot to hunt antelope should almost never be an excuse.
-The pricing, My tag was around the $300 mark and bought over the counter, meaning this was a hunt I could do every year if I want to.
-Early season, most antelope seasons are open in August, which is often times before any other seasons for deer, elk, etc..
-The meat, this might be the best part of the whole deal, antelope is a very tender and great tasting meat, just be sure you are prepared to take care of it when you do find success as it is often times very hot out still.
-All day hunts, you can pretty much find antelope all day long, which means you can hunt all day long, so there is no waiting until the first and last hour of the day to find animals.

Cons:
-The biggest con I have found to this point is other people, while typically everyone I've met in the field has been helpful and polite, it is still frustrating for all parties when you run in to someone around every corner, however after opening weekend this tends to get better.
-The difficulty, you have to be persistent and open minded to hunt this animals on public land, you must be willing to adapt and handle failure appropriatly because you will likely encounter many road blocks
-Small target, long shots, you will need to be able to make shots beyond fifty yards if you want realistic odds of harvesting an Antelope, assuming you get that close without them knowing that is.
-Terrain is flat and they have incredible eyesight, so patience is a must, while this isn't really a con it might be a deal breaker for someone that wants an easier hunt.

All in all, its a fun and reasonable hunt that can be done in many different fashions. You can use this hunt to sharpen up your skills, get some meat in the freezer, and to start the fall a little sooner, who doesn't like the sounds of that? Let me know what some of your experiences have been and whether you agree or disagree. This was the kind of stuff I liked to read on when preparing for my fall so I love to return the favor!

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
It's definitely a unique hunt. I did OTC in Nebraska up in the grasslands last year. Super fun chasing them for half a week. Gorgeous animals.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
With antelope I’ve learned you need to keep moving tell you get away from the crowds. I’m not any expert by any means but have done a little archery antelope. The first season I learned a lot and I actually did shoot a goat but lost blood in a bad rain storm. The worst feeling I’ve ever experienced during a hunt and I still replay that hunt over and over in my head. But I still apply for the archery tag mainly because the season starts so early and there’s far less pressure during archery season then rifle season.

Bearguide

FNG
I am very cheap and hate to pay an outfitter. outfitters are great to get you on game. the things I have learned is to wait till residents are not out on the weekend, since I am always a non resident when hunting antelope I find mid week works the best and you and may see other non residents and you can help each other out by talking and listening about your recent experience, nothing wrong with residents they have help first but I find timing is your big obstacle.

4dcfries

FNG
It's definitely a unique hunt. I did OTC in Nebraska up in the grasslands last year. Super fun chasing them for half a week. Gorgeous animals.
Dude...I was thinking of trying this same area in the first week of Sept this year. Would love your input on whatever.

Jimss

WKR
Obviously units that are almost entirely public land can be antelope hunted without the aid of a guide. However, there are definite advantages to hunting lightly hunted private land....with or without a guide.

My guess is that there are likely fewer bucks harvested on private vs adjacent public land. In units with lots of tags antelope may be pressured from public land onto lightly hunted private land. With that said, there potentially are more bucks...and possibly bigger bucks that make it through each hunting season on private vs adacent public land.

If you think about it, trophy antelope units that take lots of pts to draw....every hunter that draws these tags is likely fairly picky trying to harvest trophy bucks. Private land in these same areas may actually have better potential for a true whopper!

With all that said, I've had incredible experiences over the years hunting public land...especially lightly hunted public land. Depending upon the unit, winterkill, hunting pressure, amount of public land available, etc, there are great bucks available on public land. Hunting units with little public land and lots of tags may take more time and effort. If you want to harvest a high scoring buck you may need to think a little out of the box. It also helps to be able to properly field judge bucks....which is almost a science with antelope! They are thrilling animals to hunt!

Last edited:

Jaker_cc

WKR
I hunted on my own last year on public and killed a Booner goat during my archery hunt. Had a chance at a larger one that another hunter cut off my stalk after he glassed me making a move. He hauled butt across the flat in his SxS and pushed the goat out of the country.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
I did yesterday morning. Should be in here somewhere
I hunted on my own last year on public and killed a Booner goat during my archery hunt. Had a chance at a larger one that another hunter cut off my stalk after he glassed me making a move. He hauled butt across the flat in his SxS and pushed the goat out of the country.

is pressure like that common on DIY public land hunts, i mean where is a Hunter's etiquette bumping an animal like that.

I'm fairly new to trad bowhunting and dont mind walking a way's to get outta the crowds.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
is pressure like that common on DIY public land hunts, i mean where is a Hunter's etiquette bumping an animal like that.

I'm fairly new to trad bowhunting and dont mind walking a way's to get outta the crowds.

Sometimes you can't see or know. My partner moved in a 3 mile arc to get behind them and they pulled in off the road. Just happens. Some people just don't know better. Anything I can equate to stupidity/ignorance instead of maliciousness I do.

Jaker_cc

WKR

This guy knew I was there, he absolutely knew what he was doing. It’s the only time it happened in 5 days

Rich M

WKR

I equate it to a fishing tournament, folks will have a little tunnel vision regarding what they want. Most guys are decent.

Rich M

WKR
This guy knew I was there, he absolutely knew what he was doing. It’s the only time it happened in 5 days

No doubt. If the antelope was as big as you said - it could have been someone reserving that critter for a guided hunt or whatnot.

I am amazed at a lot of the stories that seem to have a bit of repetition - guides chasing elk off public on to private any time someone shows up to hunt the public land seems to be very common.

There’s always the points game as well we tagged out on three nice antelope in WY with very little pressure during the week, weekend a bit more crowded. Some of the private ranches allowed access with a permission slip that you can obtain off the computer, but the unit we hunted took three points and was well worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk