Public Land Ethics

Panfish1

FNG
Question on Public Land Ethics.

So I scouted four different states (deer, elk, bear) for three different species over the past several years. And I see a trend that a bit concerning and I like to hear your opinions.

In a nutshell, it goes like this. You research public land; you e-scout it, then you go there and put boots on the ground to verify what you see. But then you get there you find a slew of ground blinds, treestand, folding chairs, water holes manmade, and even worst mineral and salt licks some of them not legal per state regulations.

At first, I just keep moving on to other places, but now I am like why am I letting people "claim public property" by leaving structure there year-round? I work hard to find that location as well. No one told where it was. I am not going to hunt near/by or around an illegal mineral/food lick (i will start sending these GPS location to the local game warden to deal with) but on the other hand people can't just litter up the woods with treestand and ground blinds, etc. and call the area theirs. One key spot had 4 treestands within eyesight of each other. If someone already there I yield and move on but leaving stuff up year-round really??

To be honest it is sad seeing all this crap left in our woods...

Not trying to start a "range war" here just looking for "Positive Ways" in which others have approached theses situation.

Rob5589

WKR
Illegal licks, etc, report the locations. For one, it is illegal and BS. Two, I would not want myself or others getting busted by unknowingly hunting nearby.

I try and not to hunt another guys set up, stand, blind, etc, if I know it's there. But if they leave it up year round in order to "claim" the spot, I see it as fair game.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt public for deer a lot so my response is specific to that... I don’t have enough experience with elk or bear nor large swaths of public out west to speak intelligently. That said, your absolutely right about people “claiming” public property or other illegals activities. You shouldn’t and don’t have to yield to their claim and have every right to hunt there, assuming they don’t beat you to the spot during actual hunting time). However you almost certainly WANT TO keep moving. In almost 100% of the cases those type of people have bad entry or exit routes, pay little to no attention to wind direction, and over hunt the area. In short, you want to keep moving because the hunting sucks. Find an area with little or no signs of human intrusion and the hunting improves dramatically.

I don’t want to hunt someone else’s illegal bait either.

Last year my wife stumbled on a salt lick in part of the area I was hunting. She didn’t have a GPS so she was only able to give a general map location. I had two unsuccessful encounters probably ~1/2 mile from her guesstimated location, and it did worry me on whether it was unethical even if I wasnt trying to line up the crosshairs right over the lick.

Thanks for he reminder that I need to get back out there this spring to see if I can pinpoint it and call it in or just pack it out.

street

WKR
I hunt public for deer a lot so my response is specific to that... I don’t have enough experience with elk or bear nor large swaths of public out west to speak intelligently. That said, your absolutely right about people “claiming” public property or other illegals activities. You shouldn’t and don’t have to yield to their claim and have every right to hunt there, assuming they don’t beat you to the spot during actual hunting time). However you almost certainly WANT TO keep moving. In almost 100% of the cases those type of people have bad entry or exit routes, pay little to no attention to wind direction, and over hunt the area. In short, you want to keep moving because the hunting sucks. Find an area with little or no signs of human intrusion and the hunting improves dramatically.

My experience also. Most of my hunting is finding the spots others aren't. Those are the best spots- the deer adjust to pressure quickly, at least the big bucks im after.

KyleR1985

WKR
Thank them for eliminating chunks of property you don’t have to waste time with.

if you feel like taking an active role in reducing law breaking, report illegal activity.

if you expect people to stop being people, you’re not managing your expectations properly.

if you’re just here to rant, we all don’t like that thing either!

elkyinzer

WKR
It's gotten totally ridiculous in some areas. It is frustrating the way people junk up the public woods for sure. I see more and more gripes about it every year and I fully expect more states to start enacting carry in/carry out regulations.

That said, most of the stands I find are in pretty awful spots, the type of places you might think are good if you read too many Field and Stream articles or spend more time watching youtubers than spending time in the woods. Map scouting was so 2000's..... now that everyone and their brother does it extensively, it is virtually useless at finding specific spots. Still valuable for macro research, generally terrible for micro analyzing areas.

As far as actionable strategies, I just try to use the information best I can. I don't want to waste my time at a spot that has been overhunted, hunted with bad access, hunted with bad winds, etc and I can often use that knowledge to my advantage knowing where other guys are hunting.

That mainly applies in archery season. I try to determine if the stand is being used and how. I rely on scouting their presence. Scout for their tracks, trails, glow tacks, etc. Scout for trucks parked. You can place a big branch on their stand and see it it disappears/moves. If all indications are that is still a good spot, I'm hunting there as planned. I might be in the next tree over.

Rifle season I let them win. Most of the permanent stands here are rifle hunters. It really sucks because our rifle season is hugely pressure oriented and a ton of the good escape routes are claimed. I agree it should be first come first served but I tend to avoid other hunters because I don't want the confrontation and know how pissy some of the spot claimers can get.

I don't feel bad about reporting, especially if it crosses the unethical poaching line.

I've found some great duck spots from slobs leaving piles of empty shells....

Keep in mind that there are many cattle leases on public lands across the West. Almost all salt blocks I have ever found were placed for cattle in areas that have grazing leases. Personal property can only remain on Forest Service land legally for 14 days at a time, so the perma treestands and other gear or belongings are probably there unlawfully.

Scouting is still a success even if you are just finding places to cross off your list.

rob86jeep

WKR
What exactly is your question? Are you asking if you should bypass those areas vs hunt them anyways or something else altogether?

TSAMP

WKR
Alot of times i keep tabs on stands i find left out year around. They always belong to lazy hunters who likely will hunt once or twice. Ill toss dirt on the seat and check it periodically. 95 percent the time its never touched. So i hunt that area and have had success doing so. I guess i should look at it as helpful. its a landmark that sends active hunters running, but me and that guy who hung it know he wont be showing up anytime soon.

Rich M

WKR
I'd rather folks not know where I hunt but do find a lot of stands out there.

Some folks say that it is stealing to remove and illegal stand on public property. Seems like a scrapper could do pretty good for himself.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
My state, MS, has an online submission form that you can use to report violations. Tree stands aren’t illegal, but I think by our state law, they would be considered abandoned property after hunting season is over. I never mess with them. But if it’s there long enough for bark to start growing over the straps, I’d say a reasonable person would agree it has been “abandoned”.

Dumped corn and vehicle/ATV trespassing on public land are the main things I report.

Positive ways?

1) Pack out as much of their trash as you realistically can.
2) Scout the area around their "spots" to see if it makes sense to hunt in the area. I go on the assumption that they put their blind/stand there for a reason and then look to see if my assumption appears to be correct. I have no qualms going up or down the trail a few hundred yards.
3) Leave a "gift" in the blind or on top of their ladder stand.
4) Easy enough to move a ground blind 50 yards or so.
5) If there is anything blatantly illegal, report it.
6) Focus on what matters: the sheer joy of scouting and hunting.

11boo

WKR
Man, I hunt one of the heaviest hit units in Colorado. I have only found one decent tree stand, some jack wagon brought in on an ATV. Over A MILE from the road closure .

Not a tree stand, but I did get some use from this find.

097D9E9C-8E43-460C-8667-71FEC6FA34DE.jpeg

OP
Panfish1

Panfish1

FNG
Thanks, guys for your response and suggestions!
I like these:

1) Pack out as much of their trash as you realistically can. - Yes, respect what you love - I try to leave the woods a better place then when I came if I can.
5) If there is anything blatantly illegal, report it. - Agree
6) Focus on what matters: the sheer joy of scouting and hunting. - Amen!

AZ_Hunter_2000 - you have great advice.

Good Hunting!
Dave