Public land hunting

Beachmode

FNG
Brand new to this forum but wanted to see if anyone ever hunted the public land in eastern Kentucky called Daniel Boone national forest or in Ohio the Ohio department of natural resources (AEP land)? Never hunted public land just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these two places. Thank you

CJ19

WKR
Brand new to this forum but wanted to see if anyone ever hunted the public land in eastern Kentucky called Daniel Boone national forest or in Ohio the Ohio department of natural resources (AEP land)? Never hunted public land just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these two places. Thank you
Ive hunted ohio a few times. Plenty of fun to be had. We hunted several different areas of public land over the years. Encountered game in all the spots i have been. Its not exactly a secret but there is no reason you cant pick a spot there and get on deer with a little work.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve hunted a few public spots in Ohio. Killed a 7pt during a 5 day archery trip in 2020

Rellim33

FNG
Hunt Ohio every year, have hunted public a lot, killed some of my biggest bucks on public. Hunted AEP 4 years ago, it was popular before the state took over and has just gotten more popular since then im my opinion. Not to say there arent some quality bucks there, but go into it knowing its going to be tough going getting something decent. I personally prefer Salt Fork over AEP.

I’ve hunted the Daniel Boone in ky. More so, the red river gorge area. Good hunting in there if you are willing to get boots on the ground and find them. Have some good boots because the terrain is up and down and very steep in some places. In gun season, you’ll find a lot more traffic with the orange army hitting the woods but still have opportunity for success if you are willing to hike a bit further in. Archery season is usually a lot less crowded and typically, in most places, you won’t see another hunter. Keep in mind though, it is public land so although you might not see another hunter, you can plan on seeing at least one person doing a non-hunting related activity once or twice per season!

I hunt in Wayne National Forest in Ohio pretty much every year for the last 30 years. We used to complain about the great amount of hunters there but they kept the deer moving all day. Not many hunters in there these days. I killed the biggest buck I ever killed in there. I have seen a lot of nice deer come out of there. its big timber hunting and pretty hilly. Lot of access roads but walk in from where you park. Of course walk in means drag out. Not traditional to cut up your deer and haul it out on your back but if I was way back in I might give it a go.

Coming from an Ohio resident, AEP has a ton of potential. You’ll see lots of bad reviews and on it but most of them are hunting the outside. If you put the time in on that ground there are monsters to be killed, but don’t expect it to be easy.

Hamweena

FNG
I hunt south central Ohio public. We've done good over the years. If it's an easy to hunt are you'll probably see some other trucks in the area. We usually hunt thickets or cuts on some type of transition line. Walking in a little deeper definetly helps. here are some of our DIY bowhunt kills.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1572812714425-COLLAGE.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572812714425-COLLAGE.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20221102_143841696.PORTRAIT-COLLAGE.jpg
    PXL_20221102_143841696.PORTRAIT-COLLAGE.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 18