Public Land NE Oklahoma

Jmeicke

FNG
I've spent my life hunting desert whitetail in AZ despite living in NE Oklahoma. I'd like to get out and do some OK deer hunting next year but I don't even know where to start. My friends here are all kind of city slickers who have never hunted. Anyone know of good public land surrounding the Tulsa area? Any info would be great, I'm expecting that there will be quite a bit of hunt pressure in most of the public land around here and that's ok.

Okie_3

FNG
The department of wildlife website has great information on where to hunt. Can even narrow it down to "NE Oklahoma". My experience hunting public in Oklahoma is just go. You'll learn way more by boots on the ground than you will on here. I try to hunt weekdays best I can. Hunting pressure is a little more bearable then.

Spavinaw, Copan, Hulah all have deer and offer a good mix of terrain. Like Okie_3 said, I think the best way success comes on public ground is from spending a lot of time there. Find a WMA you like and spend a couple seasons getting to learn it and you can have some great hunting.

Let me know what you got took my twins to Texas and one scored a 3yr old forkie the other didn’t fair well. Would like to take her during Holiday season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
Pretty sure there's some good public areas near manford. Kaw has good deer, as does the coe land on the south end. From what I've been told, there's significantly less pressure during bow season, but that seems to be true most places.
Keystone wma has deer and turkeys- maybe the closest to you.
The odwc puts out a public land atlas that will help you out

Lane579

FNG
Is this all stand or blind hunting you guys are referring to? I recently moved to OK from NM and I’d like to get into hunting whitetail locally but it’s just not what I’m used to in NM and southern CO. Also looking to get into bow hunting.

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Is this all stand or blind hunting you guys are referring to? I recently moved to OK from NM and I’d like to get into hunting whitetail locally but it’s just not what I’m used to in NM and southern CO. Also looking to get into bow hunting.

Look up “The Hunting Public” on YouTube. Regular guys that show you how anyone can have success on public land. Definitely don’t need a stand or blind, although it is an advantage in certain situations.

I’ve killed one deer from the ground with a bow and have had several other close encounters the last couple seasons. The rush is unreal when it does happen.

Fordguy

WKR
How I hunt depends on location/terrain/cover. There are a lot of variables and more than one way to be successful.
As previously mentioned THP has several OK videos on youtube that you might want to watch.

Fort Gibson WMA is technically NE OK and is well regarded during archery season. Regarded as "enter at your own risk" during rifle season.

I didn’t see it mentioned in the replies to the OP, but Oklahoma now has a program called OLAP (Oklahoma Land Access Program) where the state leases land and puts it up as “public land”. I don’t think you’ll find it by looking at the WMA list.
There appears to be one tract north of Tulsa.
OLAP

My youngest son has been to a couple OLAP places out west and has seen deer every place he’s gone.

1moredeer

FNG
Check out public hunting around Keystone and Skiatook lakes. If you have a boat, there are several places that are accessible by boat only and have less pressure than others.