Public land Nebraska buck.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
This trip started out as a surprise birthday gift to a good friend of mine named Jacob from his fiancé. She came up with the idea and a few of us friends put it together. Rifle season public land Nebraska was the plan.

Jacob, My Dad Jim, Josh, Rhett and myself head out Thursday night before the opener to get camp set up, get a day scouting, and just get a feel for the. We saw a good mule deer buck, and put eyes on a ton of country.

Day 1 of the hunt we saw a decent buck in the evening but not something by buddy wanted to put his tag on. We glassed up a few other deer that were just to far off.

Day 2 We glassed up a good 8 point whitetail at first light.Decided to make a play on him, but we ended up bumping the does he was with. We peeked over the ridge and glassed up a solid 165ish whitetail buck bedded 400yds on private. We thought maybe he would work his way back to timber (public) eventually. We sat on that buck for 7 hours until he moved farther on private. We decided to pop back over the ridge to see if we could turn up anything else. I glassed up a good muley buck moving away from us at 375 my buddy Jacob said he was going to try and take him. The deer dropped out of sight then came back up at 505yds where he made a perfect heart shot. Notching his tag on a buck that got him excited was my number one goal for this hunt.

Day 3 I was the only one in the group willing to shoot a whitetail. Everyone else in the group was only after muley bucks. So I decided to head back in to where the big whitetail was the day before. At first light we glassed up a solid 8 point about a mile away with a few does. We decided to start making a plan to get over and get a shot. That’s when the rodeo began. A small muley buck came running in from behind us to the left. I quickly got on the gun just in case something else came in. I get the small buck in the scope and tell Jacob and my dad “small buck”. I come up off the gun and see something to my left directly behind my dad. I turn and see it’s a good buck and tell my dad “slide back dad so I can get on him”. My dad moves out of the way. Jacob had already started to range the deer so I ask him “what’s he at”. Jacob says “273 aim 4 inches high”. I bring the cross hairs up to the top of his shoulder, (at this point I think I see a drop tine), deep breathe, and squeeze the trigger. He hunches up like he is hit hard and runs back behind the hill. I come up off the gun and look at Dad and Jacob. They both look at me and say “droptine!!”. This whole thing happened in 15 seconds so I had no time to really get a grasp on it all. I’d always dreamed of a droptine buck and this was it. We wait 30 minutes or so before we began the search. Jacob pops over the hill and gets eyes on him first and calls me over to where dad and him are waiting. He had only ran 15 yds before he expired. A beautiful public land 12 point with a dropper! It meant the world to me to have my old man and great friend beside me to share the hunt!

We ended up filling 3 out of 4 tags on the trip dad was there just for fun. Two mule deer and one whitetail.

Nebraska was a hunt to remember!

d5fdee9b90aa5be38776ab613b2606dc.plist

4c75e33ef5420f631e1cd6d87fb1b4ca.mov

e05b2bd4bee57f4872a29d66bc81c5fa.plist

8702dffc32316ecbe82a78f75a272b46.mov

Last edited:

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Deer aren't easy to come by out there! Congrats! That's one of the most unique whitetails I have seen out of that region on public.

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Yes deer are harder to get on out there but we found if we put in more effort to cover ground we ended up seeing more deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Nice job! With the amount of pressure on public during rifle, that is a feat! I assume you were in NW Nebraska?