Public land stands

What is your guys philosophy on how to treat a hang on stand on public land? I have a spot that I have hunted for years, pretty decent walk in, I always use a climber. Last year somebody put a hang-on stand right next to the tree I always set up in and left it there (legal in my state) Is it rude of me to set up in the tree right next to his stand? I feel bad for a guy that walks in 40 minutes without a stand because he has one in there and then finds me sitting within spitting distance of it. However, I don’t know that I am ready to surrender that spot completely. How would you handle this situation? How would you react if it was your hang-on?

fatlander

WKR
If the other guy is a cautious hunter, you should run into each other because you’ll be hunting the same wind. If you never run into each other your lack of deer sightings will dictate your move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In MO, you’re supposed to put contact info on your stand on state owned lands. Not certain on federal lands. If his number is there, call and work it out or leave your number with a note on his stand.

PMcGee

WKR
I had a guy I know do the same thing. He knew I hunted there and then was pissed off when I was in there one morning before him. I hunted the area for years before he put the stand there and I told him that. I just stopped hunting the area because he over hunted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
F
I like this idea, I think in PA you are supposed to have contact info but I have never seen anyone actually do it. I never worried about it because I like the flexibility of carrying one in. I might leave mine and see if he calls. Maybe we can coordinate nicely.

I'd hunt right next to it. Your schedule may be totally different from his and you may never cross paths. What if he tags out and decides to leave the stand in till the end of the season? Why should you give up the spot because he's too lazy to carry in and out.

Finch

WKR
Would your stand be close enough to his stand that he'd think you're actually hunting in his stand (if it's dark when he approaches)? Just something to think about to avoid a potential conflict. People are crazy these days.

I agree. Leaving a stand doesn’t make that their spot. If I showed up and someone was in it, I would move on. I don’t hunt stands a lot on public but I tend to like hang ons for that reason. Even a few cheap climbing sticks left on the tree and used with a climber I haul in and out let people know you are active in the area.

TS604

FNG
I’d try to contact him, might be able to work it out. If you find out he is a jerk, move on. It’s not worth getting into a fight over.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Leaving a stand does not reserve the spot, but something to consider,

How would you feel if you set up your stand and then someone set up theirs right beside you? They don't know your years of history, so that is the same situation. Would you be pissed?

If a stand does not reserve the spot, then consider that going both ways. Public land - first come first served

I'd consider leaving a note to work it out.

If you're packing your stand in, set up for the day, then leave with it, and the guy doesn't show up, then maybe that's a little better.

I don't like the idea of not carrying in and out being considered lazy. I hang stands on public and leave them on occasion. It is quieter and easier if you have to walk any distance. Contact info is not legally required in PA but you do need an ID number so the game commission can identify.

Public land is public so you can hunt where you want. I wouldn't set up next to him if he is there but you can't know without walking in and once there if his stand is empty I would hunt. If he comes after you then he can figure it out.

In my experience once you find a great spot and someone else discovers it mature buck opportunities decrease. I have had deer use the same trail for weeks at almost the same time of day then when more than one person or even just myself gets greedy they all of a sudden find a new trail 60 or so yards downwind.

I have tried to use that to my advantage as well when I knew someone started hitting the same ridge line or swamp edge.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m generally not going to be hunting a specific spot on public anymore if it starts seeing pressure from other hunters. But moving a few hundred yards away could make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tntrker

WKR
Hunt your spot if you get there before him. Public land is like that. I had the same thing happen to me after I cleared some shooting lanes. I was just there WAY before anyone else. they would turn back, like I would have, when they were approaching me and I shined a light towards them. Hope he'll respect your space and turn back and not hunt right besides you at the same time. Some people are dushes you know...

I’d hunt the area. You never know how or why he hung it there. I have purposefully placed hang on’s in areas to keep people out (like a decoy) and used my climber further in those areas.

I have also hunted those stands but found my climber is just too comfortable to not use. I’ve recently taken those stands down and will be exclusively using a saddle set up.

I would imagine you’d see the guys truck at some point if you’re both accessing the area from the same place.

*zap*

WKR
There is a guy around my way that will have more than a dozen stands out all season, not a big area either. I know of when he had 5-6 within a 3/4 mile square area. Some of the set ups have been there for years.
I have run into him a few times and we talked for a bit so I am not speculating about that info.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, you get there, he aint in stand, hunt away. If he is, move on.

As of last year, if you leave a stand on public land, anyone who finds it can hunt in it. That solves a lot of crap. Personally, i aint a fan of it being legal to leave stands out on public. Causes too much baloney.

I'd probably move on. Chances that the conversation goes well are not good, it's probably not worth the drama imo. I could be dead wrong, but my experience with most guys I've met on public have not been good.