Public Land Survey Sections (PLS Section) Question??

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
I searched and couldn’t find anything on this…
Can anyone provide a clear explanation on the PLSSection boundaries listed on county GIS maps? I had to educate myself on exactly what PLSSections were but couldn’t find anything regarding access or hunting. This is specifically in Colorado.

OnX doesn’t show these boundaries or list any of the areas as private. County Assesors GIS maps don’t show any parcel info on the areas either. Any help would be appreciated…

The PLSS grid system is way to organize and catolog land. Section lines themselves have nothing to do with ownership; however, quite often property lines will fall on section lines (or quarter or 1/16th). Each section is 1 square mile and there are 36 sections in a township.

Take a look at the “checkerboard” along the I-80 corridor in WY. Those parcels are sectionalized land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
The PLSS grid system is way to organize and catolog land. Section lines themselves have nothing to do with ownership; however, quite often property lines will fall on section lines (or quarter or 1/16th). Each section is 1 square mile and there are 36 sections in a township.

Take a look at the “checkerboard” along the I-80 corridor in WY. Those parcels are sectionalized land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! So as long as there is no private property boundaries or deeded parcels on record in that area then it should OK to hunt so long as it has a public access and you don’t have to cross private to get to it…

It most likely varies from state to state but I know Alaska has section line easements dedicated to the public for access that are difficult to have vacated for people trying to restrict access. What you need to determine is owndership of the land(most areas seem to have some sort of arcGIS map where you can find property and land owners, some even link to the title info and plats), followed by whether there is an easement of some sort dedicated to the public to access anything public behind it, if it is privately owned.

OP
M

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Alasquatch…The area I am currently looking at on the County arcGIS map has no listed property owner on record but does have the PLS section lines with no private property listed any where near there. Which brings up another question…why would there clearly be a house or residence on satellite imagery but not listed as deeded parcel on the County Map? Some of these have been established for some time and I’ve seen this several times over the years…

Thanks Alasquatch…The area I am currently looking at on the County arcGIS map has no listed property owner on record but does have the PLS section lines with no private property listed any where near there. Which brings up another question…why would there clearly be a house or residence on satellite imagery but not listed as deeded parcel on the County Map? Some of these have been established for some time and I’ve seen this several times over the years…
Depending on who owned the land originally it can take a substantial amount of time for the property to finish changing hands, then be deeded and finally put on GIS, some areas up here are years behind on updating their maps, which usually comes down to the county, borough or whoever is running it not having a large enough budget to employ enough folks to keep everything up to date. I know some areas up here that are DNR-TLO land that has been under contract for 10 years since the initial sale but apparently hasn't finished everything needed so GIS still claims it's owned by DNR but technically is under contract and folks already built houses on the land. It's hard saying not knowing the local in's and out's of where you are looking

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
The PLSS is a system used to describe land. It doesnt necessarily mean its public. Not to say some county doesnt have ownerships on their GIS system but ive never seen one that doesnt.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
So be careful assuming such. Alasquatch is right about some municipalities being way behind but generally the old owner is still listed.

mmw194287

WKR
Using a plss grid to determine ownership is like using longitude/latitude or watershed to do the same. It has nothing to do with ownership--it's simply a way to make a systematic description of the landscape.