Public land turkey hunt

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! Trying to plan a turkey hunt for this spring. Would like to kno all your experiences and states you’d go back to again or not. We were in VA last year and the amount of people was brutal. Thinking Ohio this year but would like to hear from others. Open to options, but would prefer DIY on public. Is Ohio worth it? Is there any better states fairly close to PA? Will there be an army of hunters doing the same thing I planned on? Any input helps. Thanks!

Shupe88

WKR
Yeah I wouldn’t do Virginia again! Crowded!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I wouldn’t do Virginia again! Crowded!

Where on earth were you at in Virginia that the amount of people was brutal? I hardly ever see people turkey hunting
We hunted off of 60 not far from Cumberland. We heard 10 different birds the day before the season. Opening day there was a vehicle parked every 100 yards haha. I guess we were in the wrong spot lol? It sounds like. We drove around that general area and most everywhere looked like that. Any help is appreciated 😉

Shupe88

WKR
We hunted off of 60 not far from Cumberland. We heard 10 different birds the day before the season. Opening day there was a vehicle parked every 100 yards haha. I guess we were in the wrong spot lol? It sounds like. We drove around that general area and most everywhere looked like that. Any help is appreciated

South west part of the state.

FLS

WKR
On any public land, unless it’s a limited entry draw hunt, I’ll skip the opener and hunt mid week. Most will have given up in a few days. Let all the runners and gunners get it out of their system.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen absurd turkey hunting pressure in areas of OH, WV, or VA. I have also seen areas of very absurd pressure in each. I think specific areas trump a state overall, every time. I'd pick a state based on price and terrain you want to hunt, and go!

Pa is a large state. Get two spring gobbler tags and makes some small trips to different locations around the state.

I think you will have a better experience with that then going to a surrounding state honestly.

kloppy

FNG
Pa is a large state. Get two spring gobbler tags and makes some small trips to different locations around the state.

I think you will have a better experience with that then going to a surrounding state honestly.

Agree - it would take several lifetimes to explore all of PA's public land. Pressure really drops off after the first week or two. This seems to be the case everywhere I have turkey hunted.

Laramie

WKR
Wyoming is a unique turkey hunt if you are looking for a different way to hunt them.

You were in a very good spot. That’s a big piece of land I’d bet most of those hunters never made it more than couple hundred yards from the truck. You have to be willing to burn boot rubber hunting that place. I remember one morning hunting a bird there, I heard 3 different trucks pull off road and call from the truck. The bird would go silent soon as you could hear the truck, when they drove off he’d go back to gobbling. I moved on him three times and took 2.5 hrs but I finally killed him.