Public land vs private

OP
T

tbarile

FNG
The private land elk also didn’t respond to calling and I was hunting 9/18-9/25 which should have been the peak of the rut. Is that typical?

Like I mentioned before when you’re in private it’s not about the rut. You might as well have been on public because you were calling to pressured elk. It’s about hunting there before anyone else. Yes it’s typical for elk that have been hunted not to respond to calling. They might do what public land elk do and head the other way. Elk are elk once they know there’s hunting going on.

If you are serious about that New Mexico hunt you better list your questions and get them answered. How big is the property? What percent is cover that actually holds elk? And of course.... will there be anyone there before me? Talk to the first, second, and third week hunters from last year and see how their hunts were different. There are definitely ranches out there big enough and with the right ingredients to not have to be the first one there. But less than half fit that description.

When I hunted private land it was just me and one partner. Nobody had hunted it before us. As a matter of fact we were the first ones ever to hunt that ranch. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been interested.

The reason people hunt private is so there are elk to hunt. Elk that are more relaxed than easily accessible public land elk. Private land elk are certainly easy to get on. So you need to make sure they haven’t been hunted to the point of developing the same attitude as public land elk. Otherwise why pay to hunt them?

Once you feel like you’re ready go back and read the PM I sent you. I can definitely help you find an undisturbed place to call home with bulls in the 270-320 class to hunt on your terms. General license areas. No grizzlies.

OP
T

tbarile

FNG
When I hunted private land it was just me and one partner. Nobody had hunted it before us. As a matter of fact we were the first ones ever to hunt that ranch. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been interested.

The reason people hunt private is so there are elk to hunt. Elk that are more relaxed than easily accessible public land elk. Private land elk are certainly easy to get on. So you need to make sure they haven’t been hunted to the point of developing the same attitude as public land elk. Otherwise why pay to hunt them?

Once you feel like you’re ready go back and read the PM I sent you. I can definitely help you find an undisturbed place to call home with bulls in the 270-320 class to hunt on your terms. General license areas. No grizzlies.

Thanks for the helpful insight. Btw, I don’t have a pm from you.

WCB

WKR
Budget is 7k but my original question is what I experienced the normal private land experience...chasing the same herd back and forth on the property or was this an isolated experience due to the amount of cover for the elk.
For $7000 you should be able to go on a quality guided hunt. If you are paying $7000 for access only it damn well better be more than 5 days and better be a sizable piece with little pressure and bunch of elk.

Wapiti1

WKR
The land you hunted had some resident elk, and those were all that you targeted. So, for that hunt, that is normal. That isn't how it is on other private hunts, just how that outfitter did it. You have a sampling of one. My experiences going guided on private land have been different.

So, your answer is to ask more and different questions next time. Part two is to figure out what you think you need to learn and seek outfitters that can help with that.

My guess is the hunt you want is more dependent on hooking up with the right outfitter and guide than on the type of land.

I think some of the advice given is misleading. It isn't that cut and dried. One of the best hunts I have done was on 2000 acres of private in CO. But that 2000 land locks a couple hundred thousand BLM acres that they were permitted to hunt. It's about setup, access, and how that outfitter likes to hunt. Some cater to rifle hunters and offer archery as a kind of side show. Others live for archery and just pay the bills with the rifle hunts.

Just my 2 cents. If you are near Crawfordsville, shoot me a PM and we can get a beer sometime.

Jeremy