Public land WY unit 50 antelope hunt. Is it doable?

jwatts

WKR
A few of us are in the final stages of planning our hunt out west for 2015. We are exploring options for a 2 species antelope/mulie hunt. We are looking at hunting either 78 or 79 for mulies in Medicine Bow NF. We were looking at applying for both antelope and mulie tags. If we do that and are successful we planned to get there a few days prior to mulie rifle season opening and hunt antelope for a few days. My question is, with the limited access to public land in 50, and having a lot of that being in hilly terrain in Medicine Bow, is a public land antelope hunt feasible? We have other options we are exploring as well but this one seems to be the one we are leaning more toward. I am not looking for any specifics, just whether or not we would be wasting our time trying to pull off both species in one area with limited public access.

HJW

FNG
PM me. I've been in that area quite a bit and can give you a few leads on where to look.

dmjojump

FNG
I have hunted 50 a couple times. Get a good map and you should be able to get on some goats. For the deer, the numbers are down. I am from that area and I have had family and friends say it keeps getting harder to find good bucks. I still have seen some nice ones come out of there. The last time I was down there elk hunting (2013) I did see some good bucks in area 79, but not the numbers 10 years ago. Dont want to discourage anyone from going to that area, I believe there are some trophies down there.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
We talked to some folks with the WY game and fish department. They basically said what you did. The deer numbers around there are way down. We are looking at other options now and may go for just antelope instead of trying to do both species.