Public Trust video

One of the appalling things is how the politically conservative side is always labelled as the bad guys. We hunt, fish & believe in conservation & freedom. I personally think there should be more public land. How bout we take the $$ planned parenthood gets & use it to acquire more of it?
I know Patagonia is a bunch of left wingers but it would be more effective to leave out all the Trump & Republican bashing. Once I hear that and the whole man made global warming hoax BS I just roll my eyes & turn it off.

MT257

WKR
Really makes a guy think about the shit that is going on in Washington we don’t hear about. There are things in that film that one should hold near and dear to them. I sure hope my children will be able to experience things I have in life. Because if all of it is sold off to those top 1%ers you can kiss public hunting good by. As far as the mining incident in there, it’s bull shit that the company could declare bankruptcy and not be held accountable. Local tax payers shouldn’t be on the hook for that. I thought it was well put together. I understand that Patagonia is very liberal but doing what trump did with nominations and who they were all connected too

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I thought it was a pretty well put together video I think it shows politicians being politicians no matter if You vote red or blue we're the ones that get screwed into paying to put ourselves on our own knees maybe it will get some more folks involved in their communities and turn up at the poles next midterm instead of just every four years to vote for their favorite team.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
There was a thread about this already. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/public-trust-documentary.188386/

Personally I thought it was a good film. The Alaskan public has decided the communist wealth redistribution scheme (PFD) is worth any cost, even risking (no crystal ball, so hopefully no damage is done) the destruction of the Bristol Bay fishery, the 1002 calving grounds, and the SE AK fisheries. The fisheries are already performing poorly, so personally I don't like the added risk.

I feel like share holders and corporations should have to put the potential cost of cleanup in escrow before such projects are allowed to proceed. Once everything is wound down properly they can get the money back. That or have an insurance policy for the duration of operations. I can't drive without insurance, so there is precedent for the state to require insurance to engage in certain activities that pose a potential risk to the public. Any attempt to change that in this state would see a flood of corporate money. Ballot Measure 1 demonstrated that, the campaign for it was funded with slightly more that $1.5 million (1.2 million was contributed by one person from Alaska). The oil companies spent over $20.8 million to defeat it. $15.1 million of that was from none-Alaskan oil companies ($19.4 million in total came from oil companies). Note, I'm not evaluating the Ballot Measure, only the political dynamics. So, in the current climate there is little chance of hunters and outdoor professionals/recreationist having a significant say in things if it does not go along with corporate interests. If Pebble Mine does get approved (and there is reason to think it will), it will be a very strong confirmation of this dynamic as a good portion of the public is against it (or at least it appears that way from casual observation).

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks like the Army Corps of Engineers just denied the permit for Pebble Mine. Of course it will now go to court, but it is a promising development.

I think this thread should get a little more attention. Found out about it through a podcast. Everyone should watch this documentary and while you are at it listen to Randy NewBerg's HuntTalk Podcast from December 20, 2020

Randy really gets fired up on that podcast as must of us should. He takes the D and the R out of the equation. Hal Herrington who was the guy in a lot of that film is on that podcast and they discuss the politics of it all for nearly 3 hrs. It's worth the listen guys it really is.

Last edited: