Public vs private land for first archery elk hunt

Trrads

FNG
Hi there, new to the forum

I am doing some research to help me decide whether to do a guided public land or private land archery elk hunt In Colorado. I’m from the northeast, have been whitetail hunting for about 6 years, and 2 years ago had my one and only foray for elk by undertaking a DIY 2nd season OTC hunt with my uncle. To summarize that hunt, it made me realize I need some serious professional help.

I’m really looking for a deep wilderness experience with a guide to help me on the steep beginning of the learning curve. Of course I’d love to get an elk but my primary goal is to learn so I can strike out on my own better prepared in the future. My biggest competing concerns with this dilemma is: will choosing a public land hunt significantly reduce my opportunity to get adequate exposure to elk activity vs would choosing a private land hunt just result in me hunting for an elk that is figuratively chained to a fence for me to just walk up to and shoot without gaining any real world elk hunting experience. Would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

AGPank

WKR
Unless it’s high fence there is no easy elk archery hunt. You are trying to get under 40 yards from an animal with great senses. Find a guide who can call to bring them in and is experienced with archery hunters vs rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking to get started with the learning curve then get started in public land. Otherwise what you’ll learn is that elk know which side of a fence to be on. Go learn how to find elk in the mountains. It’s an investment in free hunting in the future.

If it's a guided hunt, your outfitter can answer those questions. Your research should be checking reputations of different outfitters so you aren't throwing money away ;)

Jimss

WKR
The learning curve is even steeper on heavily hunted public land in Colo's OTC units! Be prepared to see and hear (bugling) lots of hunters! You'll likely have company even if an outfitter packs you into a wilderness area. If at all possible I would recommend private land...especially if hunting OTC units in Colo!

As Trophyhill mentioned above....I would definitely contact outfitters you are interested In. Get a list of ALL of the archery hunters he's had the past 5 years (both successful and not) and start calling. The more time you put into research....the better chance for success.

With that said, if I had the $ I would hands down do a guided NMex hunt over Colo OTC. NMex offers landowner tags that you can buy directly from outfitters. There are a lot more options for bigger bulls with a lot less hunting pressure vs Colo...especially if hunting public land.

As mentioned above, elk are extremely tough to harvest with bow on both private and public land!

I would start public. Reason being dealing with pressure and learning how far off the road to get is a skill just like calling, stalking, spotting. You’ll get a lot more glassing time on public too :)

Do you already know the gutless method for packing out? Same as on a deer it’s just a much bigger animal (much bigger). If you don’t, Private is nice since you’ll likely shoot one and get to learn that skill too.

But I’d shoot for public. Elk hunting isn’t easy, quartering isn’t easy, packing out isn’t easy. Public will get you that “not easy” experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beginner

FNG
Hunted for elk twice on public land in Western Washington for Roosevelt Elk, did not see a lot of hunters but a guide would have been a tremendous help. Private land would also increase your odds of being successful.

If you are looking to get started with the learning curve then get started in public land. Otherwise what you’ll learn is that elk know which side of a fence to be on. Go learn how to find elk in the mountains. It’s an investment in free hunting in the future.
Funny how elk can sense where those border lines start and begin.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
.. would choosing a private land hunt just result in me hunting for an elk that is figuratively chained to a fence for me to just walk up to and shoot without gaining any real world elk hunting experience.

I think this narrative is as mythical, ignorant, and false, as the idea non-hunters have that "trophy hunters" cut off the heads/racks of animals and leave the rest to rot.

Private land means exclusivity from other hunters and outfitters. The elk will still be elk and have all their senses.

If'n you were willing to hire a guide, I'd do it in WY with a general tag, or easy to draw type-9 in a wilderness, before I'd consider CO OTC.