Puffy Boot Cover?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
To be clear, I only want to "walk" far enough to take a piss away from my tent. 30ft? The traction I need is just for that, and standing next to my camp stove while I boil water. I've wiped out using both crocs and down booties, because the soles are so slick.
As for waterproof, I think I really just mean the fabric. Leaks through seams might be fine, since I wouldn't be standing in water. When I use thick socks in crocs, the snow just melts on them....same with un-coated nylon down booties. They're meant for hut/tipi use, just stand in powder snow and the fabric soaks through.
I'd be wearing these for 1-2 hours per evening. My first goal is to get my main boots OFF after chasing goats all day.
Maybe the insulation could come from a thick rag wool sock and a foot warmer packet?

anyway, thanks for humoring me, I know I'm diverging far from the main thing you're talking about here....I hope it's not frustrating for you.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would love to make them so you could walk 30 feet or 30 yards. That would be part of the goal. What you want would be similar to what I am designing, just your stocking feet inside instead of boots.

And, I don't mind thinking out loud on projects. Helps the creative juices.

personally no sole would be better, especially when your boots are covered in mud or snow. I am thinking the insides would get pretty nasty, with melted snow and mud. But i am in north idaho where it is a very wet climate.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
personally no sole would be better, especially when your boots are covered in mud or snow. I am thinking the insides would get pretty nasty, with melted snow and mud. But i am in north idaho where it is a very wet climate.
You are right, It will get messy. I have tossed that problem around in my mind as well. Sole or not, I am going to put in a Dyneema waterproof and highly abrasion resistant laminated fabric on the inside. I think a boot with laces and all will slide in and out easier than if I used silpoly or some other ripstop.

xturns06x

FNG
OR discontinued the brooks overboot I wish they hadn't. A lot of whitetail hunters (saddle) or mobile otherwise are looking for something like this that's lightweight and packable. Don't want to hike miles in rubber boots or sweaty feet hiking around but don't want frozen feet once we find a good spot to post up. Great idea! Keep it simple, light (otherwise you will lose market share to Arctic) and easy to get on and off. I don't think its something I'd walk around in. More like something I put on while glassing or sitting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wrote about this a couple of years ago; I was looking for something to slip over my boots while glassing- it's always been my feet that forced me to move.

Definitely Apex insulation, probably in the 5-ish range. They need to be cut oversized, a little space between the bootie and the boot worn won't hurt a thing. Zipped back (or even velcro, might be lighter????? and easier) like you have- easy on/easy off.

A closed cell foam insole (a lot of the cold comes from the ground). I think any of the mid-weight Cordura would be tough enough to walk short distances, no need to complicate it (or add weight) for soles of any kind.

No need for any straps imo. Just something with decent insulation to easily slip over your hunting boots.

I think you could probably get them in the 6-8 oz range for the pair.