Puffy Comparison: Tear It Up!

OP
Jaden Bales
So I ended up going with the First Lite Chamberlain for three reasons:

1. Ultimate Warmth Factor
2. Blend of Synthetic/Down
3. Decent outer shell durability

It is definitely not the lightest puffy on the market (not what it was built for) and a guy really should use a stuff sack if you are tight on space in your pack. The thing is big. But after a handful of chilly glassing sessions in the Wyoming wind, I'm glad I have it.

Montbell makes a variety of puffy options that are very high quality. They are high on my list when it comes to bang/buck ratio.

As far as synthetic options go, I was planning on trying the Patagonia HyperPuff, but they appear to have discontinued it? It was getting very good reviews.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty interesting thread. If you'd like to add another synthetic to the list, consider the Nunatak USA Skaha and PCT jackets. Jackets very similar to the LPP, but with ultralight type fabrics instead of the cordura. Same insulation even, but in various weight options.

They're currently at the top of the list for my next puffy.

I'm in the same boat. I really wanted to like the LPP but it just didnt fit me right. With Nunatak, you can have unlimited customization in a similar jacket.

Benjblt

WKR
Had some great feedback from a boot spreadsheet I posted, so here's another one I did for puffy jackets.
View attachment 95422

Now we aren't talking light puffy jackets like the Kelvin Active Light or Unpronounceable.

This is a comparison of freeze-your-butt-off cold weather puffy jackets you can use from a glassing point when it's 5 degrees out and -15 degree wind chill. In which case, I wouldn't blame you for adding a snow/rain shell over the top.

Tear it up! What do you think? Did I miss any?
My opinion is you need to add face fabric description, including denier (points to durability) and fill oz (points to warmth) for the ultimate comparison. Good list though. I own the Cerium LT and it fits a good sweet spot. Also, the new FL Brooks hits a good sweet spot with added durability of the face fabric at 30d.

Adding whether or not the down is treated would help when comparing the down jackets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Jaden Bales
My opinion is you need to add face fabric description, including denier (points to durability) and fill oz (points to warmth) for the ultimate comparison. Good list though. I own the Cerium LT and it fits a good sweet spot. Also, the new FL Brooks hits a good sweet spot with added durability of the face fabric at 30d.

Adding whether or not the down is treated would help when comparing the down jackets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Check out the second photo I posted of the revised spreadsheet.

I covered some of these things you’re looking for on rd 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just running the old Costco special. Not the warmest or lightest but adequate in both areas. Also, I got it on sale for $15 so I can abuse it with no worries

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I also run a Sitka down vest from time to time as well as a Kuiu Kenai.......still like the Costco puffy though

mcseal2

WKR
Anyone have a Chamberlain in wet weather? I see it's a down blend but I think I heard it was not waterproof down. I'm thinking of getting a down puffy for some hunts. I have a Kuiu Kenai and a Kifaru LPP in synthetic already. Just curious if the Chamberlain would be ok for wetter places like AK or if I should think about another option. Thanks.

Also some guys were talking about layering puffy's earlier. The best luck I've had layering puffys is running the LPP over a Uncompaghre vest FWIW.

OP
Jaden Bales
Anyone have a Chamberlain in wet weather? I see it's a down blend but I think I heard it was not waterproof down. I'm thinking of getting a down puffy for some hunts. I have a Kuiu Kenai and a Kifaru LPP in synthetic already. Just curious if the Chamberlain would be ok for wetter places like AK or if I should think about another option. Thanks.

Also some guys were talking about layering puffy's earlier. The best luck I've had layering puffys is running the LPP over a Uncompaghre vest FWIW.
Man, I opted not to take it this morning on my scouting mission in 32-38 degree sopping wet snow for two reasons. 1. I didn't want to chance it getting THAT wet and clumpy. 2. It was too warm outside to be comfortable in it moving from glassing spot to glassing spot and I didn't want to manage layers that often. I just hate taking off a puffy midlayer, rain shell, and bino harness to remove the puffy before walking only to put it on again a quarter mile down the ridge.

Something to consider with the Chamberlain is that it really shines when it's so cold that it's not really wet outside. Your LPP probably is a better piece for wet weather, but the Chamberlain kicks a$$ when it's subzero.

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah I think that might be right. I'm trying to decide if I should even buy a down puffy or just stick with my current set-up. My coldest hunts are December whitetail hunts in Kansas most times. I load up my Exo with warm stuff and walk in dressed light. I usually only have a half mile or so walk. Then it's on with the Uncompaghre vest, LPP, Kuiu Superdown Pro pants, and I throw a HPG mountain serape over the top of it all. It's a lot but I'm usually hunting from a chair tucked into a thicket with some elevation. I put that on right before I break the last bit of cover to conceal me getting it all on. I sit places where I'm looking into areas out of the wind but in it myself. It gets cold without a blind to break wind or conceal movement. I am more effective when I'm comfortable, I stay focused better and move less. It's often pretty humid and feels colder than the temp says it is.

2020 I'll be hunting caribou on the North Slope and it could be pretty cold and wet. Maybe I should just adjust the weight elsewhere and pack the synthetic stuff. On our moose hunt last year I had the LPP on over a Aerowool base, Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody, and under a FL SEAK rain jacket a lot of the time. I was also wearing Simms G3 chest waders that offer some warmth to the upper body. It was just barely enough for comfort with the wet weather in temps where I could see my breath while sitting and calling for hours. Later in the hunt it got to warm and I had plenty. I wished for just a little more, like the FL vest layered with what I had during the colder times.

I read on a thread here that the LPP has one layer of the insulation that the 20 degree Slickbag has. The 20 degree bag uses the same insulation but has 2 layers instead of one was what it said.

I'm in the same boat. I really wanted to like the LPP but it just didnt fit me right. With Nunatak, you can have unlimited customization in a similar jacket.

PCT and Skaha are the cats ass for lightweight warmth with weather resistance.

Stoney920

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a browning hells canyon speed shrike puffy and it was ok, but ended up buying a first lite uncompaghre and like it way better!

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
How do the FL Chamberlin, Sitka kelvin ws down hoody and just the Sitka kelvin hoody? And what’re the perks between WS down and regular kelvin hoody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: