Puffy Comparison

JeremiahH

WKR
FWIW my aquillo is warmer than the uncompahgre I had. I like it a lot but the aquillo was warmer and packs way smaller. Aquillo is replaced by something else now. Cant remember the name but looks pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Form,

Where would you rate the ECWS parka as far as temp's?

*zap*

WKR
The uncomphagre is so thin compared to other 'similar' jackets/parkas that it is really not very similar. I look at mine as a good 'if needed' extra underlayer that packs fairly small and light for colder temps. For an outer I can pair it with a uncomphagre vest over it to extend its working temp. Cannot really compare it to the kelvin ws because they are really very different but if you have things sized right it is awesome under the kelvin ws…..it is also a better extend the sleep system for a colder night jacket than many other 'puffys' because it is so thin and the hood is so comfortable.

IMO, the level 7 military polortec and similar brand jacket/pants are warm if you moving around but not the best for sitting. I think they lack windstopper which works to keep body heat retained when your stationary but they are definitely worth owning. If anyone gets some remember to size down a size.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form,

Where would you rate the ECWS parka as far as temp's?

When brand new, the current ECWS Level 7 parka is around a 25-30 degree jacket. The problem is they lose loft fast. All synthetics lose loft much faster than most realize, but the ECWS is relatively old tech, and around 6 weeks of use they’ll be 50%’ish of loft as when new. My first Kifaru LPP lost 30-40% of its loft from about 3 months of wear time.

That’s what most don’t factor in when looking at insulation. Synthetic is great for durability, longevity is garbage in comparison to quality down. I use synthetics now as specialty items that are single season (3mo) use. They still work after that, but warmth (loft) is noticeably less.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks man, I've never heard anyone mention that before. I need to save up for a Chamberlin.

Hows the warmth compare between the brooks and uncompaghre?

I have not used the brooks, but I have had 3 uncompahagres jackets and everytime they let me down in the "Warmth" department. I would say if you are glassing sitting stationary after an hour you will start to get chilled below 42 degrees. If doing some light walking, yes this will keep you warm down into the low 30's, but I would not use this for stationary sitting or glassing below 45 degrees. That is my threshold with this jacket.

That’s a tough one. For me they’re just two different animals. Warmth edge might go to the Unpronounceable. If youre going to wear it active at all, the Un would be my choice. Early season mountain hunting, the Brooks gets the nod. To “stay warm“, I really like down. The Uncompagre just isn’t a “warm” jacket for me. Mileage may vary...I have a feeling those that call it “warm”, haven’t tried a ton of puffy jackets. No way can I wear the Un at 15 degrees stationary...no way.

27 degrees I couldn't glass for more than 10m in uncompadre. I was freezing and the chill would make me start shaking and unable to glass. I had a lightweight kuiu hoodie under and synthetic base layer shirt. I ordered a puffy when I got home the next day. I don't get cold super easy, but when I do I start to break down mentally. Anything under 40 I'm packing puffy from now on. Uncompadre will be early season archery.

Deadfall

WKR
I live outside most of year. Packing hunters around until end of November, then hunting for myself into February. These are extended stay situations.
By far and away the kifaru lost park parka is not only the warmest puffy I've ever owned. It's incredible how tough the thing is.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So, with some more work being done on this, preliminary data shows that an internal temp inside clothing of 70 degrees is where most are truly “comfortable”.

The degree ratings I wrote above match pretty well.

Imcolej

FNG
*SG Grumann - One of my favorite, but I hate the astronaut look. A different color (hopefully coming this year) will help that "feel". This one is warm enough and packs down small. A great all around option. One of my favorite "general use" puffys.

Have you heard another color is coming this year or is this just a hope? I really want the Grumann but also not thrilled on the euro-discotech silver and I'll wait if there's a hope they'll have it in an earth tone vs. an intergalactic tone.

OP
M
Have you heard another color is coming this year or is this just a hope? I really want the Grumann but also not thrilled on the euro-discotech silver and I'll wait if there's a hope they'll have it in an earth tone vs. an intergalactic tone.

Should be one in a tan color. There’s some pics on their IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who have tried most or all options, which early to mid-season jackets are the quietest?

I tried a Kuiu Superdown Pro and Ultra and am not overly impressed with the noise. I’m looking for something geared towards an insulation layer mainly for Colorado/Wyoming from August to end of September and something that works well for bowhunting. To me these seem too noisy. Do either of them quiet down with a little wear? Are some of the others a better option for being quieter?

mcseal2

WKR
Quietest I've tried is the Kuiu Kenai. It's also the most breathable. It is not as warm as some other options, but it has it's place. It's the only one I could hike in much even if it's really cold. I have not tried Sitka but have tried Kryptek, Kuiu, Kifaru, and First Lite.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I second the KUIU Kenai jacket...it is absolutely much more comfortable to wear when moving and stopping to glass. I don't work-up a sweat when on the move like I have with other jackets or with pretty much any down jacket. The insulation just seems to breathe better, and the pit-zips help a lot. It is my favorite go to jacket for late September hunting up here. All that said, I wear the Kenai non-hooded version, and I eventually sometimes need an outside layer when sitting for long periods if the temps are really cold and/or it's cold with a strong wind...but at least I'm not all wet from sweating it up.

....and it is a very quiet fabric.

Last edited:

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have tried most or all options, which early to mid-season jackets are the quietest?

I tried a Kuiu Superdown Pro and Ultra and am not overly impressed with the noise. I’m looking for something geared towards an insulation layer mainly for Colorado/Wyoming from August to end of September and something that works well for bowhunting. To me these seem too noisy. Do either of them quiet down with a little wear? Are some of the others a better option for being quieter?

The Kuiu is noisy when it’s really cold especially if you’re bow hunting. Mine did quite down some but when it’s really cold it’s too loud.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The Kuiu is noisy when it’s really cold especially if you’re bow hunting. Mine did quite down some but when it’s really cold it’s too loud.

I agree...those jackets are definitely loud.

They do have a purpose...I wear mine when I'm back in camp for the night. I'm typically out in the field, tent camping in a remote location for at least two weeks continuously each fall moose hunting. At the end of the day, it is so good to put that big down layer on while sitting outside with a headlamp, eating a Mountain House dinner.

gfreidy

WKR
I need to try more puffys! I have only used the Uncompaghre and think it has been the bomb! I am an active hunter though and my glassing spots are usually under an hour. Haven’t had a tear yet, but I do remove it as a layer as I heat up. Used it this year for 10 degree days in the backcountry. Anxious now to see what I am missing!

Anyone have opinions on how the FL Brooks Sweater rates on noise? All these products are great, but sometimes its really difficult to not shop for them in person! But I guess that's why they invented returns.

LJ Buck

WKR
I get confused on why so many people have concerns about the noise of a puffy. I would never wear a puffy while stocking an animal with a bow and if I am gun hunting it won’t matter. The purpose of a puffy is to keep you warm. If you want a silent insulated jacket go with the kelvin lite, but it doesn’t compare to the warmth of a down jacket or a kifaru Lost Parka.

As for the brooks down, it’s not all that bad but if i had to draw a bow within 40yds the critter might not hear me. I think people spook more animals moving to fast on a stock. If you are moving extremely slow the fabric won’t matter a whole lot IMO.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I get confused on why so many people have concerns about the noise of a puffy. I would never wear a puffy while stocking an animal with a bow and if I am gun hunting it won’t matter. The purpose of a puffy is to keep you warm. If you want a silent insulated jacket go with the kelvin lite, but it doesn’t compare to the warmth of a down jacket or a kifaru Lost Parka.

As for the brooks down, it’s not all that bad but if i had to draw a bow within 40yds the critter might not hear me. I think people spook more animals moving to fast on a stock. If you are moving extremely slow the fabric won’t matter a whole lot IMO.

Killed two bulls at under 15 yards with my stick bow while wearing a puffy jacket.

I understand people wanting to be quiet but you are right movement will be the first thing to mess up a stalk.