Puffy Considerations

Gonewest

WKR
What do you look for when buy a puffy jacket or pants? I've been searching for "cheaper" clothing options and am trying to figured out what to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
1) warmth to weight ratio
2) fill type
3) durability
4) features (hood, pockets, cuffs, etc)

Most of those are closely related, it's impossible to be the best in all 4 categories...

What are your intended uses??

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
1) warmth to weight ratio
2) fill type
3) durability
4) features (hood, pockets, cuffs, etc)

Most of those are closely related, it's impossible to be the best in all 4 categories...

What are your intended uses??

I'm looking to use it as an insulation layer while glossing.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Packing in or hunting closer to base camp?

Normally we hunt eastern Montana in November but didn't draw this year. We're going to try Idaho in late October now. The plan this year is to pack in every morning. I'd love to spend a night or two in the backcountry if I can get the gear for it. There is a ton of stuff to get. That's why I'm bargain shopping ;)

ianpadron

WKR
Normally we hunt eastern Montana in November but didn't draw this year. We're going to try Idaho in late October now. The plan this year is to pack in every morning. I'd love to spend a night or two in the backcountry if I can get the gear for it. There is a ton of stuff to get. That's why I'm bargain shopping ;)

I hear ya, it adds up quick.

Check out the REI Magma, Sitka Kelvin Ultralight, and KUIU Teton. All can be found for around 100 bucks.

Layer properly and add a hardshell, you're ready to roll.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm the type who will take some penalty to save good money. For example I'll take a $150 3 ounces of 650 fill power over a $300 2 ounces of 850 fill power jacket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hunter6

WKR
Don't forget to keep an eye on the classifieds here while building your kit.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Check out huntingdog45 in forum. Found a puffy from Eddie Bauer for less than $80. Got one already and works great here in AK. They also have soft shell jackets and pants that are comparable to Kuiu and Sitka. Mine will go under D.C.'s guide jacket so I didn't care if it was the "right" came pattern. Look at Camofire, can find good deals on clothing and gear every now and then. Got a merino wool 200 LS for $35 and as stated above not in camo but is my base layer so I didn't care. That's my .02

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Check out huntingdog45 in forum. Found a puffy from Eddie Bauer for less than $80. Got one already and works great here in AK. They also have soft shell jackets and pants that are comparable to Kuiu and Sitka. Mine will go under D.C.'s guide jacket so I didn't care if it was the "right" came pattern. Look at Camofire, can find good deals on clothing and gear every now and then. Got a merino wool 200 LS for $35 and as stated above not in camo but is my base layer so I didn't care. That's my .02

I just bought the jacket for under $70. Awesome deal!

I found a nwt pair of Prana Stretch Zion on eBay for $45.

I got an EXO 5500 bag and crib on the classifieds here. The frame should be here later this month.

This is almost a sickness:)

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
On steap and cheap they have a earth brown Patagonia down sweater for a great price...it's an awesome light jacket.