Puffy Hard shell Combo

For my back county bow hunts, I have been running the Kuiu Spindrift and guide jacket and packing Cabela's space rain gear. I'm thinking about getting rid of the soft shell and running the Kuiu super down with either the Kuiu chugach or the Kuiu yukon. What setup would you guys recommend?

I have been running the chugach for two seasons now with various puffys underneath it. I love the combo. My whole feelings are that i will never wear just the puffy so i use it with solid color ones, but that doesn't really matter too much. When ever it gets cold enough to dictate the puffy, the chugach jacket comes out.

I have used the Guide jacket a bit and like it for its purpose, but have never worn a puffy under it. For me a couple more ounces for a puffy and chugach in the back country is a lot more usable

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned both the chugach and Yukon and both are a little on the loud side for bow hunting IMO.

The Yukon is heavier and not as packable as the Chugach.

If where you are going gets nearly constant rain, then get the Yukon, but if you just need to put a hard shell on now and then, go with the Chugach.

Love my SuperDown, it was my daily wear jacket this winter and it worked great, I don't go anywhere without it.

Trr15

WKR
I know you're specifically looking for input on Kuiu, but the FL Boundary Stormtight and Uncompaghre puffy are worth a look. Very happy with mine. I have Chugach bottoms and found the FL shell to be a little quieter than the Chugach material, although probably not as durable. Too early to tell on that though.

littlebuf

Banned
i dumped the soft shell years ago. its really pretty redundant to carry one if your carrying a puffy and rain gear. as far as the rain jackets listed i have no experience with them. i run a marmet precip and couldn't be happier with it. super light, packable and fits nicely over my puffy. here in western Washington it sees a little bit of rain also

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the first lite puffy with kuiu guide vest and keep my rain gear in my pack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As far as jackets go and archery season.......all I need is a down puffy and rain jacket. And most the time I don't even need those.

TD1

FNG
Yukon is quieter than the Chugach. Heavier, but tougher as well, pretty solid material and construction. More of a full blown jacket than the Chugach. Both get a good deal quieter as they "break in", like night and day. The "crinkle" noise is nearly gone from mine
The Yukon goes everywhere with me, home, work or in the field, it's the best gear I own. Bowhunting in it hasn't been an issue because if I'm wearing it it's raining pretty good and/or windy.
If it's not raining/cold wind and I'm moving it's in the pack with the puffy, no need for any jacket with a base, heavier second layer and a vest if needed. Stationary or in camp and it's cold the FL puffy is great stuff the few times I've used it. If colder yet the Yukon will go over it.

charvey9

WKR
I have a little time in both the Chugach and Yukon jackets. This year I'll be running with the SD jacket and Chugach for 90% of my bow hunting.

The Yukon is great if it will be raining or snowing a lot, and can rock all day wet weather and wind without a problem, but it is a bit overkill for early season in my opinion. However, if you only want to get one or the other I guess the Yukon is your best value for use the whole year round.

Both jackets are strictly wind/water breakers, and provide little insulation benefit so you will need a good puffy layer.

FYI. The Chugach pants are also well worth the money. Light, packable, and worth taking on your hunting trip. If it is going to be raining, don't hesitate to put them on over just your base layer and hammer all day even in the early season. They'll keep you dry and breath well. The leg zips come all the way up to your hip bone, so its very easy to regulate ventelation as well.

I was also really surprised with how well the gear actually dries out, even overnight in a wet tent.