Puffy Jacket feedback needed

Wags

WKR
I'm looking to add a puffy outer jacket for this season. I have a Sitka Kelvin Active and think it'll make a great mid layer but I'd like something with a little more warmth for an outer layer.

I'm interested in these ...

Stone Glacier Grumman
Sitka Kelvin Down WS
Sitka Kelvin Lite Down
First Lite Uncompaghre
First Lite Chamberlain
Kifaru Lost Park

I don't really need something super light for backpacking. I'm more interested in warmth / durability.

I've not been able to actually handle any of these & appreciate any feedback you can help with.

Last edited:
I've had the SG Grumman and FL Uncompaghre, neither one was close to warm enough for me. I have a Kifaru LPP and its been pretty good for durability, but not super warm either in my opinion. I'm stepping it up to a First Lite Chamberlin in hopes that it'll be warm enough. I'm pretty cold blooded so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Haven't used the Sitka WS.

OP
Wags

Wags

WKR
I've had the SG Grumman and FL Uncompaghre, neither one was close to warm enough for me. I have a Kifaru LPP and its been pretty good for durability, but not super warm either in my opinion. I'm stepping it up to a First Lite Chamberlin in hopes that it'll be warm enough. I'm pretty cold blooded so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Haven't used the Sitka WS.

Thanks, that's helpful, I added the Chamberlain to my list as well.

What temperature range? I layered up the Uncompahgre with a few underlayers and was good at 10F, but I was moving. Love that jacket.

Is your puffy for moving or sitting?

Sitting? USA-made Feathered Friends Helios is barely more cost than imported.

OP
Wags

Wags

WKR
What temperature range? I layered up the Uncompahgre with a few underlayers and was good at 10F, but I was moving. Love that jacket.

Is your puffy for moving or sitting?

Sitting? USA-made Feathered Friends Helios is barely more cost than imported.

It'll be used down to however cold it get's in WY or CO in November, which can vary drastically. It'll primarily be used as a glassing / still hunting jacket. I have other gear to layer in when I am moving.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Lost Park and it’s incredible. It’s built well with heavy cordura on the arms and belly. I also have the uncompadre 2.0 and it’s very very delicate. The LPP also has a massive quarter zip that goes half way down your chest.

For warmth the LPP is way warmer. But I would not want to shoot my bow with it on. The uncompadre is decently warm and has nice tapered arms perfect for bow shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
The LPP is literally like wearing a sleeping bag. Im sure others would agree. And the durability is by far beyond first lites.

It'll be used down to however cold it get's in WY or CO in November, which can vary drastically. It'll primarily be used as a glassing / still hunting jacket. I have other gear to layer in when I am moving.

FF Hooded Helios and Helios zip on puffy pants. I got the pants for $200 in the blem section. Never found the blemish. Warm to negative Fahrenheit temps.

Froze my butt off in my LPP this winter while lion hunting. Temp about 15 degrees, 125 merino base, Kuiu strong fleece 260 and LPP over all of it. But, I'm probably the most cold blooded person I know. LPP handled the rigors of hound hunting just fine, but it's just not warm enough for me sitting on a ridgeline glassing for a couple hours in the wind.

Froze my butt off in my LPP this winter while lion hunting. Temp about 15 degrees, 125 merino base, Kuiu strong fleece 260 and LPP over all of it. But, I'm probably the most cold blooded person I know. LPP handled the rigors of hound hunting just fine, but it's just not warm enough for me sitting on a ridgeline glassing for a couple hours in the wind.

Truth. Everyone seems to have a see through shirt that is warm to -30 but they aren’t sitting still glassing for 6 hours. That’s the kind of thing almost nothing seems to work for.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider

If ya wanna sell the LPP lemme know.

I would say Chamberlain or Kelvin WS both insulation values will outlast LPP. Any of those 3 would be tough to shoot in. Rifle could make it happen, bow would be pretty tough.
other option is to get a 5oz down fill puffy and if you don’t think it’s enough get a second. Several people have gone that route to get the 10oz fill warmth with more flexibility.
SKRE ptarmigan is a great option in the 5oz range and much cheaper than SG with minimal additional weight. Kryptek Ghar is another that has more fill than SKRE or SG.
sitka Kelvin lite down has less fill than these 3.
search Ryan Avery and formidulous they both have tons of info and real world data and use with puffy jackets.

OP
Wags

Wags

WKR
I would say Chamberlain or Kelvin WS both insulation values will outlast LPP. Any of those 3 would be tough to shoot in. Rifle could make it happen, bow would be pretty tough.
other option is to get a 5oz down fill puffy and if you don’t think it’s enough get a second. Several people have gone that route to get the 10oz fill warmth with more flexibility.
SKRE ptarmigan is a great option in the 5oz range and much cheaper than SG with minimal additional weight. Kryptek Ghar is another that has more fill than SKRE or SG.
sitka Kelvin lite down has less fill than these 3.
search Ryan Avery and formidulous they both have tons of info and real world data and use with puffy jackets.

Thanks, I'm a rifle guy so that should make it a little easier.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're sitting and glassing in November (CO & WY) you're going to want something very warm- think parka, not jacket.

My go to sit and glass in November is a Nunatak PCT's jacket with 5 oz Apex (cut long)- this layered over my base layer and mid-layer and if it's not enough, I carry a 12 oz Apex quilt with a "poncho" hole- this gets thrown over the top of everything. It's also a nice emergency piece to have your pack, just in case.

madcalfe

WKR
I've been running a arcteryx cerium LT hoody for the last 3 years and no complaints.
and have used it in -20*F with the kuiu guide jacket over top for white tail hunting.

Tx270WT

FNG
I would look into non hunting jackets as well as mentioned above depending on level of insulation needed if you want more options. I picked up a Rab positron for glassing high elevation rifle season if want another idea that’s not a hunting brand. It’s purely a glassing jacket as I would not want to move in this thing for how warm it would get. Love that Sitka kelvin lite hoody but it’s no where near warm enough for the time of year where I hunt, high elevation November. Also have the skre ptarmigan and it is nice but not a high elevation-November puffy. There are quite a few threads on this from past seasons if you do a little searching on the site. What you tend to find is with the non hunting jackets/parkas you tend to get more/better insulation for the price paid. The feathered friends and chamberlain options are in a similar pool of warmth options.
I can’t for the life of me find it right now, but someone on this site made a wonderful comparison spreadsheet of many different insulation jackets and rated warmth (R rating)

I too am sick of getting cold sitting and glassing. This year I am either trying the montbell alpine or the rab.