Puffy Jacket feedback needed

ccarter

FNG
Agree with lots of the comments. For sitting on a high ridge glassing in the rockies in November, a parka is the way to be thinking. I also think the fill weight is more important than the fill power. 5 oz of down just won't cut it for what you want. You probably need 7 or more ounces of fill weight, preferably 800 fill power or higher. The RAB suggestion is a good one. Their Electron has 7+ ounces of treated 800 fill down (maybe 850). Their Neutrino has 8 or more ounces of 800+ fill power down. For the same use you're talking about, I went with a Montbell Alpine Down jacket with 7 oz. of 800 fill non-treated down. At 300 bucks, you get 2 ounces more down than most the hunting brands with a 3 ounce weight penalty. I'll gladly carry 3 extra ounces for the added warmth for 100 bucks less.

prm

WKR
For sitting and glassing in very cold conditions I have a Kifaru woobie to wrap around me and stay warm. Keeps feet warm too.

Edit:
My layering system for CO Rockies in Oct and Nov is the following:
  • Base layer (aerowool typically)
  • Peleton 240 Hoody
  • Arcteryx Atom (light puffy)
  • Kifaru Lost Park
I’ve not encountered conditions where my upper body was cold with these layers. Lowest temps of at or slightly below zero, and windy. My feet are my limiting factor.

Last edited:

406unltd

WKR
I’d go lost park or kelvin ws by the sounds of it. I own the KLDJ and it is a great late season puffy for me here in wmt. It just depends on how hot or cold blooded you are.

If you aren't worried about weight/packability I'd look in to some of the gear tailored to whitetail hunters.

FL Solitude is really warm, and still somewhat packable.

I have a Patagonia Fitzroy that’s hooded. More loft as I think it’s designed as a belay jacket. Not a great piece to layer over but makes an excellent jacket to wear glassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
If you aren’t counting ounces, I’d have a hard time not going with the Kifaru Lost Park Parka (with the half zip). The anorak design allows for sealing more of that heat in. Honestly, if staying warm is priority, you should look into that new sleeping bag design by sitka…might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

skierhs

WKR
If you aren’t counting ounces, I’d have a hard time not going with the Kifaru Lost Park Parka (with the half zip). The anorak design allows for sealing more of that heat in. Honestly, if staying warm is priority, you should look into that new sleeping bag design by sitka…might be able to kill two birds with one stone.
Any particular reason to go with the half zip instead of the full zip? I’m looking at ordering one and can’t decide which way to go.

jd1006

WKR
The half zip is my preferred because it will hold the heat better with no zipper separating the insulation and allowing a better cinch. But, I mostly wear my puffy as my last layer (unless raining), so its pretty simple to put on.

The Kelvin Down WS is very warm. I almost never wear it as I don't do a lot of late season glassing. I own the Kelvin Lite (w/ primaloft not the down version) and its a great piece to throw on over the Kelvin Active when it gets chilly. You can be a little active in the Kevlin Lite stuff but I would say not at all in the Kevlin Down WS, you'll overheat.

mbucks27

FNG
I love my First lite puffy. It lives in the bottom of my pack all season and keeps me plenty warm. Tradeoff is a little noise but it breaks in after use.

Seeknelk

WKR
I‘ve owned and used everyone of these in fairly harsh conditions. If weight and bulk are not a concern, the Sitka WS and FL Chamberlain are FANTASTIC. Light years ahead of the rest on the list in warmth….Not even close.
I picked up the sitka Kelvin windstopper last year. If you need to be seriously warm , this is a top one to consider. I've heard the FL Chamberlain is maybe a touch warmer? But these two are only beat by the big fat puffies from Nunavut and FF for the warmth to weight ratio it seems.( Some other I'm sure too)
The Kelvin WS does have a tougher outer fabric (the WS?)...and doesn't shy from some drizzle n slop.
I also keep a lighter puffy around for the first half of the fall.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the SG Grumman and FL Uncompaghre, neither one was close to warm enough for me. I have a Kifaru LPP and its been pretty good for durability, but not super warm either in my opinion. I'm stepping it up to a First Lite Chamberlin in hopes that it'll be warm enough. I'm pretty cold blooded so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Haven't used the Sitka WS.
What temperatures are you using those jackets at?

Mcnasty

FNG
I would look into non hunting jackets as well as mentioned above depending on level of insulation needed if you want more options. I picked up a Rab positron for glassing high elevation rifle season if want another idea that’s not a hunting brand. It’s purely a glassing jacket as I would not want to move in this thing for how warm it would get. Love that Sitka kelvin lite hoody but it’s no where near warm enough for the time of year where I hunt, high elevation November. Also have the skre ptarmigan and it is nice but not a high elevation-November puffy. There are quite a few threads on this from past seasons if you do a little searching on the site. What you tend to find is with the non hunting jackets/parkas you tend to get more/better insulation for the price paid. The feathered friends and chamberlain options are in a similar pool of warmth options.
I can’t for the life of me find it right now, but someone on this site made a wonderful comparison spreadsheet of many different insulation jackets and rated warmth (R rating)
Yup that comparison spread sheet was solid gold. I wish I had marked the thread as I have spent a lot of time looking and still cant find it again.