Puffy jacket- Kifaru or Kuiu?

Trying to figure out which jacket is the warmest between the Kifaru Lost Parka and the Kuiu Super Down Pro (not the ultra)? I actually have the Kifaru and like it just wondering if the Kuiu is an upgrade or not. I think the Kuiu is lighter for sure. Thanks for your help.

jd1006

WKR
I’d go with the SG Grumman if weight savings is what you are primarily looking for. And if you are going to spend Kuiu prices on down, I’d just start looking at REI or Moosejaw for windstopper down jackets in solid. There’s quite a few out there for much cheaper than Kuiu/Sitka prices and you can get 20-40% discounts. I’ve seen threads on here where people compare the weights of the fill and can prove what should be warmest. The Mont Bell Permafrost Parka comes up a lot.

Jimss

WKR
I would rather have the option of adding or subtracting layers rather than 1 super warm coat. I guess if all I did was sit in a blind without hiking a ultra warm coat or even better a pair of bibs would be nice. I have so many great layers that I can usually figure out the perfect option for just about any hunt and weather.

i have not tried the super down... have the kenai and kifaru lpp... for me, the lpp is the perfect puffy, it's wet here so down isn't ideal, and the durability of the lpp is great... you'll have to decide what is the best fit for what you do. when it's cold and windy, sitting up on a high ridge set up glassing for hours, the lpp is awesome, it's like putting on a sleeping bag... i trade the bulk and durability and wet weather performance for the pros of down.

if i spent a lot of time in really cold dry climates, i would have a down option too, but it would be in addition to, the lpp's durability shines for me, and i like the front pocket design when wearing my pack... like everything i own from kifaru, it's a well thought out piece of gear, and perfect for the coast

crich

WKR
I’d go with the SG Grumman if weight savings is what you are primarily looking for. And if you are going to spend Kuiu prices on down, I’d just start looking at REI or Moosejaw for windstopper down jackets in solid. There’s quite a few out there for much cheaper than Kuiu/Sitka prices and you can get 20-40% discounts. I’ve seen threads on here where people compare the weights of the fill and can prove what should be warmest. The Mont Bell Permafrost Parka comes up a lot.
Solid advice above... If the SD Pro will be an upgrade depends on what you're using it for. Each of those jackets are made for different purposes. I've not owned both so I can't comment on warmth as an apples to apples comparison.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the SG Grumman. I have the kuiu super down pro and it wasn’t as warm. The Grumman is much warmer and still packs small.
I don’t have any experience with the kifaru coat.

tracker12

WKR
I would recommend the SG Grumman. I have the kuiu super down pro and it wasn’t as warm. The Grumman is much warmer and still packs small.
I don’t have any experience with the kifaru coat.
Some of the reviews mention the SG is not durable and rips. Think it will last?

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the reviews mention the SG is not durable and rips. Think it will last?
The fabric on the Grumman isn’t all that tough, but that’s the trade off for the weight. I haven’t torn mine but I mainly wear it while I sit, it’s to warm to hike in.
My wife has a arcteryx puffy and the outer fabric feels much more durable, and that coat is light and packs small.

Bubba

FNG
The super down is very warm and packs down very small. I have the pants and use them glassing and between the two I stay plenty warm.

Is your quilt/bag synthetic or down? One thing I’ve kind of used to help me settle on a puffy is that I have a down quilt. Since those are more vulnerable to moisture, I carry a synthetic puffy (Kryptek Ghar) so that if I get wet, I will have at least one insulation piece that has a chance of keeping me warm(er) and alive.

I e got the super down and the LPP. LPP is way warmer. Super down is great for layering, but the LPP is definitely warmer

tracker12

WKR
The fabric on the Grumman isn’t all that tough, but that’s the trade off for the weight. I haven’t torn mine but I mainly wear it while I sit, it’s to warm to hike in.
My wife has a arcteryx puffy and the outer fabric feels much more durable, and that coat is light and packs small.
My wife has an Arcteryx puffy also and it is really light, warm and durable. I often like to wear my puffy as an outer layer. I like the Kuiu but they are too noisy for me. I have a super down vest that works under laters but even the top on my beard stubble drives ne crazy while bow hunting which is mostly what I do.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at Rab and Mont-bell. Both have great options just gotta pick how warm you want it to be. Down fill weight and quality are the numbers that matter.