Puffy jacket on a serious budget

Trial153

WKR
get ahold of a 25% off ll bean coupon then look for one of their down puffy that are on sale, add the 25% off and thats about was cheap as you will find.

BAKPAKR

WKR
get ahold of a 25% off ll bean coupon then look for one of their down puffy that are on sale, add the 25% off and thats about was cheap as you will find.
I agree with Trial153. It might be over your budget, but if not, I think the LL Bean 850 fill hooded jacket is a heck of a good jacket. I got mine in an olive like color but it doesn’t appear that that color is available anymore.

ChrisS

WKR
I've had a few and I keep using my Hawke & Co packable puffy. The zippers are starting to break after 4 years now. I think I got it for $20 at a TJ Maxx. I wouldn't depend on it for too long under 32F but it gets the job done and is only about 9oz. The best is that I don't worry about it and anytime I snag it or get a burn hole, I just slap on another piece of tenacious tape and off we go.

I've got an Eddie Bauer microtherm which is really the bare minimum of insulation I'd use and I usually reach for that Hawke and Co instead.

Austink47

WKR
I always have really good luck buying winter gear on eBay in the spring - early summer. I got a Patagonia puffy vest for $25 last year. Might be cheaper in the long run to spend a little more in the short term.

I've got a COSTCO puffy, no hood in XL that weighs 13 ounces. My KUIU Superdown hooded puffy in XL weighs 9 ounces and is nearly as warm as the COSTCO jacket. The sleeves are a bit short vs the KUIU if you have long arms (I do). That said the KUIU cost 5X as much if I remember right. KUIU SD goes on my backpack hunts, stuffed into its own breast pocket. The COSTCO jacket came with a nice stuff sack I use for other purposes, and is used for around town wear...but would work fine for backpacking. I did use it to layer over the KUIU SD jacket and under a caribou hide parka in Nunavut a year ago last February out on the ice for 11 days. Great value for sure, as are the two COSTCO down vests I have.

JWP58

WKR
Something from an outdoor clothing company like outdoor research, arcteryx, north face, etc that is on sale. This time of year you can find deals on year end closeouts. (Stp)

I have not shelled out the money yet for a brand name hunting puffy, so I have no real frame of reference, but I was pleasantly surprised with my cheapo synthetic from Target that cost around $40. I believe it was a champion brand? Used it for 2 years hunting in Maine and it was awesome to me.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of the Costco puffy mentioned above, Gerry brand. Very happy with it, especially for the price.

ChrisAU

WKR
For $26, I’d be very tempted to try one of these. https://www.32degrees.com/products/mens-nano-light-down-packable-jacket

I have no experience with them but it looks to be an amazing value there.

Well holy moly donut shop guys, I saw this link last Thursday, ordered a midweight collarless for both me and my wife to try ($25 each, no shipping charge, no tax, why not) and they showed up today, 5 days before FedEx said they were supposed to. And I’m super impressed for $25. I run what I’d call a high end jacket for western hunting use, an ArcTeryx Cerium LT Hoody, and I genuinely like this $25 puffy. It is very lofty, much more so than I expected, and my large (hoodless) was only 14.3 oz on my scale! Obviously I haven’t worn it in cold weather yet but just at first glance for $25 I’m tickled.

jasboj

FNG
Well holy moly donut shop guys, I saw this link last Thursday, ordered a midweight collarless for both me and my wife to try ($25 each, no shipping charge, no tax, why not) and they showed up today, 5 days before FedEx said they were supposed to. And I’m super impressed for $25. I run what I’d call a high end jacket for western hunting use, an ArcTeryx Cerium LT Hoody, and I genuinely like this $25 puffy. It is very lofty, much more so than I expected, and my large (hoodless) was only 14.3 oz on my scale! Obviously I haven’t worn it in cold weather yet but just at first glance for $25 I’m tickled.
So do you think the sizing runs true? Hows the fit for the rest of us who may give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

andydwyer

WKR
This is the best reviewed cheap down jacket I've found. On a tight budget myself. Rated very highly in comparison with $300 jackets, but not really hunting appreciate colors. I'd check out REI's used section, or the garage sale too. A year or so ago Outdoor Gear Lab rated the UNIQLO down jacket very high for a budget pick too.

ChrisAU

WKR
So do you think the sizing runs true? Hows the fit for the rest of us who may give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I do, got a Large and it fits great. I typically wear Large First Lite Stuff. My Cerium LT is an XL. Wear some Large some XL Kuiu stuff.