Puffy jacket

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide between a synthetic puffy jacket. I dont want down. I'm either thinking the new FL Uncompahgre, Kuiu Kenai or Sitka Kelvin. Would like to hear some thoughts and experiences from you guys! Thank you!

Trr15

WKR
I’ve had all three as well (original uncompahgre) and I’ve found that the kelvin is the least breathable, Kenai the most breathable (too much to be used for an outer layer in my opinion). I like the fit of the uncompahgre the least as it fits about a full size too big. All things considered, I’d go with the kelvin, but I wouldn’t mind trying the newest version of the uncompahgre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had all three as well (original uncompahgre) and I’ve found that the kelvin is the least breathable, Kenai the most breathable (too much to be used for an outer layer in my opinion). I like the fit of the uncompahgre the least as it fits about a full size too big. All things considered, I’d go with the kelvin, but I wouldn’t mind trying the newest version of the uncompahgre.

I was looking hard at the kelvin, is it about as quiet as the kenai?

Trr15

WKR
The Kenai is quieter because the outer fabric is softer and more breathable. The kelvin isn’t loud by any means though.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another vote for the Kelvin. I have run it for about 150 days total in the back country and it has held up great. Really worm and has the best abrasion resistance of the three of those for sure.

LJ Buck

WKR
If you want a step up the warmth go with the Lost Parka. The kelvin is a nice jacket but the kenia alway surprises me on how warm it is and how breathable at the same time.

Come Sept I prefer a warm jacket like Lost parka or Grumman puffy for a backpack hunt where it is my main piece of insulation.

2blade

WKR
I've owned all 3 and the uncompahgre is the only one I have left. Love the shooters cut for bowhunting.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider

Attachments

• 81EF71A4-3D3E-4D78-83A3-C276A2E0C55E.jpeg
    81EF71A4-3D3E-4D78-83A3-C276A2E0C55E.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 66

tdot

WKR
It's funny all the varied responses here. I personally found the Kenai to be the single best insulating piece I've ever had. I prefer my insulation layers to be under a shell jacket, so that is probably why I prefer it to the others. I dont want multiple jackets that all sorta do the same thing. So I don't need a puffy that is a poor exterior shell. I'd rather a proper shell. In more moderate conditions I also like the quietness and breathability of the Kenai.

Kifaru Lost Park Parka lol. I have the lost park and the FL Uncomp. Both are outstanding. I've only heard positives of the others you listed as well

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Kelvin is my go to, FL Uncompahgre and Kenai didn't fit me as well (being a thinner person) but the Kenai was more breathable.

Between the Kuiu Kenai or Sitka Kelvin I think the Sitka is quieter. Both are quality products though for warmth. I don't have experience with the FL. I ultimately went with a Kuiu down for weight and wear it under an outer layer if I'm moving, because it's definitely noisier.

Vernon

FNG
Uncompahgre gets my vote! Never owned the Sitka but have owned the Kenai which I also liked but not as much as my Uncompahgre puffy.

Benjblt

WKR

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ this- Apex insulation- you choose the correct weight, you can even combine weights ie lighter in the sleeves, heavier in the core.

fully customizable- multiple fabrics to choose from, you can add length to the sleeves, to the length of the garment, pockets, full zip or pullover, the list goes on

I have a couple of years on mine and myriad of trips

Oh- the also make custom Apex insulated pants too :)

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the design of the Lost Parka, you may want to check out the custom jackets by Nunatak Gear. You can a super warm jacket that is far lighter than any of the stock jackets that you mentioned.
I have a Nunataks jacket and pants made for a Dall Sheep hunt I did in tha Arctic Circle loved them. My wife is having a set made now for our 3 season Elk hunt this year.