Puffy Jacket

I've always been intrigued by FF, but their stock images always make the jacket look cropped in the torso. Does it fit like that also?
It's not a parka....it's a jacket. Not particularly short in my opinion, as it sits on top of my hips. I've never wished it was longer. I do agree some of the pictures make it look short. This one is a better representation of length.

IMG_2237.jpeg

Last edited:

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I've always been intrigued by FF, but their stock images always make the jacket look cropped in the torso. Does it fit like that also?

Fits me like any other puffy. I’m 5’10” 170 lbs and the medium fits great. It packs down super small in a stuff sack if comes with too.

100% agree and it isn't close for me.

Feathered Friends Helinox in use on a cold Alaska morning.

Ney4vDRl.jpg

CJ6d8lGl.jpg
What’s your impression of the Pertex shell? Getting a puffy wet obviously isn’t a sound practice, but stuff happens sometimes and I’d like to know what that water resistance actually looks like in the field.

I’m very interested in this jacket but haven’t been able to get first-hand accounts of the performance in that regard.

What’s your impression of the Pertex shell? Getting a puffy wet obviously isn’t a sound practice, but stuff happens sometimes and I’d like to know what that water resistance actually looks like in the field.

I’m very interested in this jacket but haven’t been able to get first-hand accounts of the performance in that regard.
It's water-resistant but absolutely a non-issue. This isn't (imo) an outer garment you'd ever wear in rainy weather period. With so many ounces of 900 goose down (7.2 oz in size medium) it's a jacket you wear when it's frosty-frozen cold. It will put up with some rain or melting snow just fine, but nobody would reasonably wear this as an outer piece in heavy precipitation.

I have no problem confessing to being a Feathered Friends snob. This is expedition-level gear. I've owned 4 of their down garments (2 vests and 2 jackets) and all have been superior to any other brand. KUIU, First Lite and Sitka all make good puffy jackets, but the FF Helios blows them completely away, especially considering prices. FF stuff carries a clearly stated lifetime warranty against defective materials or workmanship. If you ever damage it, FF will have you send it to Seattle for in-house repairs. The Big 3 hunting gear companies have third party repair shops do their work, as essentially none of them do stitchwork in the USA.

Last edited:
It's water-resistant but absolutely a non-issue. This isn't (imo) an outer garment you'd ever wear in rainy weather period. With so many ounces of 900 goose down (7.2 oz in size medium) it's a jacket you wear when it's frosty-frozen cold. It will put up with some rain or melting snow just fine, but nobody would reasonably wear this as an outer piece in heavy precipitation.

I have no problem confessing to being a Feathered Friends snob. This is expedition-level gear. I've owned 4 of their down garments (2 vests and 2 jackets) and all have been superior to any other brand. KUIU, First Lite and Sitka all make good puffy jackets, but the FF Helinox blows them completely away, especially considering prices. FF stuff carries a clearly stated lifetime warranty against defective materials or workmanship. If you ever damage it, FF will have you send it to Seattle for in-house repairs. The Big 3 hunting gear companies have third party repair shops do their work, as essentially none of them do stitchwork in the USA.
Thanks for the response, I’ll likely pick one up when they’re back in stock. Additionally, I was not aware of their repair policy. There is a bit of sticker shock (especially for an unknown to me product), but that makes it less intimidating.

For clarification, I was asking about the efficacy of the shell for the times you wake up and stumble into the side of your tent with condensation on it, for example. Not how it would perform as a rain jacket.

Edited for clarity and grammar errors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I don’t think I was clear in my first post, I was asking about the efficacy of the shell for the times you wake up and stumble into the side of your tent with condensation on it, for example. Not how it would perform as a rain jacket.
I guess I didn't quite catch on to that.

The Helios uses Pertex Endurance LT fabric, which is DWR treated and has 10k total water resistance. I'm not able to interpret what that 10k means in actual use/benefit, but the DWR on my jacket has been more than capable of fending off moisture. I'm not a person who is concerned with a minor amount of moisture contacting or getting on this jacket. The fabric is also very breathable so any moisture vapor inside the jacket escapes easily. And again, this jacket is so warm that I basically don't have it on when temps are above frost...liquid moisture is the last of my concerns.

I guess I didn't quite catch on to that.

The Helios uses Pertex Endurance LT fabric, which is DWR treated and has 10k total water resistance. I'm not able to interpret what that 10k means in actual use/benefit, but the DWR on my jacket has been more than capable of fending off moisture. I'm not a person who is concerned with a minor amount of moisture contacting or getting on this jacket. The fabric is also very breathable so any moisture vapor inside the jacket escapes easily. And again, this jacket is so warm that I basically don't have it on when temps are above frost...liquid moisture is the last of my concerns.
Thank you again for the response and apologies if my first response came off as rude - I hadn’t yet finished my first cup of coffee 🤪.

Because I'm a dyslexic dope....I just went back and corrected my previous posts in which I referred to the HELIOS jacket as Helinox. Yes...I do sometimes wear my Helios while sitting in my Helinox.

NoWiser

WKR
I got my dad a FF Helios, which he used all last hunting season. It's a super nice jacket, but rides up too much when he glasses. He makes it work but has commented a few times on it being too short. I like my Montbell Alpine more and wish I would have gotten him one instead. Plenty of length to keep my lower back nice and toasty and every bit as warm as the Helios.

The Montbell Alpine is a parka-length coat. It uses 800 goose down inside a ballistic nylon shell. It also has an attached hood. Made in Vietnam. Very nice garment. I tried one and returned it because I actually liked the hip-length Helios better, especially if wearing it while packing on those really cold mornings in Alaska.

Bkp

FNG
I use a $25 Eddie Bauer down puffy from Sam's Club...seems to be pretty durable and is warm.

NoWiser

WKR
I use a $25 Eddie Bauer down puffy from Sam's Club...seems to be pretty durable and is warm.
Until you use a high-end puffy, with plenty of quality down, in very cold conditions, you really can’t comprehend how warm they actually can be. I’m not saying a puffy like you have doesn’t have a place, but it’s just not in the same league as these other ones when you are sitting for long periods in bitter cold.

Bkp

FNG
Until you use a high-end puffy, with plenty of quality down, in very cold conditions, you really can’t comprehend how warm they actually can be. I’m not saying a puffy like you have doesn’t have a place, but it’s just not in the same league as these other ones when you are sitting for long periods in bitter cold.
I don't doubt you one bit! I know there's warmer and better quality jackets than the one I have. It works well in my layering system and provides the warmth I need in my climate.

Maybe I came off as saying you don't need a high end jacket and I didn't mean to come across that way. It works for me and is a economical option for those looking for one.

The Montbell Alpine is a parka-length coat. It uses 800 goose down inside a ballistic nylon shell. It also has an attached hood. Made in Vietnam. Very nice garment. I tried one and returned it because I actually liked the hip-length Helios better, especially if wearing it while packing on those really cold mornings in Alaska.

I bought my "2nd quality" Helios based on your experience. It is an incredible jacket. Never did find any flaw that made it a 2nd. It is slightly high waisted. I normally like long jackets that go over my butt a bit. Butt I only use this jacket sitting, and it works great along with the Helios pants.