Puffy jackets

freebird

WKR
Between a first lite chamberlain and a kifaru lost park parka. Which is going to be the warmest and toughest?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the Kifaru for several years now and am pleased with it. The nylon panels on it toughen up the wear areas.

I can't speak for the First Lite.

chamberlain is noticeably warmer. probably a 20 degree difference.

lost park parka is noticeably tougher with cordura reinforcement on high wear areas.

Last edited:

JohnnyB

WKR
Kifaru LPP is the durability champ in the puffy category. How much durability do you need in a puffy? I am usually sitting if I am wearing a puffy. I have a First Lite too and it got a small tear somehow but it is also great.

Dr.Chill

FNG
Haven't tried Kifaru, but have heard the Sitka Down WS hoody is comparable to the Chamberlain FWIW. It's a pretty beastly jacket and very warm; have worn it comfortably in below zero temps. Have seen these for as much as half off recently, assuming because Sitka must have a replacement coming down the pipe for next season

Oregonboy

WKR
I wouldn't describe any of FL's clothes as "tough". Comfortable, for sure they are. Tough....not in my experience.

Dr.Chill

FNG
I wouldn't describe any of FL's clothes as "tough". Comfortable, for sure they are. Tough....not in my experience.
I concur. Their insulation (Uncompahgre pants, in my case) are one wrong briar or thorn away from developing "heat vents" and I've had buttons pop off just when undoing them.

hunterjmj

WKR
Was eyeing the Kifaru the LPP but found the SKRe Ptarmigan on sale a couple years ago and glad I did. Put it on during glassing or when it s really cold around camp. I'd roast if I hiked with it on. Doubt it's as durable as the Kifaru but it will keep you toasty.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My kifaru is five years old now and has been used a lot, it’s still going strong. 100% of the stuff first lite makes is trash.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have both, LPP is tougher, don't wash it unless you have to, Apex insulation does fatigue faster than other insulations. Great insulation when wet.

Chamberlin is warmer but losses loft when wet.

Last edited:
I have no experience with either of these puffy's. Mine are a down jacket with "Suzuki' on the tail that I got in a thrift store for $3 and a synthetic jacket also from a thrift store. Both get the job done.

Seeknelk

WKR
Haven't tried Kifaru, but have heard the Sitka Down WS hoody is comparable to the Chamberlain FWIW. It's a pretty beastly jacket and very warm; have worn it comfortably in below zero temps. Have seen these for as much as half off recently, assuming because Sitka must have a replacement coming down the pipe for next season
This is true! Incredibly warm and wind doesnt even start to touch you. And a much more durable shell than kuiu, stone glacier and other ultralight puffies. Not seeing feather loss after 3 years either. It's probably too good so they discontinued it...😡$*^π√€~¶£!!