Puffy losing loft?

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I own the super down pro and have had it for about 4 years, I was out moose hunting in temps from the 20's and 30's am delighted literally froze! Now we weren't that active just mainly glassing and calling. I've worn this coat in temps lower than that and was fine but this year it was not working at all, when I got home I washed it for the very first time since I've owned it and seems like all the down is no longer there! I've let it dry and it seems better but I know I've read on here somewhere that a puffy will lose its insulating properties over time is there any truth to this?

Sounds like it is time to wash it (use something especially for down), then dry it according to instructions. Usually a tennis ball or similar in the dryer to agitate the down and fluff it up. Nikwax down wash is very popular. The down will eventually clump together and lose it's loft over time, especially if you store it packed away. It should be stored hanging, and not smashed in a corner of the closet.

Good advice above.

after a few years of using various puffies, I have noticed that when I use them as a midlayer or stack gear on top of them like a chest harness, I lose some insulation value. It makes sense because the puffy insulation - down or synthetic - is compressed by the garment or gear on top and doesn’t fully loft. Now I try to make sure I don’t constrict the insulation on my puffy if possible and they seem to function better.

From continual compression or the build up of sweat and dirt, down can lose loft—reducing the garment’s insulating effectiveness. When your down garment has lost it’s loftiness, it is recommended that this garment be washed. Although necessary, it is best to do it as sparingly as possible. Use a front-load washing machine and a down-specific detergent such as ReviveX Down Cleaner Concentrate. Use warm water on permanent press or gentle cycle and rinse twice to ensure all cleaner has been removed.

Remove excess water with a towel by patting dry. Dry the down garment on low heat with two clean tennis balls to help regain loft. If you don’t have tennis balls, you can substitute a pair of rolled up heavy socks. It is very important that you dry your down garment entirely, which may take upwards of 2 to 3 hours. Your down garment will not regain its loft until it is fully dry. Store unstuffed in a dry place.

-Sitka Website

OP
Colobwhntr

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Good info! Thanks I think that’s the problem I need to put some tennis balls in the dryer. I just hung it up to dry! Tried fluffing it up last night and seemed to help. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Colobwhntr

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Well I didn't have tennis balls but used some heavyweight sock rolled up and it worked awesome, I don't know about the insulation but the puff is back!
Thanks everyone!

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I know down loses loft when compressed, which is why you’re supposed to store it open and not squished. But does it lose loft overtime? My understanding was that synthetic loses loft quickly due to the fibers being broken down.

But natural down shouldn’t be degrading. It’s a feather that stays whole. Even packed compressed, once it’s shaken out and puffed back up it should be back to normal, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk